• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Subaru Lovers, Unite!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is how I used to roll. No a/c and insane levels of play in the steering column, but excellent ground clearance and towing capacity. One time on the highway I had the triangular front windows open because it was August. Suddenly a cicada hit the little window on the passenger side, shot across the front interior, hit the driver's side a-post and exploded. The wind from the triangular window nearest me drove the bug-parts directly into my face. I was in the center lane with a van full of other people's children, so I just focused on safe driving while periodically spitting out cicada parts.

I'd like to see Volvo provide that kind of driving experience!

Screenshot 2018-06-28 20.41.41.png

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nope, nothing like that, but I do have a story about being a passenger in a church van going sideways down I-71 in a snowstorm.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is a Subaru Fan post and I don't mean to rain on your parade.

First, the bar spread on a Subaru is 24". The kayak is 17' long. There's a lot of pressure on the ends of the kayak from the wind. If I can get the rack closer to the bulkheads, it is better for the boat not to flex so much.

Here's the problem with roof racks in general. It's not the roof, it's whatever is the weakest link of the system. Your roof is able to withstand a rollover which is considerably more weight/pressure on the roof than a couple of kayaks. The weakness could be in the rails or the crossbars or the connectors that hold the rack to the roof. I don't know what the weakest part of the Subaru is, but I was told by the salesman that it can only hold around 100 pounds.

As you know, a part of the Outback's roof rail rotates to become the crossbars. Maybe the hinge is the weak point, because all of the weight is carried on the hinge and clip??? I don't know.

At the time I looked at a Subaru i 2013, Thule did not sell a connector that held the Thule crossbars to the Subaru rack. So there was no way to connect the longer Thule crossbars required for the Hullivator to the roof. I don't know if you can see from the photo I posted earlier, but the rails stand away from the car about 8 inches, so that when the kayak comes down, it doesn't hit the mirror or the side of the car.

Gloria, when your friends put so much weight on top of the car, it is a danger to everyone on the road. It's not about if the car can hold the weight. It can.

The problem is basic physics. Velocity. Momentum. Inertia. Newton said, "An object either remains at rest or continues to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a force."

The problem is that in the event of an accident, either with a stationary object or an oncoming car, those boats are moving at the same speed as the car. Then, the car stops and the boats keep moving. Newton's Second Law.

It comes down to, what's the weakest part? The straps? The other boats? The crossbar? The screws that hold the roof rack to the steel bar in the roof? The weakest part is going to fail because it is not designed to hold so much weight IN AN ACCIDENT.

And while I have everyone's attention, if your boats are not tied front and back (as well as on the rack) to your vehicle, your load is "not properly secured" and YOU CAN GET A TICKET.

I witnessed an accident that could have been a relatively minor collision. However, the kayaks were not tied properly and flew forward off the top of a car into oncoming traffic on the highway. No one was killed, but the accident caused by the flying kayaks and serious injuries to innocent people could have been prevented if the ignorant &*%^$& with the boats had tied them down properly. Off my soapbox. Sorry. I get carried away.
I am pretty sure you can get a Thule rail grab for pretty much any car and Subaru now works directly with Thule so it should be even easier. I don’t think many people who haul anything of weight or even significant value actually use the factory installed crossbars on cars I never have. Furthermore a small playboat is an average of 27 pounds - using a rail grab with an aftermarket bar no one is exceeding the weight limits, then you just strap each boat individually run the strap through the grab loops and everything and everyone is safe and sound. I don’t own a Subaru, I have in the past, and I am not personally a huge fan but I do think the rack system works well enough or can be modified easy enough to work for the needs of a lot of people. Volvos are fine cars as well and if you have the need for a hullivator it might well be a better choice.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Remember, I was looking in 2013, early on when Subaru first came out with the movable crossbars. Thule had not yet made a fit kit at that time. You made me wonder about the current Subaru Outback and Thule.

I called Thule. There is a Thule fit kit that does not integrate into the factory crossbars, but attaches directly into the roof, however the spread is still 24 inches. There is a fit kit that will add a longer square bar that will fit the Hullivator. A Hullivator weighs 45 pounds and the Hullaport Pro weighs 13 pounds each set.

The maximum safe load on a Subaru Outback is a combined weight of 130 pounds for all the equipment on the roof, including the Thule rack and all the components.

That's why a Subaru won't work for me at this time.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
[Back to Subaru love] I get up to 44mpg on highways on my Impreza with CVT, which is rated for 35-7 mpg, I think. :heart: 40mpg going to and from any of the ski resorts around here, if the roads are reasonably clear. A full tank of gas gets me to and from Mt. Bachy, 3 hours away, with plenty to spare.

The secret: drive at the speed limit! :rotf:

(Yes, I've lived in Oregon too long!)

Last edited:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
[Back to Subaru love] I get up to 44mpg on highways on my Impreza with CVT, which is rated for 35-7 mpg, I think. :heart: 40mpg going to and from any of the ski resorts around here, if the roads are reasonably clear. A full tank of gas gets me to and from Mt. Bachy, 3 hours away, with plenty to spare.

The secret: drive at the speed limit! :rotf:

(Yes, I've lived in Oregon too long!)

One of many upsides of retirement! Now that I am not flying to be on the first chair on Saturday and Sunday mornings I am driving a more sedate speed when I go back and forth to Vermont . Not that I go back and forth much anymore since I live there in the winter! Those crazy drives up at something exceeding the speed limit were really lousy on gas mileage!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna