• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stand Up Paddle Board

MissySki

Angel Diva
In summer regular fedex delivers to the door. Fedex ground to an unsecured drop box by the hwy 2 miles from the house or we have to meet them on the hwy! Not practical with a job during the day, ha! UPS we have to pick up at the office between 2 and 5 pm in winter as they refuse to deliver to the 100 plus homes up a snowy well plowed and sanded public road. So aggravating. USPS sends packages back that are addressed to our homes as there is no USPS home delivery only PO boxes. Rural resort living is interesting when tracking down missing or undelivered packages.
Wow, that’s really interesting! I can see how that would be quite a pita.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, that’s really interesting! I can see how that would be quite a pita.
Pita? Like the imagery, ha. It is a true mess for the entire county.

Tvan

Angel Diva
It has to be the policy of fed ex. Where I'm at I see amazon and ups delivering on winding mountain roads with out a problem.
<tangent> We have more issues with FedEx delivery than with any other service. UPS, Amazon, USPS - no problem. FedEx must use a different GPS system because our packages are routinely delivered to every other house in our neighborhood, but not to us. DHL is also pretty unreliable, but not as bad as FedEx. </end tangent>

@snoWYmonkey - your photos are beautiful and that is a gorgeous place to SUP. Living in CT, I have to confess that having a deer that close to my tent would make me super-paranoid about ticks. Do you have to worry about Lyme in WY?

MissySki

Angel Diva
All of my accessories are now here as of yesterday. Decided to do a test inflate even though I couldn’t get out on the water as I’d hoped this weekend. Mother nature had other ideas with lots of rain and high temperatures under 60 degrees..

The inflate process was easier than I expected. The board comes with a 2 chamber 3 stage pump and it works great. It probably took me about 10 minutes to inflate. It definitely wasn’t overly difficult, but I did still work up a sweat lol. I will probably still get an electric pump for when I don’t feel like pumping. Deflating was super quick and easy, though I do need to work on my rolling. I didn’t want to roll it super tight for storage, but I need to roll it a little more snug if I want to fit anything else in its bag. The backpack is HUGE, larger than my golf club bag, so a little funny to see on my back! It’s super comfy with very padded straps though at least and also rolls which I imagine I’ll use more than putting it on but we’ll see. The accessories are cool: kayak seat, extra blade to convert paddle for kayaking, cup holder, cooler that straps right onto the board, fishing rod holder (though I don’t plan to fish and that was a free piece included), board carry strap, and an anchor. Fins snap/out in and secure super easily with the flip if a plastic switch, no tools required. There are 2 side fins of course and then 3 options for center fins from 9 inches down to 3 inches for shallow water.

I was amazed at how firm the board was when inflated. Felt like a rigid board to me. Of course this was on my kitchen floor, looking forward to getting it on the water to see how that feels. You can see the carbon rails on the sides in a few spots where there are cutouts on the board, still amazes me they are there and can be all folded up.

573AEE72-AC3D-465B-8E62-DFBEFC7474B9.jpeg2A105F65-BA65-44F4-9DB6-D7614B3D91FB.jpeg273DF265-FB6E-4C25-8CD7-18B8C441A8B4.jpeg07697AF0-D316-4248-9F8F-FABC73777F93.jpeg

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
I understand that the electric pumps, that run off the car battery are getting hard to find. So grab one sooner than later.

Jilly

Staff member
Was out on mine today. I haven't used it since I got the OC-1. My legs are shot!!. We have a quiet lake, but some jacka$$ with a wakeboard boat and his buddy with the sea-doo were creating all kinds of waves. If they keep this up, I'll be ready for moguls, once the legs get stronger....

MissySki

Angel Diva
Was out on mine today. I haven't used it since I got the OC-1. My legs are shot!!. We have a quiet lake, but some jacka$$ with a wakeboard boat and his buddy with the sea-doo were creating all kinds of waves. If they keep this up, I'll be ready for moguls, once the legs get stronger....

That sounds like some fun cross training!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have an inflator that hooks up to a car battery. We finish with the hand pump.

I also use an electric pump that hooks up to the car battery. So fast and convenient!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Which pump do you have, and do you need to finish off with the hand pump still?
I don't finish off with the hand pump. I just do the max the electric pump can do. I'll send you a photo of it.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you finish with the hand pump due to a fear of the electric one not stopping at an appropriate psi setting?
We do the same thing. Even with the hand pump we have to go from high low low pressure and switch eventually to the low flow high pressure to really get it firm. Granted we load a lot of gear on ours.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
We have this one that we use for both inflatable kayaks and SUPs. We don't use a hand pump at all, just this.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have this one that we use for both inflatable kayaks and SUPs. We don't use a hand pump at all, just this.

This is the same brand we have.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally jumped on the SUP bandwagon!

A friend recommended https://www.islesurfandsup.com/ , and I went with the Pioneer - the inflatable model they recommend for beginners. Then I went on the hunt for a PFD. To my amazement, this was the hard part - the local stores had been totally picked through. No dice unless you happened to be a women's XS or a men's XXL. I finally ordered a PFD through REI, and it actually fit! I also got a season pass to the local reservoir; that also means going through the "fast lane" on busy days.

I originally bought the board without an electric pump. After pumping it up manually, and then trying every possible way to get a more generic type of electric pump to inflate the dang thing (including a fancy DeWalt pump that uses the same rechargeable batteries as our power tools), I gave up and bought the pump from Isle as well. There's a discount if you buy it all at the same time ... or, apparently, if you contact customer service right after you get the board and tell them you want that discount ;-)

You guys. It was amazing. I went with a fellow newbie after our last meetings on Friday. This board is so stable and wide. I felt at home right away. Armed with one lesson several years ago and a couple of youtube tutorials I watched that morning, it was easy to stand up. I even felt comfortable sitting on it sideways, with my feet dangling in the water. (It's too wide for me to comfortably straddle it, though.) It was hot, so I had been kind of hoping I'd just fall in, but that never happened. A no-wake reservoir is certainly easy mode, but I was surprised at how comfortable I was moving around on the board.

Some people in this thread have talked about inflatables being piggish, slow, all that stuff. That may be true, but ... I don't actually want to go anywhere with my board. I want my own private floating dock out on the water where I can splash about, test my balance, and occasionally chat with my friend when we're in range. This board was perfect for that.

No pictures, because I'm not *that* confident on the SUP yet.

Question: For those of you with inflatables, have you ever traveled on a plane with them as checked baggage? My parents live on the outer banks, and arranging a rental seemed a bit tricky and time-consuming for a family visit, especially when I was the only one interested. If I find that I do this a lot, I may just buy a used solid board the next time I go - I could launch right from their back yard into brackish water.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I haven't done it, but I have friends who are avid SUPers that take them everywhere.

That being said, we have "touring" boards that are 28" and 30" wide, about 12' long that are anything but sluggish. My understanding is that the shorter/wider the more stable/sluggish/less responsive a board is, but better for dogs, coolers and general recreation. We were sold touring boards not really knowing anything. They require more balance, but are also faster on the lakes. We can see the difference when out with friends on their Costco boards.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I finally jumped on the SUP bandwagon!

A friend recommended https://www.islesurfandsup.com/ , and I went with the Pioneer - the inflatable model they recommend for beginners. Then I went on the hunt for a PFD. To my amazement, this was the hard part - the local stores had been totally picked through. No dice unless you happened to be a women's XS or a men's XXL. I finally ordered a PFD through REI, and it actually fit! I also got a season pass to the local reservoir; that also means going through the "fast lane" on busy days.

I originally bought the board without an electric pump. After pumping it up manually, and then trying every possible way to get a more generic type of electric pump to inflate the dang thing (including a fancy DeWalt pump that uses the same rechargeable batteries as our power tools), I gave up and bought the pump from Isle as well. There's a discount if you buy it all at the same time ... or, apparently, if you contact customer service right after you get the board and tell them you want that discount ;-)

You guys. It was amazing. I went with a fellow newbie after our last meetings on Friday. This board is so stable and wide. I felt at home right away. Armed with one lesson several years ago and a couple of youtube tutorials I watched that morning, it was easy to stand up. I even felt comfortable sitting on it sideways, with my feet dangling in the water. (It's too wide for me to comfortably straddle it, though.) It was hot, so I had been kind of hoping I'd just fall in, but that never happened. A no-wake reservoir is certainly easy mode, but I was surprised at how comfortable I was moving around on the board.

Some people in this thread have talked about inflatables being piggish, slow, all that stuff. That may be true, but ... I don't actually want to go anywhere with my board. I want my own private floating dock out on the water where I can splash about, test my balance, and occasionally chat with my friend when we're in range. This board was perfect for that.

No pictures, because I'm not *that* confident on the SUP yet.

Question: For those of you with inflatables, have you ever traveled on a plane with them as checked baggage? My parents live on the outer banks, and arranging a rental seemed a bit tricky and time-consuming for a family visit, especially when I was the only one interested. If I find that I do this a lot, I may just buy a used solid board the next time I go - I could launch right from their back yard into brackish water.
Sounds great ! Wow you've been gone a long time from the site ! Good to see your post again !

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna