• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The eye has it

newboots

Angel Diva
Hilarious!

I broke a blood vessel in my eye once. No pain, but half of my eye was a rather spectacular bright red. Terrifying!

So glad you made it!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Chicago is bad, Atlanta is worse.
It's hard to predict. I flew via Chicago Midway for both of my Southwest flights to Albuquerque this winter for Taos. No weather issues at all. In Jan, my ski buddy had a lot of trouble just getting out of Ohio where he lives.

One year, it was my connection in Baltimore that was impacted by a snowstorm.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That boot.... Wow. I'm surprised it didn't cause another blood vessel to burst in your eye.

Is Chicago really that bad? Crap, I have a layover there on my way to big sky in a week or so.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That boot.... Wow. I'm surprised it didn't cause another blood vessel to burst in your eye.

Is Chicago really that bad? Crap, I have a layover there on my way to big sky in a week or so.

Chicago really depends on weather. Also there are conditions where flights go from O’Hare when they can’t at Midway. This was the first time I ever had an issue. But depending on the day, all northern parts of the US were affected by wind. My early morning flight was canceled the evening before. I rebooked for the afternoon flight and got out as Midway had opened. If I hadn’t gotten out, I would have been stuck. Most of the flights out of Providence were canceled for high winds on Monday. I hear the winds were still high on Tuesday. Mother Nature rules our lives!

MissySki

Angel Diva
For my problems going through Chicago, weather was never the issue at all. Can’t say why my checked stuff always seems to fall into an abyss there! Lol One time I was told that they had to leave behind everyone’s skis and large checked bags due to a weight issue. So it was intentional, which was somehow even more frustrating to me even though I’m sure they didn’t make that decision lightly. Would’ve been great to have some warning when getting off the plane and expecting your stuff to be there.. Not sure what happened the other two times, but now I just avoid it period. I’ve never had my skis or luggage lost anywhere else, so their track record of 3 times for me certainly stands out!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Any potential weather issues are worth watching starting 3-4 days away from your departure date if going thru Chicago or Denver during the winter. The airlines can do much about that.

As for issues in Chicago, keep in mind that O'Hare and Midway airports are very different in size and which airlines use them as hubs.

I've never had an issue flying Southwest via Midway for ski trips that weren't weather related. O'Hare is another story completely. My experience with O'Hare in the last few decades is not for ski trips though.

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those boots!!! I’m not a bling girl but if I had the $$$ I’d totally buy them just because I’ve never seen anything like them before! They’re spectacular!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, but @Abbi - how is the skiing?

You want everything! It’s been really good! Not that I’m really good. But it has snowed a bit each day. Of course today I managed to decide to go up and take a slightly stiffer than what I’m used to blue run. I got to the top and it was pretty much a whiteout. I was already going to have to gear myself up for that run. Not being able to see did not help me much at all! I asked the mountain host about taking the green run down. I had heard it was more of a cat track. She advised against it because it has drops up drop offs that you can’t see when it’s whiteout! It wasn’t pretty but I made my way down. Halfway down I could see a little better.

Yesterday I skied with a girlfriend who lives out here. She would dive around most things and was very charitable about staying at my level. We went in and got Rossignol skis to demo. The first pair I was on I hated. Can’t tell you which ones they were of course! I went back in and got a shorter somewhat narrower ski and had a much better time with it. The man initially wanted to give me skis that were 13 cm long then what I usually ski. Yeah no to that! My friend said I looked better on those than my regular skis. Who knows! But we finished. Again it was snowing so hard we couldn’t see much. I’m not that trusting about bombing through piles of snow I can’t see. Yes they get out of your way a little faster but they’re still there. And the groomers do get scratchy in the afternoon. So we quit and went for late lunch and apres ski on Main Street in Park City. Good day with an old friend!

@Tvan - I thought of you when I hit the outlets today. I snagged an Eddie Bauer down ski jacket for $32.67. The original tag was $249.99. I’m pretty pleased with that one! I also got enough base layers so that I don’t have to do laundry here tonight before I need clothes tomorrow. Not a bad afternoon of fun there either.

I’m going to ski at least the morning tomorrow. And then I have to grab my gear and head to the airport. I think I’m going to try the Uber thing and see how it goes.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also managed to lose a Hotronic boot heater today. And a Komperdell helmet liner yesterday. I hope there is some lost and found at the lodge and my boot heater is around. If not, it was my fault for not getting it in the bag.

Tvan

Angel Diva
My enabling reputation is intact! Phew, I was afraid I was losing my touch! ;)

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My enabling reputation is intact! Phew, I was afraid I was losing my touch! ;)

Well I didn’t buy the peach colored ski pants at the Columbia outlet. I think those would’ve been about $59. I couldn’t justify a fifth pair of ski pants!

Tvan

Angel Diva
Peach is a great color for you...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna