• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The WARMEST Base Layer

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So now, at the end of the season, I've discovered that my favorite, warmest pair of Patagonia Expedition Weight Capilene baselayer bottoms has a big hole in them!

Trouble is, it's pretty pricey stuff. So who here has a pair of really warm baselayer bottoms they love, and what is it? I'd like to cash in on an end of the year sale. Any replacement suggestions?

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where is the whole? Maybe geargrrl can repair?

I really like my REI Midweight MTS baselayers but they have an expedition weight as well.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Personally I prefer the patagonia as well. I find alot of other synthetics get crunchy after awhile. I bought my daughter the regulator bottoms, pretty spendy, but she never gets cold. I have the top which is one of my favorite peices of clothing period. It takes the place of three layers by it's grid design, which is nice because you don't feel like the michellen (sp) man.. Personally I think the bottoms would be overkill for regular adult on area skiing though. Anyway, I think that if you go to the patagonia website, the winter stuff has been on huge sale recently, I just got an email a day or so ago about more sale stuff, so you might want to check it out.

climber.girl1

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Arc'teryx makes a base layer called the Rho SV that's made out of the same stuff as the expedition weight Patagonia (thick, fleecy on the inside, hard-face on the outside). I got a pair of Steep and Cheap last winter, and they work exactly like the Pat one's which I also have.

However, lately I have taken to wearing smartwool midweight long johns. I have two pair, one larger than the other. On really col days, I wear both pair and I'm nice and toasty. :smile:

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Smartwool! I can't say enough good things about them. Most of my baselayers are Smartwool. Soft, comfy and warm!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
CW-X tights although if it's cold I wear a layer of power stretch fleece over them. I'm usually not cold while skiing but get cold on the chair.
When it's really cold I add an old Hind pant

All week I've been trying to find the right combination for the not so spring temps we've been having. Tues. I wore my tights with a pair of Solomon stretch? pants that I was told would be good for spring skiing. Because it was windy and mostly cloudy I was cold and the air went right though the pants, I wished I had on another layer. I felt cold all day.

Wed. I wore a pair of shells over my tights and power stretch fleece. I felt pretty good but was cold when the wind kicked up. In the afternoon the sun came out and then I was sticky hot!

Thurs. it was windier and colder with a little snow. I decided to try out my brand new Cloudveil Zero G pants with my CW-X tights. At the top wind and snow was blowing and I did feel the cold somewhat on my legs. The interesting thing is that my upper body felt colder and I was well layered. Ocassionally the sun came out and it would suddenly warm up. When that happens my legs are too warm with my tights on but I didn't not have that overheated feeling in the Zero G pants.

My theory is that because of the quality of materials of the Cloudveil pants over my less expensive gear, I didn't need as many layers to stay warm.

Today I got the Cloudveil Spacewalk jacket so next week we'll see how it works on the ski slope.

I'm also on the lookout for the Zero G jacket, for a good price. If I find I don't have to layer like crazy to stay warm I may be getting rid of my other jackets in favor of Cloudveil products.

Btw, I've been buying the Cloudveil gear online at some ridiciously low prices. :laugh:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^ Where, I might ask and plea, are these good online Cloudveil deals? Come on, be a sport, share!

For the heavweight base layer, I'm a Hot Chilly fan. Having some problems finding the 4 way stretch polar fleece bottoms I've been wearing in balmy Maine for quite a few years, but have switched to CW-X insulated (but no super-cold day trial w/those yet).

I have heard, though, that the SmartWools are terrific. Good luck in your quest!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's very hit and miss. I got a 06-07 Koven Jacket from Tahoe Mounttain Sports for $100. Then last week I saw they had the 06-07 Spacewalk jacket for $85.99. Koven pants came from KL-Cloudveil Sports for $189, Cloudveilgear.com, and the Zero G pants $189 came from a place in Bozeman Montana, Frontcountry.com

I was willing to pay more for the pants because they were hard to find in my size.

The catch is the store has 1 left in a particular size. As soon as I order the site will say sold out or the item disappears. The sizes vary from xs to large.

The prices I've found have been better than the Cloudveil site or the KL site but the clothing is 06-07. For the price, who cares?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Will check these out, many thanks!

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LL I guess we posted at the same time. I bought the $85 Spacewalk last week :D and now they're all sold out. REI is now starting to carry Cloudveil, which is exciting...

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is also Teton Village Sports, they're 25-50% off right now.

Jaydog, did you get lavender/powder in xs? That's the one I got.

I know REI is selling Cloudveil. At the anniversary sale I got the Ice Flower hoody for $50, regular price $150! :laugh:

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jaydog, did you get lavender/powder in xs? That's the one I got.

Got it in small. We've had nothing but supreme wetness since it arrived so I haven't been able to try it out yet. Softshells just don't work in spring PNW wet snow, unfortunately. (That's what my Koven is for)

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wind is the issue here, yesterday there were gusts over 40mph although the temps were in the 30's. Which means dressing is hard when the temps are warm but the wind goes straight though you and keeps you cold.

When I ordered my Spacewalk Jacket they only had it in an xs and right after I ordered it was "sold-out"

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't even know what my base layers are....just stuff I found at the LL Bean outlet. I'm hoping to get up there this weekend and see if there's any winter stuff left.

C

CMCM

Icebreakers!

I've worn Icebreakers all year....long johns, socks (the thin ones are best) and a t-shirt type top. These are ALL I wore (no sweater) under my ski pants and down ski jacket, and I was never the least bit cold no matter what the weather. I was amazed at the warmth because of how relatively thin the material is. They have two thicknesses, and I have the heavier of the two, but it is by no means bulky or thick...just barely thicker than the "thin" one. For the socks, I found their thinner ones worked better. The thicker, more padded ones were just too bulky in my ski boot.

The great thing about Icebreakers is that you can wear them several days if need be and they don't get stinky. Wash in the washer, dry in t he dryer. They are better than anything I've tried. They're expensive, but after a year of use, they'll be fine next year too...they've held up really well.

Their site is www.icebreaker.com

powdergirl

Diva in Training
Ski Diva,
Since those bottoms are your favorites and from Patagonia, don't throw them out...call Patagonia or take them to a Patagonia store. They will fix their clothing or replace it if they can't fix it. I've taken stuff in a couple of times and they've never wanted to charge me because of wear and tear.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I actually sent them back to Patagonia. I bought them in '04, and I know Patagonia has a great guarantee/return policy. They've issued me a credit, but not for the whole amount (I can't blame them; the pair was four years old!). So I tried that route already.

Someone also suggested I get them repaired, but I'm afraid that won't possible. First of all, Patagonia kept the pair I sent back. And second, the hole was in the material itself, not the seam. So that's out.

I did manage to find a pair on-line at close-out last night, so my order's already in. Gotta love the internet!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yay! You know you gotta love Patagonia for their warranty. I got to the point with ski clothing etc. about a year ago when everything I owned self destructed and went back to buying all Patagonia. Two reasons, the warranty, and I had several 15-20 year old pieces hanging in my closet collecting dust. Other than a little fading here and there, they were all in too good of shape to get rid of, but truly a little to dated to wear. Of course, I will be breaking a few out for spring skiing here in the next couple weeks....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna