• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stand Up Paddle Board

Jilly

Staff member
I have the inflatable belt type for my dragon boat racing. I've only ever been over once in a dragon boat. But I use the full vest for my SUP and OC-1. Those are a lot easier to get off/out of. And if as you fall you hit your head, chances are that you vest will get you upright. With the inflatables you have the where with all to pull the cord. If you're out for a few seconds, that might not happen. Now there are inflatable vests that will inflate when they get wet. I always thought the CCG had decreed we needed that type of pfd for the SUP, but could not find the regulation.

And if your water is a little cool, the vest will keep you warmer.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Thank you for this fantastic summary! I look forward to hearing how you like the XS later on if it arrives today as expected. I'll definitely be coming back to this list when I decide a new PFD is needed. I haven't worn mine in quite awhile so I need to get it out of the gear closet and try it on in some water to make sure it's still comfortable and functional. I imagine it should be fine as I took good care of it, but since it's quite old now I have started wondering what the life expectancy of the materials are.
So the XS arrived today (though too late for tonight’s paddle). I think it’s just a bit too small, so I’ll be sending it back and keeping the S/M. Overall the bigger one felt more comfortable, even though the straps are tightened as far as they’ll go.

altagirl

Staff member
So the XS arrived today (though too late for tonight’s paddle). I think it’s just a bit too small, so I’ll be sending it back and keeping the S/M. Overall the bigger one felt more comfortable, even though the straps are tightened as far as they’ll go.
Shows how you definitely should try these things on. I'm definitely a Large in most things but my life vest is a S/M. The large restricts my arm movement and generally feels uncomfortable. And I always wear it, overkill or not. If I'm hot I can get wet. I always wear long sleeve too for sun protection so when it's warm I get wet right away and am then pretty comfortable.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Shows how you definitely should try these things on. I'm definitely a Large in most things but my life vest is a S/M.
Agreed! And they all fit different.

For me it definitely comes down to the difference in my waist vs chest size. This is the same problem I have with sport bras…the strap at the waist is always too big if I get the correct chest size. I’m generally a S/M in everything, but it still felt a bit big…just took trying on a smaller one to really be sure.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I recall, the NRS Ninja is a very low-profile vest with lots of cut-out in the arm/shoulder area, but it will sit quite high. I used a Kokotat Ronin rescue vest and it was comfortable and very floaty, but I was paddling a whitewater kayak at the time and needed some specific features and a particular sort of fit.

Whitewater-specific vests like the Astrals mentioned above are usually designed with kayakers in mind, so they tend to sit a little high and have the floatation concentrated in front of the chest. If you're sitting with your legs slightly bent in front of you against a backband and with a spray-skirt on, you need it to not be bulky under your arms and not restrict your head extension, (especially if you're upside-down). So, much like buying ski boots, fitting a whitewater kayaking vests can be a finicky and subjective process.

If you're looking for a SUP vest, it may be advantageous to check out the basic vests for general use, like the ones at LL Bean or a general sporting goods store. PFDs are all rated by the Coast Guard, so you may find that a lower-end vest fits more comfortably for stand-up paddling, but you'll still be getting adequate flotation.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Whitewater-specific vests like the Astrals mentioned above are usually designed with kayakers in mind, so they tend to sit a little high and have the floatation concentrated in front of the chest. If you're sitting with your legs slightly bent in front of you against a backband and with a spray-skirt on, you need it to not be bulky under your arms and not restrict your head extension, (especially if you're upside-down).
I could be wrong, I’ve only been on a SUP once, but I would think kayaking and SUP share so many movements that vests that are great for kayaking would also be great for SUP-ing and vise versa. The largest thing being the necessary mobility around the arms. Pretty much all of the Astral ones I mentioned above have many many reviews for both kayaking and SUP-ing.

Jilly

Staff member
I could not use a standard life jacket. It would chafe the armpit etc. A paddling vest is best or if you're comfortable the inflatable either a belt type or vest type.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was doing a little research .... does your state allow a leg leash (what a surfer would have for a surfboard) to be considered equivalent to being "tethered" to the board (which in essence becomes your preserver)? Similar to being tethered to a sailboat instead of having to wear a life jacket.

Honestly, a fanny pack life preserver is the only thing I would want to wear for SUP if I had to wear one.
If I didn't have to be "wearing" the pfd I would have something that was able to toss to some one else in distress. I would "hope" that everyone who is kayaking, SUPing, canoeing etc would have basic swim skills, and not be relying on the pfd for basic flotation.

I understand once SUPs were ruled to be "vessels" they fall under many of the state and federal laws regarding safety equipment. But doesn't it seem odd that I can be in the ocean cruising the surf line with out a PFD but in the calm harbor I have to have one?

Jilly

Staff member
In Canada the tether is optional. I have one as that board can go a long ways if I fall off. Our OC coach is suggesting one for the OC too.

I have a neighbour that goes out without a pfd and any of the safety equipment required. One of these days...

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry for the change of SUP topic, but this is my new favorite summer activity when heat and crowds take over our valley. My first trip with family in over 2 years this week! 2 nights SUP paddle camping on a small island on Jackson Lake in Grand Teton National Park. The best escape. No one around and thousands at the trailheads. I use a kayaking PFD with a water hydration pouch on the back, though I confess to being the standing adult with it strapped to the board as I was about to go for a cooling swim. IMG_20210625_170615_258.jpgreceived_847867319468685~2.jpeg

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Sorry for the change of SUP topic, but this is my new favorite summer activity when heat and crowds take over our valley. My first trip with family in over 2 years this week! 2 nights SUP paddle camping on a small island on Jackson Lake in Grand Teton National Park. The best escape. No one around and thousands at the trailheads. I use a kayaking PFD with a water hydration pouch on the back, though I confess to being the standing adult with it strapped to the board as I was about to go for a cooling swim. View attachment 16126View attachment 16127
Beautiful!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
My paddle board is on the FedEx truck for delivery today, yay!! Though there is another shipment for additional accessories I ordered that doesn't appear to show where the heck it is at all by tracking, so we'll see if that arrives as well or if I need to investigate it further.

Here's hoping it actually gets dropped at my house, for some reason if I'm going to have an issue with a shipment it's always FedEx so I'm not fond of them at all. They have delivered my stuff to other houses on my road numerous times, even after I call and give them an ear full about it. Not a big deal when it's a small object that can be grabbed easily or stuck in my mailbox by a neighbor, but this is a 50lb box so it would be much more annoying.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Update: The board was just delivered! My second box of additional accessories is still MIA though so I have a call into Gili to figure out where that is.

I watched from my window as FedEx literally took the box off of their van in the middle of the driveway, plop it barely a foot from the vehicle and then get back in and leave. :doh: At least they made it into the right driveway I guess. I'm just used to UPS and Amazon that bring deliveries to my front door or at least get it near the garage. This was just left in the center of the driveway which is a new one but o'well. I went and dragged it in anyway lol.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad you got the board ! So interesting about FED EX - they do the same thing at my moms.... rural, long drive way, they refuse to deliver to the door. They recently dumped her portable air-conditioner in the ditch next to the mailbox. Neighbor kindly called her to let her know the box was sitting there ......

It has to be the policy of fed ex. Where I'm at I see amazon and ups delivering on winding mountain roads with out a problem.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Glad you got the board ! So interesting about FED EX - they do the same thing at my moms.... rural, long drive way, they refuse to deliver to the door. They recently dumped her portable air-conditioner in the ditch next to the mailbox. Neighbor kindly called her to let her know the box was sitting there ......

It has to be the policy of fed ex. Where I'm at I see amazon and ups delivering on winding mountain roads with out a problem.

That's horrible, portable air conditioners are heavy!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In summer regular fedex delivers to the door. Fedex ground to an unsecured drop box by the hwy 2 miles from the house or we have to meet them on the hwy! Not practical with a job during the day, ha! UPS we have to pick up at the office between 2 and 5 pm in winter as they refuse to deliver to the 100 plus homes up a snowy well plowed and sanded public road. So aggravating. USPS sends packages back that are addressed to our homes as there is no USPS home delivery only PO boxes. Rural resort living is interesting when tracking down missing or undelivered packages.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna