• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Staffing at Ski Resorts: '21/'22

MissySki

Angel Diva
Can you imagine how hard it is to own and maintain a car, pay rent, and eat on that kind of money? Health care? Child care?

On top of all that, it’s seasonal.

Nope, and that's probably why a lot of those jobs are usually younger people who want benefits at a resort like free passes I'd think? Not that that is everyone, but there are a lot of seasonal type workers. We just aren't getting the benefit of the J1 Visas to fill these roles still, right? I haven't really kept up on that situation.

I've known people who do say landscaping in the summer and then snow plowing or some other type of seasonal job in the winter. It's certainly not for everyone, but also does work for some situations.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was at a jewelry store in the Warwick mall last weekend as well, and have been dealing with the same woman for quite awhile now since she was at a different store previously. She told me that they can't hire anyone. They get a ton of applications, but then can't get anyone to actually even interview when they call back. She believes people are applying just to say they did on unemployment documents, with no intention of actually following through to get a job when they call. So she basically works ALL the time.
So interestingly, my cousin's son who is 19 and a hard worker has been applying all over the place and not getting called. He's in the Seattle area. What gives? I'm not sure what kinds of jobs he's been applying for, so the question that comes to my mind is the way applications are filtered out by AI anymore--how many truly qualified applicants are being left out because they don't pass some AI metric?

My thought is that people, especially in front-facing public jobs, are sick of the low pay but especially the way people behave these days in regards to masks, etc. You might have mostly positive interactions with customers all day, but all it takes is one or two total asshats per day to make your life miserable. Throw in being threatened with harm and I'd be looking into a different job option behind a quiet desk myself. Restaurant jobs have got to be extra challenging these days--they are short staffed so service goes downhill. I try to be extra patient with servers these days because I know they are overwhelmed.

There is so much anger out in the world right now. I've made it my personal creed to be as kind as possible, all the time. Even while out biking where I sometimes encounter grumpy people who are hiking or biking, I'm extra polite and friendly. Weird and unsettling times we are living through. I keep reminding myself that we had similar unrest after the civil war and again during the civil rights movement. The word "civil" is an oxymoron during times like these, it seems. So, sit tight, stay positive, and hold on because eventually things will settle down.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So interestingly, my cousin's son who is 19 and a hard worker has been applying all over the place and not getting called. He's in the Seattle area. What gives? I'm not sure what kinds of jobs he's been applying for, so the question that comes to my mind is the way applications are filtered out by AI anymore--how many truly qualified applicants are being left out because they don't pass some AI metric?

My thought is that people, especially in front-facing public jobs, are sick of the low pay but especially the way people behave these days in regards to masks, etc. You might have mostly positive interactions with customers all day, but all it takes is one or two total asshats per day to make your life miserable. Throw in being threatened with harm and I'd be looking into a different job option behind a quiet desk myself. Restaurant jobs have got to be extra challenging these days--they are short staffed so service goes downhill. I try to be extra patient with servers these days because I know they are overwhelmed.

There is so much anger out in the world right now. I've made it my personal creed to be as kind as possible, all the time. Even while out biking where I sometimes encounter grumpy people who are hiking or biking, I'm extra polite and friendly. Weird and unsettling times we are living through. I keep reminding myself that we had similar unrest after the civil war and again during the civil rights movement. The word "civil" is an oxymoron during times like these, it seems. So, sit tight, stay positive, and hold on because eventually things will settle down.

That IS really interesting. I’m not sure how people are applying and how they are being filtered, but that’s a great point. That stinks that he’s having trouble at this time, is there not as big of a need for employees in that area right now?? I thought it was everywhere, how crazy that someone who is trying hard is having issues at this time specifically.

And yeah, good point. Like the hostess in NY who was assaulted, while others videotaped, after saying that unvaccinated folks weren’t allowed in a restaurant. It was all women too! Scary out there for sure..

Christy

Angel Diva
Point being, places like Killington need to put up or shut up.
Totally agree. I just can't get over the feeling that it's not THAT hard to build or provide housing. Some resorts have done it. Workers pay rent, so it's not like the resort is investing money with no return. Sure there are places where geography or USFS leases make it harder, and maybe that's where a commuting subsidy comes in, but IMO this is not an insurmountable task.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That IS really interesting. I’m not sure how people are applying and how they are being filtered, but that’s a great point. That stinks that he’s having trouble at this time, is there not as big of a need for employees in that area right now?? I thought it was everywhere, how crazy that someone who is trying hard is having issues at this time specifically.

And yeah, good point. Like the hostess in NY who was assaulted, while others videotaped, after saying that unvaccinated folks weren’t allowed in a restaurant. It was all women too! Scary out there for sure..
I think the job market there is as competitive as anywhere right now. My sister was recruited back to a restaurant management job in Seattle from a job in central Washington. They made her an offer she couldn’t turn down.

Christy

Angel Diva
I think the job market there is as competitive as anywhere right now. My sister was recruited back to a restaurant management job in Seattle from a job in central Washington. They made her an offer she couldn’t turn down.

I think the job market for desirable jobs and professional jobs is as competitive as ever. It seems to be the jobs with no benefits, irregular hours, etc that are harder to fill. Why wash dishes at a restaurant, even at $20+ an hour, when you can make about that at an Amazon warehouse and also get genuinely good benefits (health care for the whole family/registered partners, parental leave, etc) plus a regular schedule? Or you can make that and be your own boss (albeit without benefits) driving for a delivery or rideshare.

I don't get how anyone is still on unemployment. The extra federal benefits have ended. Did states drop their normal time limits? I know in WA it was 26 weeks and I haven't seen anything to indicate state benefits were extended during Covid.

Jilly

Staff member
Our unemployment in Canada is federal. They just changed everything this week. (After the election...guess why?) Benefits are going to run out. New sick leave benefits will have to have doctor's note. Time paying into the system will change, as will time of benefits. That depends on the employment situation in the region. Fisheries have a seasonal employment, so time needed to get benefits is less than working in Toronto. But all in all, it's time to get back to work.

I know from reading the local Tremblant paper, everyone is looking for staff. Locally I think every plant in the industrial park is looking for employees and the pay is good with benefits.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I was legit like dang maybe I should go get a side hustle a couple of nights per week for extra play money, places are so desperate. If it wasn't going into winter right now, I'd more seriously consider it. If it's still the case next summer, maybe I would haha.
I’ve seriously considered signing up to be an on-call banquet server at Spruce Peak in Stowe for the free and discounted Hyatt lodging. Cheap slope side lodging is way more valuable to me than the $25/hour or whatever!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Totally agree. I just can't get over the feeling that it's not THAT hard to build or provide housing. Some resorts have done it. Workers pay rent, so it's not like the resort is investing money with no return. Sure there are places where geography or USFS leases make it harder, and maybe that's where a commuting subsidy comes in, but IMO this is not an insurmountable task.

Saddleback in ME is literally doing this right now, and they just opened back up last season! They are certainly leading the way in the area for this problem. Rightfully so too because I understand as far out as they are from anywhere housing is limited in general nevermind in the current market.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Won't help for this season but I've seen recent plans for new staff housing to be built at Homestead in VA and Telluride.

Taos bought the Columbine Inn a few years ago to use as staff housing. Alta has always tried to provide some staff housing. Pretty all the independent lodges provide some staff housing. It's tricky in places like Taos and Alta where there is very little land for any sort of new buildings of any kind.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I posted earlier that Vail was raising its minimum wage company-wide to $15/hr. Apparently that is only true at some western resorts. East-coast minimum is $13/hr. Seeing as how many entry level jobs around here are available at $17/hour, often with signing bonuses, that's probably going to leave a mark.

Christy

Angel Diva
I think I posted earlier that Vail was raising its minimum wage company-wide to $15/hr. Apparently that is only true at some western resorts. East-coast minimum is $13/hr. Seeing as how many entry level jobs around here are available at $17/hour, often with signing bonuses, that's probably going to leave a mark.

I just scanned their open jobs at Stevens Pass. Many were tagged as $15/hour, the others had no info. As far as I can tell the only perk is a free (for full timers) or discounted (for part timers) season pass. Given that you can make $20-$25 full time year round in the Puget Sound area with an entry level job, and that Stevens doesn't provide housing, and that you do need a decent car with AWD and good tires for your commute, I think you gotta really want to work on the mountain to go for that.

I also noticed they required an AA degree "or equivalent experience" for even kitchen jobs.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looked at Snowbird's job listing. $15 per hour seems to be the minimum there too. Vaccination will be required for all employees this winter.

Interesting contrast between Snowbird and Alta for the job descriptions.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Resort-wide minimum wage at Sugarbush is $15/hr.

Colorado resorts are legally mandated to post their hiring ranges under the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. I think that’s a good thing for pay transparency but it does make hiring and setting pay scales across multiple markets for similar roles more challenging.

Christy

Angel Diva
"Interesting contrast" is what I thought when I looked at the jobs page for Mt Baker. They offer some housing on mountain and free employee shuttles for people living down the highway. Plus benefits. Plus plus, they sound cool. Plus plus plus, their CEO is a woman, which I didn't realize. I think free breakfast and lunch is a nice incentive.

Here at Baker, we are not controlled by equity firms, off-shore banks or a big conglomerate. In fact, we are one of a handful of independently operated and originally owned ski areas still left in the United States. Many of our core Baker crew working here now have literally built this ski area with our own hands, hearts and ideas. We are proud of our contributions to our local, as well as the ski and snowboard, communities. You will not find corporate advertising, shoe stores or facial salons at Baker because enjoying Nature remains the reason we are here, and skiing and snowboarding is what we do.

That said, working in the mountains is not always easy. But these challenges are also part of the great opportunity to be part of the very special business that is recreation; re-creation. Where our jobs are to help each other and our customers rejuvenate, have fun, enjoy the natural world, spend time with friends and family, shred pow.

We know the job application process can be tedious and dry, but we encourage you to go for it because we look forward to learning more about you and your reasons for wanting to work with us. If you have any questions about the application process, feel free to contact us at our Business Office in Bellingham and we can help you out; [email protected] or 360-734-6771.

We wish you well in the hiring process and we hope to see you on the mountain.

Gwyn Howat
Chief Executive Officer
Mt. Baker Ski Area, Inc.

Photo of mountain supervisors

1633799640432.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna