• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The Skier Test

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, the huge "Inept Skier" thread got me thinking about this. All Alta employees (and their families with season passes) are required to take, and pass, the Alta Skier Test. A lot of this has to do with skier safety and codes of conduct. To see your results, you have to put in your name, address, etc. But either way, there is some very useful information regarding "polite skiing."

https://www.alta.com/test/index.htm

(pop up blockers need to be off)

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Wait, where's the question about how to properly elbow slower skiers off the traverse? They must have forgotten that one... ;) HAR HAR.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I passed the test!

Here at PCMR, part of our orientation session is spent on the Code. We have to take a test at the end of our training session, and part of it is on the Code. We have daily safety meetings before going out to the lifts and many days contain discussions of the Code. I do like the idea of having to have the certificate for all who want a season pass - it shows how serious a resort is about the people skiing and working at the resort.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm guessing most resorts train their employees on safety. I've been a host at both Solitude and Brighton and have had mandatory mountain safety trainings, in addition to resort and position policies, before the season begins. The safety sessions had to be attended before the seasons pass was issued.

Alta's extension of the training on line and beyond the direct employees is innovative.

At Brighton, when we take guest tours, we are trained to provide an overview of basic safety code before and during the tour (sorry Rachel---I skipped over this part of your tour)......:doh::doh:

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our safety meetings are daily. It helps us go over the hiccups or hurrahs that happened the day before AND to make us aware of any potential situations to look for today. We also get reminded about our personal ski/ride behavior on the runs. And, for the test after orientation training - if you don't pass, you don't work.

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is a great test. Plants fresh awareness of the things we think we already know.

The first two questions raise a question for me, particularly given my story recounted in the "Inept Skier" thread: On right-of-way responsibility, on the one hand the downhill skier has right of way BUT if that person turns suddenly to enter/change trails, he/she must look uphill and yield. Of course ideally BOTH uphill and downhill/turning skiers should be aware/yielding to each other, and there will be no problem. But in the real world....

Hmm, so back to this test and daily safety meetings, what would give the same effect on regular skiers who are not required to meet or take the test to get a pass? I guess this is where clever advertising techniques are needed -- some signage that changes, perhaps? With humor, to catch attention and just refresh what we "know" but need to practice better?

Jen

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't think of any way to better "educate" the casual skiing public. But, for student passes that are given at a discount, perhaps a required education class and the test before they can get the pass??

Pattn

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for posting this. I was run over by an uphill skier this year. Nearly 40 years of skiing and I've never experienced anything remotely close to this. Broken bones in my face, terrible facial bruising, surgery to line my cheek bone back up, time off work, numbness, can't chew correctly, off the snow (but counting my blessings...I'm still here)....and all because of sheer disregard and recklessness.
Haven't started my letter writing campaign to the ski resort yet, but doing research on ski safety programs to gain a better understanding. The NSAA actually does awards for safety programs every year. This test is great. Hope Alta is recognized for it and I hope other ski areas learn from it. It's time for the ski industry to step up and take control of educating their customers...regularly. I fear if they don't the industry will ultimatley lose out when people decide not to ski due to unacceptable risk levels caused by other customers. Thanks again for posting.

tamlyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh cool I passed the test LOL now where is my seasons pass? Actually the industry could come up with a more generalized test for all skiers to take once, then issue a ski license good at any ski area. This would be shown before purchasing a lift ticket. If such a test were instituted just once it would be a very small inconvenience and even give new skiers a sense of pride in being a licensed skier. As long as the industry didn't begin to use it as a profit center, or try to make people renew it I doubt many people would complain. It would solve alot of problems. The only negative would be asking people who already have skied for years to do it, but I am sure there is a way around that.
Tami (gravity girl)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna