• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So, he had the surgery today . . .

Jenny

Angel Diva
No, but he DID ask me to get one of his juggling balls. I got up and got it, but came to my senses before handing it to him.

Me: Why do you want it?

Him: Just to squeeze it.

Me: No. The doctor said NO active use of arm.

Him: It's not going to hurt.

Me: Squeezing uses your bicep.

Him: (sigh - and possibly an eye roll)

Me: We had this discussion before the surgery, remember? You agreed to follow all the doctor's and PT's directions to the letter, no more, no less.

Him: (another sigh) OK

I then reminded him how unpleasant it is when we fight. And how I wasn't afraid to go live somewhere else for the next few weeks, either.

Oh, and he got a shower. And we went out for lunch.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I say you keep the house and send him to SkiNana for a few weeks. Mr. SkiNana* is a pro at handling situations like this ... and their house is fully equipped for shoulder rehab.

*whose name, I think, should be SkiDaddle

Jenny

Angel Diva
Good point Vickie. It's only about a 4 hour dive, too (If they haven't gone to Big Sky yet, that is).

Jenny

Angel Diva
Had the post-op,appointment today and all is well. He still is supposed to wear the sling and not use the arm for another four weeks, but he's allowed to take it out and let it dangle, and do pendulum movements. He can also use it for keyboarding. Next appointment is just after Thanksgiving.

He's also still not really supposed to drive, mostly because if something surprising happened (deer, other driver, blown tire) he'd need to use the arm. Even though his work is 40 miles away it's not a huge deal because he can work at home. But he does need to go into the office a couple of days this week so I guess I'll get in a lot of car time driving him to work, then all the way back for my work, then back to his work, and then home.

After the next appointment they'll start therapy, and a few weeks after that they'll actually start working at strength.

Best news is that they still don't have a problem with him sking come January. And we've gotten assurances that we can go ahead and plan trips for late February/March. So yay! But I guess that means I'm the gear sherpa this year.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good news! Well, except for the chauffer and sherpa parts. He's going to feel really good when he gets on skis again. Hopefully, the upcoming holidays will be enough of a distraction that he won't get too antsy ... well, the holidays and the PT.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have promised my husband a dinner at the best steakhouse in Seattle for taking care of me post-hysterectomy; draining my catheter at 4 am mulitple nights in a row really went above and beyond.

So ... where and how was the dinner?

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
He still is supposed to wear the sling and not use the arm for another four weeks, but he's allowed to take it out and let it dangle, and do pendulum movements. He can also use it for keyboarding. Next appointment is just after Thanksgiving.

How's the arm doing?

I wondered, but neglected to ask ... when one is allowed to do pendulum movements, would doing them in a pool be beneficial, or is the resistance bad? Seems the resistance of the water would engage the muscles more - and maybe limit atrophy - and would allow a person to swing the arm only as fast as is comfortable and to stop the motion as soon as there is any discomfort. And wouldn't warm water be better? ("I had shoulder surgery. I'm recovering in a hot tub. Leave me alone!")

Christy

Angel Diva
So ... where and how was the dinner?

I tried to get a res for a Saturday in December and was told they book up 2 months in advance for those. I knew it's a popular place but geez...so I reserved for January. It's called Canlis; if you watch Top Chef it was on that last episode.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Arm is doing well. We don't have pool/hot tub access so I never asked the question either.

His first therapy appointment was today - just gentle stretching and ROM kind of thing. He said the therapist hurt him so he was indulging in some liquid pain medication. I think he went for the beer vs. the whiskey.

Pretty sure he does this for a few weeks, and then they introduce strengthening. Bit the doc said he could do LIGHT strengthening at home, so I had to remind him that that meant a can of soup, or the one pound weights, and did not mean 100 reps either!

After today, though, I think he realizes he has to work up to it. But since he got out of the sling last week he's already got a lot of movement and is doing a good job of not overdoing it.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jenny, that's excellent!

Christy's DH drained a catheter at 4 AM and he's getting dinner out at, apparently, a very special restaurant. Your DH threw up on you. Shouldn't there be a really special something coming up for you?

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well, to be honest, I'm betting the catheter draining was worse than the barf. Mainly because he mostly missed, but since some still touched me I call it throwing up on.

But I'll tell him what you think and see what it gets me!

(Just tried it - he snorted loudly and seems to disagree. I'll work on him.)

mustski

Angel Diva
Well, to be honest, I'm betting the catheter draining was worse than the barf. Mainly because he mostly missed, but since some still touched me I call it throwing up on.

But I'll tell him what you think and see what it gets me!

(Just tried it - he snorted loudly and seems to disagree. I'll work on him.)
Just book the restaurant and then let him pick up the tab. Once he's feeling himself he will be happy to oblige.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Let's not start a precedent here, or I'll owe DH about 4 nice dinners out, apparently at award winning restaurants.

Jenny, how goes the recovery?

Jenny

Angel Diva
I think he's doing really well. They are just now starting a little bit of strengthening in PT - his ROM is great in most directions, and every day he can see improvement in, say, taking off a fleece jacket even though it's stuck to the shirt underneath.

He still has cramping/pain after therapy, but it's in a good way, and the therapists are pleased. As a matter of fact, he just got home, and said they're adding more strength moves.

So, all in all, I think things have gone very smoothly.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like the worst is over, but don't mx liquids and solids if he's vomiting: one or the other, not both together.
Another thing that seems to help is popsicles for some reason. cold and sweet, I think.
That's pretty amazing though, all that sturm and drang and then next thing we know he's at the library!!

Jenny

Angel Diva
SkiNana - surgery was in October. Thankfully he got past the vomiting early on. You missed all the other stuff while dealing with you own crises! He's well into PT now and doing great.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, that sure makes me feel like I have my head up my . . . own affairs! :doh:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga