• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Thin wool socks for wide calves

shadoj

Angel Diva
I have a couple pairs of these the "ultra light weight" and the "light weight" the light weight is pretty thick though if you have tight fitting boots. The toe seam is large and annoying and seems to land in a wierd spot all the time for me. So I don't wear them in ski boots just occasionally in my work boots but because they're warm my feet sweat ! The calf ring isn't too bad after cutting a couple slits to 'expand' them a bit.
Yes, the toe seams are a bit thick, but they happen to fall in an OK spot for me. I don't have a lot of choices in my size! My roommate likes Eurosocks, but I haven't had a chance to try their junior versions yet.

My smartwool ski socks get folded down so the calf band is around my ankle; I wear them the with my work shoes/boots instead.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
I had forgotten that one reason against boiling socks for me is because I'm 5'4, so if I bought one size up and shrunk the foot part but left the calf as is, then the socks would be too long even if they'd be the right width.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Sockwell Full Floral Moderate Wides just arrived. Sadly, they’re going back. I’m a solid size 8 and the M/L (8-11) is too large around the foot. I recommend if anyone is a US 8 to purchase the S/M (4-7.5).

MissySki

Angel Diva
I don't have overly large calves, but usually my Smartwool socks fit just right. I got a new pair this season of the Smartwool zero cushion POW model and they are so comfy!!! They are taller and stretchier than past versions I have, I absolutely love them! So perhaps something to try for those who need more calf room, even if past versions were too tight. These are roomier than they used to be due to the extra stretch. I'm 5'4" but I have long legs and my lower leg especially is longer proportionally than it should be, so this year's version that I bought works exceptionally well for me all around.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve used Bridgedale race socks which are like stockings, but lately feel like I’m sliding / sloppy even in a new Intuition liner. They do fit my calves though. I’ve been sock hoppin trying to find socks that can take up some room in the toe because this is where I’m having big toe trauma. At Taos, I bought a pair of FITS ski socks on their shop recommendation and really like them but still thinner than I probably need. I do have a pair of Smartwools that work but think those POW models might be something I could try. Thanks @MissySki for the info.

halfling_eastcoast

Diva in Training
I don't have overly large calves, but usually my Smartwool socks fit just right. I got a new pair this season of the Smartwool zero cushion POW model and they are so comfy!!! They are taller and stretchier than past versions I have, I absolutely love them! So perhaps something to try for those who need more calf room, even if past versions were too tight. These are roomier than they used to be due to the extra stretch. I'm 5'4" but I have long legs and my lower leg especially is longer proportionally than it should be, so this year's version that I bought works exceptionally well for me all around.
Ohh thanks for another great idea!!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This will make me sound like a proper diva but I only use Bridgedale UltraFit merino socks. Plus point is that I've got at least 100 days on a couple of pairs and there's very little sign of wear. My husband also swears by them - he tends to destroy clothing and even he's managed to make them last several full seasons.

alicie

Angel Diva
I just wear the no padding smart wool socks. They go over my calves pretty well and my calves are 19/20 inches. And I’m a little bit taller than you, only by an inch or so. Not sure how big your calves are though, they could be bigger. But I’ve never had issues with socks.

halfling_eastcoast

Diva in Training
This will make me sound like a proper diva but I only use Bridgedale UltraFit merino socks. Plus point is that I've got at least 100 days on a couple of pairs and there's very little sign of wear. My husband also swears by them - he tends to destroy clothing and even he's managed to make them last several full seasons.
Socks of steel! Thanks for sharing your suggestion!

halfling_eastcoast

Diva in Training
I just wear the no padding smart wool socks. They go over my calves pretty well and my calves are 19/20 inches. And I’m a little bit taller than you, only by an inch or so. Not sure how big your calves are though, they could be bigger. But I’ve never had issues with socks.
Thanks for the idea Unfortunately all smart wool socks just cut off my circulation ;(

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I’ve found Smartwool women’s are too tight on my large calves, but the mens in the same size fit just fine and they come up a little higher too.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
@racetiger Thanks for the tip to cut off the top ring of the socks - that worked beautifully with the 2 pairs of Smartwool ski socks that I have owned for several years, though it might make me cringe to buy new socks to do that right away!

Warning/apologies to those who were going to try the Sockwell Wide-Calf socks from REI - after washing them and trying them on again, I agree with @bsskier that the M/L is too big for my size 8 feet :( I am going to return them to REI and may repurchase in the smaller size

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve found Smartwool women’s are too tight on my large calves, but the mens in the same size fit just fine and they come up a little higher too.
Agree with this. They leave compression lines on my calves for days. I’m going to try cutting the sock tops of the Smartwools I have. What a costly experiment for all of us with athletic calves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna