• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Summer Movies.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone see the new Harry Potter movie? I saw it last night, and aside from the special effects, actuallly thought is was a bit dull. I think they easily could've edited quite a bit out without any effect to the story. Maybe you just need to know more about Harry Potter than I do.....

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree, Skidiva. I didn't think it was anything special, and I'm not sure Order of the Phoenix could actually stand alone. I feel like other series type of movies (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Karate Kid, Rocky, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon -- okay, we're going downhill here...) can stand alone without necessarily having the context of the prequel, but Rowling's characters are so intricate that it would take up half the movie to reintroduce everyone each time, and part of what makes the movies interesting is remember who all the characters were in the first place.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw the HP movie opening night, and really enjoyed it, although I have read the entire series of books and seen each movie. Nothing spectacular though, but still a fun summer movie and worth it for me for the $10.

I just saw the Bourne Ultimatum tonight, and it was decent. It was either that or the Simpsons movie. Lots of action, things getting blown up, etc. Tim thouroughly enjoyed the car chase scene.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, Skidiva. I didn't think it was anything special, and I'm not sure Order of the Phoenix could actually stand alone. I feel like other series type of movies (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Karate Kid, Rocky, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon -- okay, we're going downhill here...) can stand alone without necessarily having the context of the prequel, but Rowling's characters are so intricate that it would take up half the movie to reintroduce everyone each time, and part of what makes the movies interesting is remember who all the characters were in the first place.

You hit the nail on the head, P. I think the other Harry Potter movies can more or less stand on their own. This one required too much prior knowledge of the HP world, either from reading the books or just remembering what you've seen before. I think the franchise is getting like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, where unless you remember who "Leg-o-Lamb" is from the previous installment, you're out of luck. Also, it seemed to me like it was made perhaps to connect the last movie and the one to come, instead of as an independent picture. I got the feeling they were just treading water.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm attending my bi-monthly "HUNKFEST" (aka...movie night) with the girls tonight! We are going to see "Ocean's 13" and "Pirates of the Caribbean"....OMG! Then...we are going to have to go have a drink! :D

Meanwhile....my hunk is attending the Rockies vs. the Yankees Game! I get to go tomorrow!!! I love the summer!:smile:

Better do it again with "300"! Best. Hunkfest. Ever.

Altagirl and I are attending a SLC "300" girls-only screening next Friday - Yay! Gerard Butler shirtless. That is all.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looking back at my original post in this thread...........
I have not seen ONE movie this summer.
I guess I'll wait til the weather is crappy and rent my picks on dvd.
Keep the reviews coming. I may need help when I make my trip to the video store.

I'm interested in seeing Transformers, but can't get anyone to go with me.
I guess I'll wait til its on DVD.

Knocked up is something I'll be able to get some girls to go see with me. Looking forward to that.
I really haven't seen a lot of movies, but see most of the animated ones with my girlfriends kids. I love them!!
My favourite all time Animated was Over the Hedge. Wanda Sykes as the skunk is a classic!!!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This HP was just OK. I tried to explain to hubby why I was so disappointed in it since I've read every book....but he just didn't seem to understand.

However, my Mom gave us the first 4 books on CD. He's currently on book 4 and I'm just starting book 3. We just bought #4 on DVD, and he spent the entire time saying "that's not how it happened in the book.....they're supposed to _____!"). I think he finally understands ;) .

No I haven't started the new book yet, so DON'T tell me!!!! I'm not listening!!!! LaLaLaLaLaLa (hands over ears :D )

REALLY loved Hairspray! It was very close to the Musical on Broadway!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga