• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Subaru Lovers, Unite!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
The Subaru is definitely the quintessential Vermont Car, but I notice there are trends that pop up every now and then!

For a while the Vermont fashionable set drove Priuses until everyone figured out they were terrible in the snow.

Now I’m seeing a *ton* of VW Golf AllTracks, which were introduced by VW in 2017. Super practical station wagon, AWD, good gas mileage and a really nice car for the price. I drive the slightly less popular VW Golf Sportwagen that mostly only comes in FWD. Someone recently told me that the VW dealer in Chittenden County sells the most AllTracks in the country and I totally believe it!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Subaru is definitely the quintessential Vermont Car, but I notice there are trends that pop up every now and then!
Now I’m seeing a *ton* of VW Golf AllTracks, which were introduced by VW in 2017. Super practical station wagon, AWD, good gas mileage and a really nice car for the price. I drive the slightly less popular VW Golf Sportwagen that mostly only comes in FWD. Someone recently told me that the VW dealer in Chittenden County sells the most AllTracks in the country and I totally believe it!

I have a FWD VW Jetta Sportwagen and it's been a good car, but it has horribly low ground clearance, which now that I live in VT is a major issue. (I've already bottomed it out on a paved road). AWD is looking pretty much mandatory in the near future, especially since it looks as though I'll be getting involved in EMS work through our town's fast squad.

I've ruled out the All Track because though it's a bit better than the Sportwagen, Subarus have a full two inches more ground clearance.

Another really popular car up here is the Toyota Rav4. SO I'm deciding between that and a Forester.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I have a FWD VW Jetta Sportwagen and it's been a good car, but it has horribly low ground clearance, which now that I live in VT is a major issue. (I've already bottomed it out on a paved road). AWD is looking pretty much mandatory in the near future, especially since it looks as though I'll be getting involved in EMS work through our town's fast squad.

I've ruled out the All Track because though it's a bit better than the Sportwagen, Subarus have a full two inches more ground clearance.

Another really popular car up here is the Toyota Rav4. SO I'm deciding between that and a Forester.

Subaru AWD eats all other AWDs for breakfast. So there’s that. My immediate household is anti-Subaru because of past experiences, but, like, everyone else and their mom owns one here in Vermont for a reason.

Tvan

Angel Diva
We don’t live in a ski town *yet*, but there are plans afoot to change that. Regarding ski town transport - I drove a Toyota Highlander. After the second time I slide sideways down the driveway, I switched to a Subaru. We are currently driving Subaru #3 and #4 for our family. #1 saved DH’s life in a head-on collision. #2 saved both of our lives on the mountain road on our way ro Stratton. Your mileage may vary, but we’re likely to remain a Subaru family.

Last edited:

mustski

Angel Diva
The only thing to consider when looking at the Suburus is they can't carry the same load as a good SUV. I bring this up because you camp and mountain bike and tend to carry toys with you. As long it's just and your gear, you won't have a problem. I do know someone who wore out their Forester too quickly because they carried too heavy a load.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love my Subaru's on my 14th! I learned to stick shift on one when they first came to US. They get great mileage! My 2016 Outback I get 30+ on the highway and 28+mpg around town. All but one in 14 cars have been great mechanically with nothing but change the oil, brakes, general maintenance never any 'go to the shop for fixing like some cars. They are also one of the safest vehicles made.

Add me to the Yes I'm going to get studded tires my snow tires are good but studs will be better.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
A fun Vermonter/Subaru story. My friend’s son recently turned 3 and requested an image of a Subaru Crosstrek on his cake. The local grocery store is careful to respect copyright laws, so my friend tweeted Subaru corporate to ask for permission. Not only did they give permission, they totally set up my friend with Subaru balloons, Subaru party favors and Subaru dog toy for an entire Subaru-themed birthday party. It was honestly a brilliant marketing move to all of the Vermonter parents — the other adults at the party were so impressed by the outreach that they all said that their next car would have to be a Subaru.

Of course 3 days before the party, the kid decided he wanted a Ferrari on the cake instead. My friend stuck with Subaru.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a 1998 Subaru Forester with 275K miles. I bought it new. It was the first year of the Forester. I joke that it has seen me through multiple houses, move to Colorado and outlasted several jobs and boyfriends. Overall, it has been a relatively inexpensive car to maintain.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a Volvo fan. My 10 year old XC90 is going strong with 130,000 miles on it. I have changed the oil, 3 sets of brakes, 2 sets of tires, replaced an occasional light bulb, a set of tailgate struts, and a window motor was replaced under warranty during the first year. A cylinder misfire was repaired for about $350 last year. About a month ago, I discovered that the AM radio has failed, but I don't need it, the FM and Sirius work fine and I won't repair it. (relatively common problem with that vintage Volvo) In 10 years, I think that's an amazing repair record.

I love the way it handles on country roads and highways alike. I like how 'tight' it feels with no rattles or squeaks. I also really love how it handles in snow. It is really comfortable on long trips. Surprisingly, the 3rd row seats are even comfortable for me.

A Subaru Outback cannot handle my kayak set up (twin Thule Hullivators), as it is not designed to handle the weight (>120#) nor the required load bars. My Hovawart can stand in the far back of my Volvo, can't stand up in the Subaru. I can pack up a whole campsite in the back and still have room for my dog. I also tow a 3500# trailer from time to time, and there is no sway or hesitation.

I get it. Not everyone needs the space or towing capacity of a large vehicle. Some people are more concerned with the gas mileage of their cars, but the difference of about $200 per year in fuel costs between a Subaru and the Volvo isn't enough to concern me. Just my $.02.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't tow anything but the 2018 Subaru Stats say Towing Capacity: If you have heavy things you tow around, opt for the Outback. The 2.5i Outback has a maximum towing capacity of 2,700 lbs, while the 3.6R Outback can haul 3,000 lbs. The 2015 Forester has a maximum towing capacity of 1,500 lbs.

The roof rack some are 110#'s and one report said 176#

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I shopped for a Subaru Outback in 2013, but I decided to buy out the lease on my Volvo. At the time, the salesman called Subaru to ask specifically about the roof rack. He said that the roof rack that moves across the car would not support the weight and the movable arms were not designed to hold a Thule Crossbar. The Hullivator requires the bars overhang the side of the car. Each Hullivator set weighs ~40#, DH's kayak is 52#, my Kevlar kayak is 32#, but the tandem is 75#. We only carry 2 kayaks at a time on top, but you can see the problem. With a max spread of the crossbars at 24", it doesn't work for my applications.

BTW, the Thule Hullivator is the absolute best kayak rack ever. It allows anyone to load kayaks on top of a car. I couldn't load the boats without it.Hullivators and trailer .JPG

Last edited:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@2ski2moro I'm glad you mentioned that. Subarus have been controversial in the whitewater paddling world because of exactly the rack issue you describe. I haven't been savvy about it since I sold my canoe to buy skis (no regrets) but I guess I naively assumed that Subaru would have addressed that problem by now. That would be a deal-breaker for me in that I carry my bikes on Thule crossbars with Kuat racks and often put a cargo bag between them. For what I'd be paying for an outdoor-oriented vehicle, I do not expect to have to worry about roof carrying weight for basic, common, outdoor recreation items.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I shopped for a Subaru Outback in 2013, but I decided to buy out the lease on my Volvo. At the time, the salesman called Subaru to ask specifically about the roof rack. He said that the roof rack that moves across the car would not support the weight and the movable arms were not designed to hold a Thule Crossbar. The Hullivator requires the bars overhang the side of the car. Each Hullivator set weighs ~40#, DH's kayak is 52#, my Kevlar kayak is 32#, but the tandem is 75#. We only carry 2 kayaks at a time on top, but you can see the problem. With a max spread of the crossbars at 24", it doesn't work for my applications.

BTW, the Thule Hullivator is the absolute best kayak rack ever. It allows anyone to load kayaks on top of a car. I couldn't load the boats without it.View attachment 9130

Where's the WOW button. Does Volvo still sell this vehicle? Nice set up!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@2ski2moro I'm glad you mentioned that. Subarus have been controversial in the whitewater paddling world because of exactly the rack issue you describe. I haven't been savvy about it since I sold my canoe to buy skis (no regrets) but I guess I naively assumed that Subaru would have addressed that problem by now. That would be a deal-breaker for me in that I carry my bikes on Thule crossbars with Kuat racks and often put a cargo bag between them. For what I'd be paying for an outdoor-oriented vehicle, I do not expect to have to worry about roof carrying weight for basic, common, outdoor recreation items.
I think she is referring to the crossbars not the roof rails. You have two options you can get a Thule tower that attaches to the factory rails and in most cases I think you can still get towers that attach directly to the roof. I think the guy was talking about the actual attachment of her kayak rack with Thule mounts not fitting on the factory cross rails not that you can’t put Thule crossbars on the car. I don’t think you would have a weight issue either, I know people with Thule racks on the factory rails who can put 4 kayaks across on their sides and then two more on their bottoms on top of these and have had no issues.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Soon our Green Mountain Cabal Chapter will have enough members to roam the countryside in our mid-size SUVs; a gang of Divas smiling at the patriarchy, spreading a love of skiing, and promoting women in snowsports wherever we go. :jumphappy:

That’s a plan!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think she is referring to the crossbars not the roof rails. You have two options you can get a Thule tower that attaches to the factory rails and in most cases I think you can still get towers that attach directly to the roof. I think the guy was talking about the actual attachment of her kayak rack with Thule mounts not fitting on the factory cross rails not that you can’t put Thule crossbars on the car. I don’t think you would have a weight issue either, I know people with Thule racks on the factory rails who can put 4 kayaks across on their sides and then two more on their bottoms on top of these and have had no issues.

This is a Subaru Fan post and I don't mean to rain on your parade.

First, the bar spread on a Subaru is 24". The kayak is 17' long. There's a lot of pressure on the ends of the kayak from the wind. If I can get the rack closer to the bulkheads, it is better for the boat not to flex so much.

Here's the problem with roof racks in general. It's not the roof, it's whatever is the weakest link of the system. Your roof is able to withstand a rollover which is considerably more weight/pressure on the roof than a couple of kayaks. The weakness could be in the rails or the crossbars or the connectors that hold the rack to the roof. I don't know what the weakest part of the Subaru is, but I was told by the salesman that it can only hold around 100 pounds.

As you know, a part of the Outback's roof rail rotates to become the crossbars. Maybe the hinge is the weak point, because all of the weight is carried on the hinge and clip??? I don't know.

At the time I looked at a Subaru i 2013, Thule did not sell a connector that held the Thule crossbars to the Subaru rack. So there was no way to connect the longer Thule crossbars required for the Hullivator to the roof. I don't know if you can see from the photo I posted earlier, but the rails stand away from the car about 8 inches, so that when the kayak comes down, it doesn't hit the mirror or the side of the car.

Gloria, when your friends put so much weight on top of the car, it is a danger to everyone on the road. It's not about if the car can hold the weight. It can.

The problem is basic physics. Velocity. Momentum. Inertia. Newton said, "An object either remains at rest or continues to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a force."

The problem is that in the event of an accident, either with a stationary object or an oncoming car, those boats are moving at the same speed as the car. Then, the car stops and the boats keep moving. Newton's Second Law.

It comes down to, what's the weakest part? The straps? The other boats? The crossbar? The screws that hold the roof rack to the steel bar in the roof? The weakest part is going to fail because it is not designed to hold so much weight IN AN ACCIDENT.

And while I have everyone's attention, if your boats are not tied front and back (as well as on the rack) to your vehicle, your load is "not properly secured" and YOU CAN GET A TICKET.

I witnessed an accident that could have been a relatively minor collision. However, the kayaks were not tied properly and flew forward off the top of a car into oncoming traffic on the highway. No one was killed, but the accident caused by the flying kayaks and serious injuries to innocent people could have been prevented if the ignorant &*%^$& with the boats had tied them down properly. Off my soapbox. Sorry. I get carried away.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where's the WOW button. Does Volvo still sell this vehicle? Nice set up!

Remember my Volvo is 10 years old. The new models are even more amazing.

My friends and I converted a utility trailer into this kayak trailer with a pair of fixtures that we welded together. Well, he welded what I designed, but I also learned how to weld that day. We have had many outstanding parties on Adirondack Lakes with these boats. Good times and great friends.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna