• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The WARMEST Base Layer

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
The quest continues! So far I've struck out with Hot Chillys La Montanas (too big), the Patagonia Capilene 4 (just got them in the mail today, and don't like them), and the CW-X insulated tights (too long; I don't like them in my boots, and they're too compression fit to roll up).

Anyone else have any suggestions for a WARM base layer?

Jenny

Angel Diva
I've only worn them twice so far but I like the Mountain Hardwear polartec powerstetch tights. They're the same as the Cloudveil Run Don't Walk but cheaper. Found some online for @$50 with shipping (backcountry.com maybe?) and they're $65 in the stores here.

roheela

Certified Ski Diva
I am a cold, cold person...pretty much ALWAYS freezing, especially when I'm on the mountain. I literally wear like four layers of clothing!

anyhow, for bottoms I've always worn my North Face fleece leggings and LOVED them. unfortunately, I went to get a new pair (since my leggings have also worn super thin), but to my disappointment, I found that TNF has changed their underlayers. :( needless to say, I've been on the hunt for new baselayers ever since. here's what I've come up with.

the tops I rotate between are Icebreaker, Smartwool and Craft. I love them all. honestly, I can't say enough about them. as for bottoms, my boyfriend bought me two pairs of Smartwool top-of-boot leggings from Steep & Cheap, so I gave them a go this past weekend in Whistler. they were fantastic! :clap: Smartwool offers three weights: micro, light, and mid. the ones my boyfriend bought me were the lightweight ones, and like I said, they were great. now I'm searching for a pair of the midweight ones...just in case we have any really frigid days. :becky:

G Hoodie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another vote here for Smartwool. Long, last forever, super uber soft and comfy, and they don't stink like capeline when you get them sweaty. I have converted whole-heartedly to Smartwool EVERYTHING because they've worked the best for me. A little more pricey, but well worth it.

Icebreaker is another great soft wool blend as well.

skilove1

Diva in Training
Patagonia and Smartwool

Definitely:

Patagonia Wool 3 or 4
Smartwool Midweight (that's their heaviest weight)

I wouldn't try anything else! Pure wool is always the best. Warmest, and best for trips where you won't be able to do laundry!

KauaiShan

Certified Ski Diva
Under Armour 3.0

I just got a pair of the Under Armour 3.0 bottoms and love them. They are much warmer than my previous Under Armour frosty tights. They are a "grid" pattern of thin microfleece on the inside and they are really soft.

skidaup

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This was probably the best thread I have read on the whole forum, I had no idea that a wool base layer could make such as difference for me. I got 2 new tops and 1 bottom for Christmas and they are pure heaven, they don't get stinky and they are super warm. I have been wearing them hiking, running, skiing, and X country skiing, they are awesome. Thanks Diva's for sharing!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I have Smartwool and Icebreaker Merino Wool in several thicknesses, tops and bottoms. They work real well. But I also have the CW-X Insulated which have been doing the job the last few really cold days in Colorado. I can roll them up just enough that they do not cause any discomfort in my ski boots.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna