• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The 2009 Triathlon Motivation Thread

lovebug

Certified Ski Diva
throw-back diva here. I use an old fashioned notebook! I'm never any good at updating the electronic ones. It helps that I k ow the mileage of my routes. Embarassing though :bag:

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, question for y'all. What system do you use for tracking all your fabulous workouts?

Robyn, go to beginner triathlete and create an account. The log function that has been built there cannot be beat. You can add ANY exercise you can think of, even those outside of tri. There is quite an extensive database there now.

There is a place to log each of the three disciplines, including multiple daily workouts. You can log 2 separate bike rides, or 2 separate runs, swims. The site graphs and charts it all, keeping an ongoing record of everything you enter. You can enter race splits as well, and compare the same race on different years, or same distance different races. And on and on it goes.

You can also chose to make your log private so no one else can see it, or keep it public so others can see what you've been up to and leave little "inspires."

I've been logging workouts on BT since it started, 2002/2003, can't remember. Doesn't matter really, everything I've ever put there is still there. You can use it as a free site or upgrade to unlock other features. I haven't upgraded since I'm not tri-ing these days, and all the info is still there.

I met the site owner a few years at a triathlon near where I now live. Ron is a great guy who created the site just to have a place for people to gather and try to get healthy and talk about tri. It has really exploded into an A+ tri site. They are always working on improving the site and you never know what's coming down the pike next.

Ok, so it sounds like I have a financial interest in that site huh? I don't. Funny tho, almost all of my friends are people I met through BT. The forum is full of awesome people like SD. It is moderated so trolling and the BS you find on other sites doesn't exist. There are separate forums for states along with different topics.

ok, I'm done. Gonna go log today's skiing on BT :smile:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm looking into www.trainingpeaks.com which so far I really like. I like the dashboard feature especially as I can rate my fatigue, stress, soreness etc as well. The upgraded version has the ability to upload from a lot of different devices. If I end up liking it I plan on giving my coach the ability to log into my account to see what I'm doing.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Swamp Dog, what's your BT name?? I think I knew at one point but not now? Anyway if you don't mind I'll add you to my list of friends and then I can send you inspires!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm Kimmyt most everywhere on the web :smile:

Bing

Angel Diva
I've used training peaks and felt it was a good training program - the additional nutrition calculator, however, sucks.

Tri hard !

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Swamp Dog, what's your BT name?? I think I knew at one point but not now? Anyway if you don't mind I'll add you to my list of friends and then I can send you inspires!

I changed my BT name to just my real name. I'm EllenG over there :smile:

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As far as the 10k training plan, I'm a big fan of Hal Higdon's training plans. He has everything from 5k on up, and at beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. I used his beginner plan for my first half-marathon last year and I was really happy with it. Enough training without overdoing it, and a lot of flexibility.

itri - Thank you so much. This is perfect for my current comfort zone. You rock!!!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're quite welcome. Me and Hal, we're tight. :wink:

Speaking of which, I just officially pulled the trigger on the Platte River Half-marathon and registered. :eek: 12 weeks to get in half-mary shape. :eek: And 2 days. That 2 days is important! :laugh: Time to get friendly with my buddy Mr. Higdon again... :faint:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bumpity bump bump. How's everyone doing? I'm having a bit of a hard time getting more than 5-6 hours of training in each week outside of skiing. I just can't get my arse out of bed to do it before work. Generally a spin is the thing that gets cut out of my schedule but occasionally other stuff (lost a run and swim last week as well). At this point I'm not making it home after my workouts until 7:30 or 8 which presents an eating problem as well. I know things will get easier when I'm not skiing every weekend but for now I'm slightly frustrated and very sleepy.

Skimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Speaking of which, I just officially pulled the trigger on the Platte River Half-marathon and registered. :eek: 12 weeks to get in half-mary shape. :eek:

I'm sure DD will do the Platte River Relay with her friends again, she has done it two previous years now! So I will root for you as I drive the kids along. (unless track season derails her from racing).

I'm in for Tri for the Cure again. Must beat last year's time!:becky:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skimom, I was just thinking about you tonight and wondering if you were going to do Tri for the Cure again! It's not on my schedule because I've got other races too close but I'm thinking I'll probably volunteer again.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bumping up for a race report and to say...

GOOD LUCK, SHANNOND!!!!! :banana::banana::banana: Go get 'em tomorrow!

Warning...I tend to be very long-winded with these. :bag: :laugh:

I raced this morning in the second of the Chilly Cheeks Winter Duathlon Series. I arrived this morning just about an hour before race time and man was it COLD.
cold.gif
The forecast was for a high of 60, so for some reason I thought it would be much warmer than it actually was at race time. After standing around and freezing for a good 15-20 minutes debating if I should change, I decided to put on warmer clothes. Duh. My friend Amy showed up to cheer me on, and kept me company until the race started. I was in wave A, so there wasn't much time to putter around. Before I knew it, we were off!

This was a really unique race. The distance for all three races in the series is about the same, 4 mile run and 10-ish on the bike, but each is in a different format. This particular race is a 1.5 mile run, 3.6 mile bike, 2.5 mile run, 2 more laps on the bike (7-ish miles), rack your bike and run across the finish line. It's a little crazy but fun! I tried to be really conscious about not taking it out too fast in the first run, even though it was tempting. I caught myself dipping below 9 minute pace a couple of times and really had to concentrate not to blow it all out too early. That's normally a decent goal pace for me, but I'm nowhere near back to that level yet since my surgery. My breathing started going downhill pretty quickly, because I was going way too fast. There was a girl about 25 or 30 feet ahead of me that I was trying to keep in my sights. I couldn't quite seem to catch up to her, but I just wanted to stick with her. Every 3 minutes (the time between waves), a bunch of guys and some fast girls would go flying by.
Sheepish.gif

I came into transition, changed into my bike shoes, grabbed my helmet, and headed out. It was kind of cool that they actually let us ride our bikes in transition (usually a big no-no), as long as we weren't "racing" in transition. Out for one loop of the bike course. There's a pretty big hill straight out of transition, so that was rough. I got passed on that hill by the girl I had been eyeing on the run (I beat her out of transition), and we passed each other another two or three times in the three miles. I ended up passing her for good, but she beat me out of the transition onto the run, and I could see her just up ahead.

The second run was tough. For some reason, I always think that this particular race venue is flat and it is SO NOT FLAT. Not huge hills, but pretty big for me since I usually run flat. I caught and passed the girl I had been jockeying with around 3/4 of a mile in, and I was really afraid she was going to catch me. I was still trying to maintain a reasonable pace without killing myself. I glanced at my Garmin occasionally, but wasn't really trying to pace myself based on anything besides my breathing. If it started getting too rough, I would back down a little. I hit the turn-around and started looking for "the girl". I was really surprised that I didn't see her. She was probably a tenth of a mile or so behind me at that point! Woohoo! The way back in was a little easier, just knowing that most of the running was done. I caught some people walking and just going generally slow, and was determined that *I* was NOT going to walk.

Back into transition, switched my shoes again, and out for two laps on the bike course this time. The hardest thing ever is having to keep going after the first lap, especially when other people are finishing. Man, did I want to turn in instead of going straight! The second lap was tough, my knee was starting to get a little irritated. And I had taken my windbreaker off during the second run, and it was a little chilly on the downhill sections of the bike. But I just kept telling myself that it was almost over. Soon enough, I was cruising into transition. I got my shoes off while still on the bike and ran across the finish line in my socks and bike helmet.
orngbiggrin.gif

My overall time was 1:26:46, and both run paces were under 11 min, so I'm THRILLED with that. In fact, the second (longer) run was 10:19 pace! My bike times were slow (15 mph) but that's to be expected, hopefully I can start building them up soon!

I feel pretty good now, just really tired. I got some ice on my knee as soon as I got home, and it seems to be ok. I think it's just not quite up to race speed yet, and the pain that I'm feeling is in a different spot than my pre-op pain, so I'm not too worried about it. And I've got a month till the next race to keep getting back into shape and stronger and faster!

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the funny part about the girl that I was competing with for the first half of the race. There was a friend of a friend that found my blog a while back and we've been chatting in comments, and then she friended me on Facebook last week. I knew she was going to be at the race, but wasn't able to figure out who she was before it started. After the race, I was standing there talking to my friend, and she found me. Yep, it was "the girl".
lol.gif

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
wow so many who do tri's. I running in my first ever marathon one week from today! and honestly I'm scared to death. last year I completed a half, and did some other runs as well couple 5k's and the 7 mile bridge run. but I've always said I would run a marathon before I turn 40, well guess what, 40 is almost here.ugh. I don't think I'll be able to run the whole thing, fell off training in oct, and never really got back on track. but I just want to finish. then was thinking tris would be more fun. break it up. so might try the tri in march here in miami. just got to get out west in feb to ski:banana:

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Funny... I'm doing a trail run next weekend called the Chilly Cheeks!

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
GOOD LUCK, SHANNOND!!!!! :banana::banana::banana: Go get 'em tomorrow!

Thanks sweetie. Unfortunately, I'm an injured Diva. I am pretty sure that I pulled a muscle in my groin (geez I hate that word). So, running is super painful and with a big ski trip coming up, I bagged the race.

So glad to hear that your race went well. Congrats!!!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Doh! So sorry to hear that, Shannon. Take care of yourself so you can get back to skiing and training soon! :hug:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga