• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So what's going to happen next season?

Christy

Angel Diva
AT all the way. :thumbsup: The US Forest Service has is right by keeping trails open. Plenty of skiing still to be had on easily accessible USFS trails with no one around.

NF trailheads are all closed here. They were open at first but there was too much congregating. "No one around" unfortunately doesn't seem to be a thing that happens in western Washington anymore.

marzNC

Angel Diva
When this all began, the resorts initiated some half-hearted social distancing measures, such as not trying to fill the gondola by squeezing in strangers, but allowing people to travel just with their groups. Someone forgot to tell the lifites, who continued to stuff in extra people, at least at Killington.

The lines for the lifts and gondola, not to mention the mob scenes in the lodges, are petri dishes waiting for a cough. Do I sound pessimistic? So much of the revenue comes from big crowds, big restaurant and bar bills, and the let-the-good-times-roll happy carelessness of people on vacation.
A LOT has been learned about COVID-19 since the beginning of March. Even the info that was known on other continents by mid-February took a while for enough people in N. America to understand. Any resort operator has many, many reasons to work hard to figure out a way to open safely. First for summer revenue, and then for the ski season. It will be a work in progress, but I have no doubt that simply shutting down until a vaccine is widely available is not what's going to happen for the large resorts. Less revenue still beats no revenue.

Ironically, the small ski areas without fancy lifts and gondolas may be in a better position to open. As Mount Baldy in southern California demonstrated for a couple weeks.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
NF trailheads are all closed here. They were open at first but there was too much congregating. "No one around" unfortunately doesn't seem to be a thing that happens in western Washington anymore.

Maybe you need to come a bit more south :wink:

mustski

Angel Diva
Its only one county he is shutting down, which will of course cause everyone to go to the other counties that have open beaches. This is way blown out of proportion by media, potentialy politically driven and taken from the view of a telephoto lens. Just saying.

Closing one (beach/ ski resort) just makes others flock to another which increases the density and makes distancing that much harder.

What is amusing is that he is opening the state beaches. Huntington state beach was the one in all the OC crowding photos.

I imagine it will be utterly devastating for all of the little oceanside towns in Maine to lose the summer. If a 14 day quarantine is required to visit, no one could do short term rentals, go eat at the many restaurants, stroll through the little shops, or just do a day trip anywhere. How do you come back from that as a business if you lose the entire season?? I don’t imagine the local economy will be able to make up for the loss of tourism.

Summer is the big tourist season for most of the USA. If we don't get our country open, there won't be much left. I read an article today that numerous NYC restaurants and bars are already announcing that it will be financially impossible for them to re-open. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that we completely cast aside all mitigation measures. We do need to move ahead though.

In terms of skiing, I think we will see more crowd control at ski resorts. The DV model of reserving a spot may become the new normal for awhile. I do believe they will open. There may not be lodges or restaurant service and you may have to line up outside for the restroom ... but they will open.

MissySki

Angel Diva
What is amusing is that he is opening the state beaches. Huntington state beach was the one in all the OC crowding photos.

Summer is the big tourist season for most of the USA. If we don't get our country open, there won't be much left. I read an article today that numerous NYC restaurants and bars are already announcing that it will be financially impossible for them to re-open. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that we completely cast aside all mitigation measures. We do need to move ahead though.

In terms of skiing, I think we will see more crowd control at ski resorts. The DV model of reserving a spot may become the new normal for awhile. I do believe they will open. There may not be lodges or restaurant service and you may have to line up outside for the restroom ... but they will open.

Well, some places will start reopening soon. Too soon to know how it will go with the amount of restrictions that will be required though. Will there be enough business with the lower volume of customers possible from social distancing measures? Will the demand be great enough in general? That’s within state, who knows what will happen with interstate travel restrictions where it seems some states may end up shooting themselves in the foot if they actually keep alienating tourists. Though there is a lot of noise about opening up, there are many who want the opposite as well. It’ll be interesting to see it all play out, from a distance. I have no interest in heading out in the early phases of reopening for shopping and dining.

elemmac

Angel Diva
That’s within state, who knows what will happen with interstate travel restrictions where it seems some states may end up shooting themselves in the foot if they actually keep alienating tourists.

As someone that lives in NH (in a tourist town), a few hundred feet from Maine, and about 15 miles from the Massachusetts state line...this is an interesting predicament and I'm not sure how governments/businesses should handle it. New England is an interesting location when it comes to state restrictions...there are many places in New England that you can hit 7 states within a 3 hour radius. Yet there's many places out west that you can only stay in your own state in that time frame.

As Maine and NH start to lift restrictions, Mass is still in a "stay-at-home" mode with no reopening plan yet (not that I've heard yet at least). I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me a little nervous on how many people will start heading north regardless of "stay-at-home", or self quarantining orders.

Already this past weekend a course in Maine opened up. A friend that went said it was supposed to be York County residents only, yet the parking lot was 1/2 Mass plates.

MissySki

Angel Diva
As someone that lives in NH (in a tourist town), a few hundred feet from Maine, and about 15 miles from the Massachusetts state line...this is an interesting predicament and I'm not sure how governments/businesses should handle it. New England is an interesting location when it comes to state restrictions...there are many places in New England that you can hit 7 states within a 3 hour radius. Yet there's many places out west that you can only stay in your own state in that time frame.

As Maine and NH start to lift restrictions, Mass is still in a "stay-at-home" mode with no reopening plan yet (not that I've heard yet at least). I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me a little nervous on how many people will start heading north regardless of "stay-at-home", or self quarantining orders.

Already this past weekend a course in Maine opened up. A friend that went said it was supposed to be York County residents only, yet the parking lot was 1/2 Mass plates.

RI is starting its reopening this weekend, if nothing changes. It’s a very slow phased approach, but the stay at home advisory will expire. MA is May 18th as of now, we’ll see if that gets extended, we have formed an advisory board that is supposed to have a phased reopening plan due on that date as well (why you wouldn’t have that plan done already like others is another issue..). However, they are already starting to lift some restrictions on some “non-essential” businesses to allow some employees to go in and to make deliveries where able etc. There is also a large movement to get golf courses open, and a plan is supposedly under review by the governor.

In all honesty though, I think there have been people doing day trips to other states all along and that will only increase as the weather gets nicer regardless of the advisories. Heck there are people who bought the house next door to me when this all started, they’ve been doing work on the house and haven’t had furniture moved in yet. They have multiple cars with NH license plates in and out several days per week, so they and their parents etc. have been crossing over continuously. I also saw a post in a NH hiking group where the OP was showing an exchange he’d had with some official where it was stated that for open trails, anyone is allowed for day use regardless of their state of origin. We’ve done take out and curbside pickup at some places in RI because we are super close to the border, and RI plates come here too. I just don’t think there is any real way to keep people out. You can not allow hotels and Bed and Breakfasts etc. to operate for short term rentals, but I don’t see how you stop day travel without literal barriers at the state lines. This seems highly unlikely if it hasn’t happened already, but I didn’t think we’d ever be where we are now either, so who knows.

A funny example of the interstate travel issue. Until now florists were not allowed to operate in MA for delivery, they are now lifting that restriction in part because Mother’s Day is such a huge time for them financially. However, my dad sent me flowers last week that were delivered to my house. The florist was located in RI and came to MA with the delivery. They wore a mask and gloves, as did I, for the hand off in my driveway. How is it okay for that to happen when the in state florists were not allowed to be doing the same thing??

Christy

Angel Diva
I've been wondering what would happen if everyone vacationed in their area. What is everyone that lived in Washington just vacationed in Washington? Would it be enough to keep most businesses going? Maybe it would be really nice, with lesser numbers of tourists. Not that it matters--We can't keep people out of our states. I worry about people coming from places like Georgia and Texas and undoing all of our work.

It's so frustrating to have uncoordinated efforts across the country. Public health experts have told us what we need to do in order to safely reopen and we still don't have the supplies to do it.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I've been wondering what would happen if everyone vacationed in their area. What is everyone that lived in Washington just vacationed in Washington? Would it be enough to keep most businesses going? Maybe it would be really nice, with lesser numbers of tourists. Not that it matters--We can't keep people out of our states. I worry about people coming from places like Georgia and Texas and undoing all of our work.

It's so frustrating to have uncoordinated efforts across the country. Public health experts have told us what we need to do in order to safely reopen and we still don't have the supplies to do it.

Yeah, I had really thought that regional efforts would at least be coordinated. They have been to some extent for the closures, but it’s seeming to look less so when reopening starts coming into play.

elemmac

Angel Diva
How is it okay for that to happen when the in state florists were not allowed to be doing the same thing??

It really doesn't make sense. It's drawing a hard line where it's not black and white. I'm sure you'd rather have a florist from some small area in RI rather than a florist from Boston right now...yet when you simply define rules by state lines, they're allowing the less safe option.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I am sure things are loosening up. When the interstate restriction was put into place in Rhode Island, and Massachusetts had prevented golf courses from opening there were arrests made. A bunch of Massachusetts cars showed up at a Rhode Island McDonald’s parked and left. They were picked up by someone with a Rhode Island plate. The employees noticed it and mentioned it to the authorities. When they all returned they were all cited by the local police. I haven’t heard of another incident that rigid but when it first started our governor was very specific!

It would be helpful, especially in New England which is so small, if the states could coordinate their dates and efforts. I tempted fate yesterday and got food (during senior hour) and gas at BJ’s in Massachusetts. The store is 1/ third of a mile or less across the border. And also miles and miles closer to me than either of the Rhode Island BJ’s locations! So I am guilty too!

elemmac

Angel Diva
It would be helpful, especially in New England which is so small, if the states could coordinate their dates and efforts.

It would make sense to start opening by county, rather than by state, IMO. That way counties in different states that are next to each other would have similar opening plans. But...not really sure if that's feasible.

mustski

Angel Diva
Our town is preparing to open once the governor gives the go ahead. It’s not supposed to open for lodging until phase 3. Truthfully, people must be renting privately because there have been visitors all along. I know they plan to have checkpoints at all the entrances to the mountain- not to check IDs but to explain the expected behaviors necessary for Big Bear to remain open.

We will continue to shelter for the most part. Bob is in a high risk group so we plan to follow the President’s guidelines and wait for phase 4.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It would be helpful, especially in New England which is so small, if the states could coordinate their dates and efforts. I tempted fate yesterday and got food (during senior hour) and gas at BJ’s in Massachusetts. The store is 1/ third of a mile or less across the border. And also miles and miles closer to me than either of the Rhode Island BJ’s locations! So I am guilty too!
You're not the only one. We live in MA, about 5 miles from the NH boarder. The closest grocery stores and a Costco are in NH. The pharmacy we use is there. We even use doctors in NH (next week my hubby will be going to NH for an eye Dr. appointment, his 1st time out since March as he has an ongoing condition that needs to be checked regularly)
Then there are the essential workers who work across the boarder and cross 5 days a week.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I strongly approve of our SC governor's very gradual approach to reopening even though I don't plan to take advantage of it for at least a month or two. I stocked up with nearly all I should need until mid to late June. With a life long history of pneumonia until the shots came out, I feel wayyy too vulnerable. As for ski season, I'd already bought my Cataloochee, NC & Okemo, VT passes. It may be that I have to drive to my ski slopes this coming season and skip the two trips to CO that I've yet to pay for, Steamboat & Telluride.

MissySki

Angel Diva
MA is expected to make an announcement on opening golf courses today. Sounds like whatever proposal was put forward is going to be approved.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It may be that I have to drive to my ski slopes this coming season and skip the two trips to CO that I've yet to pay for, Steamboat & Telluride.
My relatively new local ski buddy and I have discussed the idea of driving out to CO/UT from NC. He's drove out to CO once more or less solo with one of his daughters (not old enough to drive back then) for a spring break ski trip. JimK and his son used to drive out to CO from Washington DC during winter breaks. One reason his son was able to get in more than enough mileage on challenging terrain to become a Level 3 instructor in his 20s.

It's a bit farther than the 800 miles I used to drive to Lake Placid or New England, but being retired with less time constraints it's not out of the question.

Assuming of course that there are ski areas and destination ski resorts open out west next winter. Could be a good time to do a ski safari for less well known independent ski areas. The Indy Pass could be good for such an idea.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I found this summary really interesting, what states are easing restrictions, soon-to-be easing them, or with no official re-opening plan communicated yet.

When looking at the graphics, one needs to be aware of the number of daily cases, as each state has their own scale on the graph. There are definitely states that make you wonder what they're thinking about re-opening, and makes you wonder what others that don't have a plan yet are waiting for.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/states-reopen-map-coronavirus.html

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Without adequate testing and tracing, all of the re-opening and loosening of regulations depends upon responsible public behavior, and I feel like that's going to be our Achilles heel. Vermont is asking people to isolate for 14 days upon arrival or don't come. But we're certain to be flooded with weekend visitors from MA, NY, CT, and NJ beginning in a few weeks. People just genuinely don't think it's a big deal to pop up for a weekend of outdoor activity, and the problem is the aggregate impact of all of that travel. We can already see from nationwide cell phone tower data that even with tight restrictions, people are straying way too far from home for us to be able to make decisions based on state and local infection statistics.

The Murder Hornets may be our only hope of enforcing safe bahavior. :becky:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Without adequate testing and tracing, all of the re-opening and loosening of regulations depends upon responsible public behavior, and I feel like that's going to be our Achilles heel. Vermont is asking people to isolate for 14 days upon arrival or don't come. But we're certain to be flooded with weekend visitors from MA, NY, CT, and NJ beginning in a few weeks. People just genuinely don't think it's a big deal to pop up for a weekend of outdoor activity, and the problem is the aggregate impact of all of that travel. We can already see from nationwide cell phone tower data that even with tight restrictions, people are straying way too far from home for us to be able to make decisions based on state and local infection statistics.

The Murder Hornets may be our only hope of enforcing safe bahavior. :becky:

Pretty much every state in New England has this 14 day quarantine advisory in place if you are coming from out of state. I wonder what this does in all actuality for outdoor recreation though. I get it if people were going inside places, lodging, restaurants, etc. With all of that still closed though, if people are able to go in and out without gas and facilities, I don’t see it as detrimental personally. And isn’t that pretty proven at this point with the lack of spread that has happened in these states thus far? There is no shortage of people in Northern New England still complaining about the out of staters being up there, parking at trail heads, hiking, mountain biking, driving on the roads, being at their second homes, etc. Yet the infection rates haven’t gone up dramatically in these places either. In the next breath the same states congratulate themselves on flattening the curve.. again proving the point that the out of state people who have been going up for day trips all along did not in fact cause some huge spike in infections in the process.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna