• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sugarloaf BIG expansion plans

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Just announced last week! Phase 1 of 3 will be ready by this winter.
CARRABASSETT VALLEY, Maine – A longtime dream for many Sugarloafers became a reality on Tuesday, when officials at Sugarloaf announced a massive terrain expansion onto Burnt Mountain, the resort’s neighboring peak. Sugarloaf also unveiled a comprehensive, ten-year vision for development at the resort, called Sugarloaf 2020.

The terrain expansion to Burnt Mountain was the centerpiece of today’s announcement, and will create up to 270 acres of new terrain for the upcoming season, and 655 new acres when the entire project is complete. This will double Sugarloaf’s current skiable acreage and make it the largest ski area east of the Rocky Mountains.

The new terrain will all be gladed, “sidecountry” terrain, offering skiers and riders a one-of-a-kind backcountry style experience, with the security of patrolled, inbounds terrain. The expansion will be completed in three phases, the first of which will be the 270 acre “Brackett Basin” area, which will begin to open during the upcoming season. The second phase will encompass 135 acres, including the summit of Burnt Mountain, and will open a second above-treeline area to accompany Sugarloaf’s legendary snowfields. The third and final phase will be 250 acres, and will open the north face of Burnt Mountain. When the expansion is complete, skiers will enjoy a vast, 655 acre glade and an experience unlike anything else in the East.

Although the Burnt Mountain expansion was the biggest piece of today’s announcement, officials also unveiled a new, comprehensive ten-year vision for the resort, called Sugarloaf 2020. The vision outlines future plans for capital improvements at the resort, including new chairlifts, huge upgrades to the resort’s snowmaking system, base lodge and facility improvements, as well as plans for summertime offerings including the popular new zip lines, which were installed this summer.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
map:
sugarloafmap-2010-0000a.jpg

GotSnow?

Certified Ski Diva
Awesome! I just checked out the site! I will definately have to make the trip up there this season! Any idea when Phase 1 will open?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Phase 1>this coming season!! :thumbsup: Cutting happening now, will be heading up to check it out soon. All natural snow terrain, so THINK SNOW.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Wooooow, this looks like it's going to be amazing. Trees are pretty much my favorite thing to ski. More motivation to make it up to Sugarloaf for some of Diva Week. :smile:

And if this winter is even half as intense as the summer was, I feel good about the snow. :D

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
More motivation to make it up to Sugarloaf for some of Diva Week. :smile:

And if this winter is even half as intense as the summer was, I feel good about the snow. :D

Sure hope you do! :thumbsup:
Haven't heard any precip predictions, but the predictions are in for a colder winter than last one. (aside: vickie, did you hear that? Consider what that weekend in January was like last year! :brr:)

Heading up there Saturday to have a look-see.

GotSnow?

Certified Ski Diva
Awesome! I went up to Sunday River last season and fell in love with Maine skiiing...Ive always loved Maine! I really hope to make the extra trip up to Sugarloaf!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Okay, I got up there yesterday and really couldn't see much in terms of glading, due to the "hidden" aspects of Brackett Basin as (not) seen from the base. Will say this much, however: a sweeping view of Burnt Mountain (which has been lusted after for expansion by regulars for decades) reveals just how vast it is -- simply cannot imagine that it will all be in-bounds skiing (patrol will have a base there) within a few years.....:drool:

The one thing I did see and MUST DO is: the new zip lines! Calling in today to try to book a session before DS leaves.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga