• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Spring Skiing: Love it or hate it?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm mixed. I love the warmer temps. And I love how the snow gets nice and soft in the bumps, so I can get in there and practice with NO ICE!

But I hate when the snow turns all gloppy and sticky and it's a mess to ski in. I hate seeing the bare patches emerge. And the prospect of the end of the season depresses me.

What about you?

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is still skiing, how can I hate it?

But I agree that I hate seeing the season coming to an end. But for me that just means I will start saving money for a new season.

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Warm, sunny days. Soft mushy snow. Sitting out on the deck at lunch time watching others ski down. Love it! :D

BUT, don't care much for the bare spots, and hate that it's the end of the season. :mad:

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I LOVE it! :smile: Even if it's sloppy and sticky, I LOVE it! :smile: It's great for the kids.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I'm mixed. I DO Love being outside for beautiful days in the sun.

But I hate the bare spots and the death knell of the season. And while warm is better for little kids, I have a really hard time dressing ODS for ski school so that he's warm enough in the morning and not sweating so much he's miserable in the afternoon.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
More than ever I have mixed feelings this season. I love the sun and the relaxed atmosphere and the soft bumps. I hate the gloppy stuff and the rocks/mud. But this year I have a new component coming through and that's that I'm ready to move full steam ahead with my tri training and I'm torn on whether I want to ski or train. Totally new concept for me but it sure will help when I can't ski that I've got a new thing that I love.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love it!! Although it's happening WAY too early this year. I'm hopeful for a winter comeback here the last few weeks of March, but I'm starting to wonder. As long as it stays cold enough for corn, I guess.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mixed feelings. Love the warm temps, soft snow and dec in wind. Love sitting on sunny patios at the end of the day enjoying adult beverages with friends.:grouphug:

I hate the slush and what it makes my knees feel like.

But, makes me sad that the ski season is coming to a close and mud season is just around the corner.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I LOVE spring skiing :ski2:. Warm weather, sunshine, soft bumps, sunglasses and tans, lounging on the deck, cook-outs in the parking lot, yeah baby! Sugar, corn, creamed corn, slop, glop, crud, snow cone, and Slurpee.....it's all good. The only thing I don't like is the really, really sticky stuff.

Even seeing the dirt, mud, and rocks means it's time to switch from skiing to biking - same thrills, different season and medium.

The end of the season this year, however, is especially poignant for me since my year was cut so short and I can't ride yet, either. :(

sdskiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely have mixed emotions. Love the sunny days but hate the mush. Bumps, which I absolutely love, are a whole new animal - when to ski, when not to ski, did the sun warm them up or are they still icy from the night before? And then, of course, the idea that with spring comes the end of the season - how depressing! Is there ever a season that you think you've skiied enough? I know that's never the way I feel. I always feel at the end of the season that it was way too short and I didn't get enough time on the hill.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I mostly like it. Most of my skiing seems to take place between Feb and April, as early season never seems to work out for me timing wise. So I guess spring conditions are what I'm used to, so I like them.

I've had to end my ski seasons in late March each year since I've skied and Spring doesn't usually come this early, so today was my first experience skiing in true Spring conditions.

It was fun, tiring, and relaxing all at once. Glad I had my Auras with me, they are great in these varied soft and icy conditions. Mini bumps everywhere from the snow being pushed around and lots of brilliant sunshine which was nice. After a few hours though, the snow on the flat areas got sticky and my skis had a hard time moving and I was afraid I would get one ski stuck and have a knee twist, so we called it a day.

Christy

Angel Diva
Well at home in the NW it sucks with our wet heavy deep snow but I'm here at Copper at it rocks! It's easy to ski in and 53 degrees? Are you kidding me? Love it.

abc

Banned
LOVE IT!

1) The sun is out and the snow is soft (I don't mind slush, it's not that different from the heavy northeast "powder")

2) Even bare spots don't bother me. I actually have fun jumping around the bare spots, think navigating rocks!

3) I love seeing grass poking up at the base village! Yeah, I'm a cycling diva!!! Yeehaaaaa!!!!!!

In any case, spring isn't quite here yet. Not for me at least.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I miss my hardpack:Cry:! I do not care much for heavy slush. It is OK for a few inches, but more than a few forget it! My technique is just not good enough for this stuff. I am trying though. But I :love: the sunny days and nights that come later too.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I like the sun.

I like not being cold.

I like being able to sit outside and have a drink and people watch.

I hate piles of snow that stop my feet, but let my body keep going!

Jilly

Staff member
I love the warm temps, sun and even the slush. Mashed potato snow is better than slush, but I always remember to have enough energy left to make it to the bottom pitch at Tremblant. The bumps are big and soft and lots of fun. If it gets too heavy, then its time for Mike's on the patio!

Delawhere

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any day spent with my family and on my skis, is a great day in my eyes! I love having less ice and I don't mind the slushy snow. The only thing I don't like about spring skiing is that it heralds the end of ski season.

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love spring skiing because I love slushy bumps :love: I too like a tasty beverage at the end of the day sitting in the sun and watching everything happening. So I don't like to think about the end of the season - that depression kicks in when I have to clean out our ski locker :(

But this season really seemed to go by fast. Maybe it is just because I am getting older or it was the dry January we had in California :noidea:

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I L-O-V-E SUN!!!!!!

I hate not knowing if I'll get to ski again this season.

I love not having to dress like the abominable snowperson.

I'm concerned about getting hurt when one or both skis stop and the rest of the body keeps going.

I love eating lunch outside, watching those still on the slopes.

I don't want to tear up my good skis on rocks...

I love the fact that the ice is gone.

But I really want to ski TODAY! Cataloochee is currently only open 1-10:00 pm weekdays, so I guess I'll call in the morning to see if it got cold enough to groom during the night. Otherwise it'll be waaaayyyy too chopped up from a week without grooming. I really have my heart set on skiing ~today~! They're to close Sunday. :fear:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga