• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The East Coast Whine Thread

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I know it's been a banger season out West (believe me, I don't begrudge them that). And I know that no one likes a complainer. But honestly, I've resisted as long as I can.

Where the heck is our winter, East Coast?

THIS was one year ago today:

10750485_10152876875470446_2541728335273951875_o.jpg

Instead, today I wake up to the sound of pouring rain. The temperatures are warm, and I know it's destroying what little skiing is out there.

Last year by this time I had 20 ski days. This year, 8. And not very satisfying ones at that. Limited terrain, sketchy conditions, not one flake of natural snow. I've already posted about why this is happening. But that doesn't make it any better.

I'll stop now. But if anyone wants to join the kvetch fest, feel free. Venting may not change Mother Nature, but it may make you feel a bit better.

Last edited:
I am very happy for our friends out west but I want to slap my friends who who live here, don't love winter who are happy the weather is how it is right now. I am also trying not to be a miserable biotch at home but come on ma nature. By this time of the year I usually have 6 or so days in and this year I am at 3. I am sadly counting the one day we were having a clinic on patches of snow as one of my 3 days. I am having a very hard time and looking at the weather over the next 10 days doesn't help. My home mountain might be able to open this weekend but then the weather next week will likely destroy any snow they blow this weekend. At least they'll be able to blow snow starting friday night in Vermont again so I'll be able to hit it sunday in "decent" conditions but this is truly not how I envisioned things. I ended last season on such a high note and did my best to enjoy summer. However, I have been looking forward to the start of our season since the last one ended and I feel this is a cruel joke by mother nature.

I will likely get to go to a friends christmas party this saturday that I rarely get to attend but frankly I'd rather be skiing like usual.

Maybe I shouldn't have put the patio furniture away so soon, maybe I shouldn't have bought aggressive winter tread tires for my Jeep, maybe....... maybe......

I am seriously bummin.............

:frusty:

Jilly

Staff member
Haha...I know where this came from....

I am loving the fact that I don't need cold weather gear to get around town, but......School is out this weekend and there is no snow on the local bump. No ski hill open anywhere in Ontario. Limited conditions in Quebec and upper NY. (Snow Ridge is closer than Tremblant) And no sign of any appreciable snow coming.

I spent a lot of money to ski/stay at Tremblant this year. Normally I would go this weekend, but I think I'll stay home. Last weekend I cleaned my house. This weekend I'll help at the local ski shop as he's usually swamped.

I just have to remind myself that this is good for me and my knees. Getting more rehab in without damaging anything skiing.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The flowers are coming up/blooming here in PA. It's more than a bit not good.

It feels like spring out there and is 60 degrees where I am. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I worked in the yard Saturday, cutting down things that generally wait until spring. Nothing is blooming, though, thankfully.

jellyflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I join. Not from the East coast, but from Europe. Same here - way too warm, no snow in sight. I got so frustrated that I have now booked a flight into Georgia for Saturday. I am really excited, it will be a real adventure to visit this country PLUS there is a good chance to see some powder snow there!!

I am really very sorry that we put all our patio furniture away at the end of October, that and put flannel sheets on the bed. All of this is my fault.

:rolleyes:

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think you can pin this on me. Not only did I buy a Subaru, I also bought new skis. Looking at new boots too. All my fault.

But like Ski Diva, I have a cold, so I'm not up for much right now anyway. pleah. Double whine.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The flowers are coming up/blooming here in PA. It's more than a bit not good.
Yep, the bulbs are halfway up already in NC. I bet they bloom for Christmas after a short cold spell that is only supposed to last 3-4 days.

I was going to do a day trip to check out the new 6-pack at Sugar at some point in Dec. Met someone interested in doing the beginner package mid-week. Not happening . . . :frown:

I am assuming my home mountain in western Mass won't be opening so I am planning on heading to Mount Snow on Sunday again. Although if this keeps up Mount Snow will be my home mountain. Hopefully they'll be able to blow snow friday and saturday nights so it will be decent when I get there. Why am I going one might ask, well maybe its a little desperation, maybe I just want to ski but hoping that colder temps and 2 nights of snow blowing will make for a fun day.

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have really mixed feelings. On one hand, I love that I was able to trail ride with friends and our horses on Saturday in a Tshirt.

But on the other hand, I want to skiiiiiiiiiiii and its hard to get into the Christmas spirit when its 70 degrees out. Boo. Im worried our NYE ski trip will be ruined by the lack of cold.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am right there with you! It doesn't feel like the holidays to me at all, and I think the warmth must be at least partially to blame. I have no decorations up yet, and honestly I'm thinking about not even bothering with it this year because what's the point now??? lol No shopping has been done either, which I really really need to begin. So yeah, I'm all bah humbug, and can I skip it all this year?

Please do bring on the cold and snow though.. anytime now would be great!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I feel for the east coast crowd. Was it... 2007 that it basically didn't snow in the northeast til Valentine's Day? There were definitely 1 or 2 really terrible starts when I lived back east. The good news is, it always snows eventually.

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All my snow hating friends and relatives are particularly smug this season. My aunt even posted a meme to my Facebook page that said, "For those of you who are praying for a blizzard, go to Dairy Queen." Grrrrr. It's the same here in the Midwest, although I hear that northern WI got slammed by an ice storm last night, so maybe there's hope.

About 3 years ago, we didn't get to ski until after Christmas. That's a month late for us, but we also had some late snow that extended the season by a couple weeks.

All my snow hating friends and relatives are particularly smug this season. My aunt even posted a meme to my Facebook page that said, "For those of you who are praying for a blizzard, go to Dairy Queen." Grrrrr.

This.

My snow hating friends and relatives are the same way. It pisses me off. They are smug............... My Aunt posted on facebook that its a great flip flop day out there, sorry surfsnowgirl and she tagged me.

My reply is yeah you enjoy this warm weather now but once winter gets here she'll grab on and not let go for a good long time...... I hope we have winter into April!!!!!!!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are not alone ladies. I haven't even turned the heating on in my apartment in the mountains. Inversions are massive and while it's nice to leave foggy Geneva and see the sun, it's still very wrong to have 2 degrees at 400m and 10 degrees at 1500m. There is some snow and snow making is on whenever night temperatures permit, but I want real snow. Plus with holidays approaching I am kind of not looking forward to skiing on limited icy pistes with crowds. Some friends have already rented out their place and decided to go to Thailand for these two weeks, but a friend decided to visit me so I can't do the same, so guess will be bar-hopping on skis and working on our tans. At Christmas. And my heating bill will be low…

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna