• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Steamboat next week...

chitownski

Certified Ski Diva
I'm leaving for Steamboat a week from tomorrow (!!) for 5 days - we're staying at Storm Meadows at Christie Base, which I understand is at least ski-in (and if you get the right building, ski-out).

Any recommendations for parts of the mountain not to miss? And any ideas for fun restaurants/bars in the Square/Gondola base (we're flying direct to Steamboat, so we're not renting a car - I know there's a shuttle to downtown, but I'm don't want to be shuttling there unless it's a must-do opportunity)? The key for many of us will be food/drinks that are good and on the affordable side!

Thanks!

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I LOVE Steamboat!

For skiing: Must do Shadows?The Closets for trees, Morningside Park for kinda an off piste experience. The runs off of Pony Express are also "natural terrain". And with all the snow they've been having, you HAVE to do Christmas Tree bowl! But, that's the type of skiing I like..there is also big cruisers that are fun!:ski2:

Steamboat usually has free live music @ the base of the Gondola (most days). There is also a "ski up" bar/grill that is on your way to the base from the skiers right side of the mountain (sorry can't remember the name) They build a bar out of snow/ice. Have chairs out and a lot of times, live music also! The Tug is a bar/grill across the street from the main parking garge area. You can take a shuttle to the Strawberry Park Hot Springs (careful, clothes optional after dark!). My favorite place for breakfast is in town: Wynonas.

Have a great time! It is one of my favorite towns!:snow:

chitownski

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks! Trees and pow are definitely what I like skiing, so I'm definitely going to check out the recommendations.

Another quick question for anyone that's flown directly into (and out of) Steamboat - how much time do I need to leave to check in/get through security. My flight Sunday leaves at 3:30, so I want to know how long I can ski that day before heading to the airport.

My guess is it's like Jackson, so I don't need to arrive more than an hour-ish before the flight, but if I'm wrong, I should probably know...

Marigee

Angel Diva
If you are using a shuttle service they will tell you when they will come and get you. A couple of weeks ago I was on the American 3:30 flight to Chicago and they picked me up at 1:00. It takes about 40 -45 minutes to get to the airport, but they usually have several other stops before/after yours. The airport only has 6 gates I think, so you don't really have long security lines.

If you have rented a car I would leave around 1:30 - no later.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, if you use a shuttle service they will tell you what time they will pick you up according to your flight. However, if you are getting to the airport on your own, I suggest getting there a bit before the normal 1 hour check in time ( I think that airport actually tells you to be there 2 hrs prior, but have not heard of anyone doing that). It may depend on what time of day etc on how busy it is, but last year my flight left at 8:15am and I think I got there around 7:10--I spent about 35-40 min in line waiting to check luggage at United. It is a small airport and they only have about 1-2 check in agents for each airline-- then the same check-in agent goes to assist in helping to send the plane off.
Once I got through the check in line, there was no line for security though, so that was good.

SnowDancer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lots of good advice above - but don't blow off going to town too quickly. Take the Red or Blue Line shuttle downtown (they run about every 20 minutes), get off @ 7th Street and start walking. The heart of town runs from 3rd Street to 11th-12th Street, so you can cover it all pretty easily. Lots of dining options, too. We also like Winona's (or The Shack) for breakfast/lunch, Steamboat Smokehouse for BBQ, Cantina for Mexican - and Johnny B Goode's diner has great milkshakes. For Chinese, try Panda (in the Wal-Mart shopping center) or Canton (downtown)

As a matter of fact, we're leaving for Steamboat this Saturday and will be there through the 12th - can't wait!!!

BTW, the 8th & 9th is the 95th Annual Winter Carnival; if you get a chance, head downtown and check out the street events Saturday & Sunday mornings.

Whatever you do - ENJOY!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga