• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Technique help

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry, I'm editing all my posts, which may be confusing!

Aligned doesn't necessarily mean "upright"--ultimately you end up with all your parts aligned and most of the time they're tilted to one side or another.

At first it can seem like you have to do so many things at the same time. My habit is to take just one suggestion--whichever one makes the most sense at the moment--and try to implement it. At the very start, once I could do a snowplow, making my poles and therefore my shoulders face downhill made a big difference and gave me a general idea of what a turn should feel like.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Hey Frenchgirl, how long have you been skiing again (forgot)? Pretty recently, right? And you're on Tierras?

Two words: you're obsessing.
Don't think there's a whole lot wrong with what you're currently doing as an intermediate. The old old old name for how you're skiing is called a skidded parallel christie. It's a stage of skiing. (dating myself with this name, so forget it til mountainxtc comes aboard, or Jilly, or someone current)

Yes, you have one turn that is stronger than the other. There are indeed drills that can determine what's going on with your left leg/foot to see what's up with control. We ALL have one turn that's stronger than the other -- those of us who have been at this awhile just are better able to camouflage it!

In the meantime, you are compensating, and you are stable, and you are turning.

ALL of the more dynamic aspects of turning WILL COME. Be more patient with yourself!

SO much about this learning process involves.....mileage. Turning turning turning 50,000 times.

If you are a first-year skier, I think you are doing extremely well. The stiffness is something of an anxiety-thing. As the miles pile on, you will become more relaxed.

Just.....keep.....skiing.
Your lessons will help guide the way.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
across a slope that tilts toward one side of the run or another). One way to make your upper body face downhill is to point both your poles towards your destination--which is usually different from the way your hips are pointing. You can even sort of punch them downhill. After the snowplow, this was the most helpful thing I learned about skiing.

What this does is start you towards shifting your weight in a way that actually makes both skis turn; instead of you trying to twist them on edge, your weight pulls your skis into a tilt.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that next time I ski.

Hey Frenchgirl, how long have you been skiing again (forgot)? Pretty recently, right? And you're on Tierras?

This is my 3rd full season skiing. I skied a few days prior to that. The first year I had leased rental equipment(skis too short and boots too big). Then last year I got new boots, which were too big, so this year I have my boots well fitted I am focusing on my technique. I ski on Atomic Cloud 9, 151cm.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just try not to think too much! Don't worry about making things happen, just see what it feels like. Over-thinking is the biggest thing that's gotten me in trouble--but that goes for most things in my life.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just try not to think too much! Don't worry about making things happen, just see what it feels like. Over-thinking is the biggest thing that's gotten me in trouble--but that goes for most things in my life.

That is true for sure!:thumbsup:

Jilly

Staff member
One thing that I see in the video is Z turns. So some work on turn shape will help. You want a nice C, not a Z. So don't put on the brakes! Follow the arc of the skis

I think your stance is good. Loosen up girl!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Frenchgirl:

First of all . . . You look great! Totally controlled and making your way down the slope, going just where you want to go and how fast you want to go. :smile:

So many suggestions from all of us!! You must be going crazy! :D:D

Now that I see your video though, I can't refrain. :D

IMHO, There is just ONE thing to concentrate on first . . . what Jilly said!

Remember, earlier in the thread where "patience" was being discussed? That's absolutely the biggest issue I see. Think about getting on a shallower slope to practice this. Then think about the shape of your turn. Right now it looks like you spend most of your time in the traverse part, then the turn happens . . .. boom . . . all at once (that's the "Z" Jilly talked about). Instead, think about most of your time being in the turn . . . a long, curved, "C" turn . . . like Jilly said.

A drill I've seen to reinforce the patience idea is to start your turn to the point where you are facing directly downhill . . then pause and go straight for a moment or two! Then complete the turn. It gives you the rhythm and feeling of it a bit more. Of course, you need to be on an easy green to do this. And the movements need to eventually be linked and continuous . . .not jerky, sudden changes of direction. Just gradual easy pressure on the skis. You are bringing them around too quickly (for carving).

Other than that . . you look great. So go have fun!

(Oh yeah . . . . and I agree with others that you could chug a glass of wine before you get on the slopes . . . . :D:D) - loosen that lower back!

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry for my delay in replying - I've been out at a work function tonight - only just got home and it's after midnight (and I have pow to shred tomorrow) so this will be brief. Can elaborate more tomorrow.

Your stance is fine for now. You are not on your heels, you are not too stiff (maybe a little static, more on that later) and your hands are fine.

Jilly sees Z turns and suggests you try to make them more C. The next question you need to ask is how? What you need to work on first is lateral balance. This will enable you to eliminate the stem (wedge at the start of the turn) and grip rather than slide through the end of the turn. I prescribe lots and lots of outside ski turns followed by lots and lots of pole dragging.

Let me know if you have questions, I will write more at a more sensible hour!!

Goodnight :bolt:

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't see any pole plants - do you use them? I find this is very helpful in keeping my upper body loose and pointed in the right direction (and in keeping my hands up front). They also make my turns a whole lot snappier. I like what they do for my rhythm, stance, and turns so much I tend to use them even on easy terrain like this.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Remember, earlier in the thread where "patience" was being discussed? That's absolutely the biggest issue I see. Think about getting on a shallower slope to practice this. Then think about the shape of your turn. Right now it looks like you spend most of your time in the traverse part, then the turn happens . . .. boom . . . all at once (that's the "Z" Jilly talked about). Instead, think about most of your time being in the turn . . . a long, curved, "C" turn . . . like Jilly said.

A drill I've seen to reinforce the patience idea is to start your turn to the point where you are facing directly downhill . . then pause and go straight for a moment or two! Then complete the turn. It gives you the rhythm and feeling of it a bit more. Of course, you need to be on an easy green to do this. And the movements need to eventually be linked and continuous . . .not jerky, sudden changes of direction. Just gradual easy pressure on the skis. You are bringing them around too quickly (for carving).

Thanks everyone for the comments. They are very helpful! :thumbsup:

I worked yesterday on C turns and realized that it is easier to turn (down) if you are facing up a bit. For me anyway, rather than traversing and then turning. For me right now it is more traversing and then "ohh..I've got to turn...quick, turn! :laugh:"

Sorry for my delay in replying - I've been out at a work function tonight - only just got home and it's after midnight (and I have pow to shred tomorrow) so this will be brief. Can elaborate more tomorrow.

Your stance is fine for now. You are not on your heels, you are not too stiff (maybe a little static, more on that later) and your hands are fine.

Jilly sees Z turns and suggests you try to make them more C. The next question you need to ask is how? What you need to work on first is lateral balance. This will enable you to eliminate the stem (wedge at the start of the turn) and grip rather than slide through the end of the turn. I prescribe lots and lots of outside ski turns followed by lots and lots of pole dragging.

Let me know if you have questions, I will write more at a more sensible hour!!

Goodnight :bolt:

Thank you for answering. I do have a few questions:
1. "grip" you mean edge right?
2. "outside ski turns": do you mean to ski just on the outside leg as a drill?

I didn't see any pole plants - do you use them? I find this is very helpful in keeping my upper body loose and pointed in the right direction (and in keeping my hands up front). They also make my turns a whole lot snappier. I like what they do for my rhythm, stance, and turns so much I tend to use them even on easy terrain like this.

You do not see any pole plants because I do not pole plant at all. I only pole plant in desesperate occasions such as crud, pushed snow, heavy snow, in March....:laugh:

ETA:
I said previously that I have a hard time edging on my outside foot, but I said it wrong. I have a hard time edging on my INSIDE foot(on my little toes).

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a quick note to let you know I have not forgotten about this - just been crazy busy - still don't have time to write a full explanation but bear with me, I will get to it!!

frenchgirl said:
Thank you for answering. I do have a few questions:
1. "grip" you mean edge right?
2. "outside ski turns": do you mean to ski just on the outside leg as a drill?

1. yes.
2. I need to explain this further, I'm thinking about getting someone to video me doing some drills to help with this.... watch this space.....

frenchgirl said:
I said previously that I have a hard time edging on my outside foot, but I said it wrong. I have a hard time edging on my INSIDE foot(on my little toes).

Nope, you said it right the first time. Maybe your perception of what you are doing is inaccurate. Watch your video again. See how you are losing altitude by sliding sideways down the hill between turns? You are getting the edge you are getting through banking (whole body leaning in to the hill -> imbalance in the lateral plane) resulting in your feet sliding out from underneath you. You first need to get edge grip on your outside foot.... and to do this you need to be balanced over it early in the turn..... the inside foot can wait, it's not the issue at this stage....

Description of outside ski turns and how and why they work for this forthcoming.....

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a quick note to let you know I have not forgotten about this - just been crazy busy - still don't have time to write a full explanation but bear with me, I will get to it!!

1. yes.
2. I need to explain this further, I'm thinking about getting someone to video me doing some drills to help with this.... watch this space.....

Nope, you said it right the first time. Maybe your perception of what you are doing is inaccurate. Watch your video again. See how you are losing altitude by sliding sideways down the hill between turns? You are getting the edge you are getting through banking (whole body leaning in to the hill -> imbalance in the lateral plane) resulting in your feet sliding out from underneath you. You first need to get edge grip on your outside foot.... and to do this you need to be balanced over it early in the turn..... the inside foot can wait, it's not the issue at this stage....

Description of outside ski turns and how and why they work for this forthcoming.....

Thank you for the explaination. I 'll be waiting eagerly for the rest!:thumbsup:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I have read the post referring to Pole dragging. I know I can drag poles when I'm NOT supposed to, but I'm having trouble visualizing this drill so many of you mention.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you drag the poles while holding them in front of you, or do you hold them out in front and lower down held out to the side like outriggers? I'm having trouble visualizing it too.

The only pole-dragging I've been taught was to plant a pole next to the soon-to-be-outside ski and then drag it lightly through the center of the turn to encourage me to actually make the turn. Dragging both poles sounds like it would make me lean too far into the hill, rather than letting my CM center on the downhill ski, which forces me to shorten my uphill leg.

But as a beginner drill it probably has a completely different effect.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:

:yardsale: means your poles and skis are all over the place due a fall. It is not something I care to experience, especially under the lift.:

ROFL! I had a big yard sale a couple of weeks ago, and a little one last Friday. It's when you wipe out on a slide and leave your gear scattered up the hillside where everyone can check it out.

I'm clearly late, but I had meant to come back and tell you two thanks for the "yard sale" clarification. I had no idea! But, now the term makes sense! It doesn't sound fun, either.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm clearly late, but I had meant to come back and tell you two thanks for the "yard sale" clarification. I had no idea! But, now the term makes sense! It doesn't sound fun, either.

It depends on the conditions. Every yard sale I've ever had has involved some degree of going air-borne.

Last week when we had a big powder dump, people were holding yard sales all over the place, but it was all all soft and fluffy, and *slow* snow, and they weren't going too far. Both of the yard sales I've had this season were in that kind of condition, so they were more embarrassing than painful.

Holding a yard sale because you lost it on ice, on the other hand, can be extremely nasty. Usually falling at faster speeds, hurts more to fall on, but the real problem with yard sales on that kind of surface is that you can find yourself waaaaaaaay down-hill from your gear.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga