• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So, he had the surgery today . . .

Jenny

Angel Diva
DH decided his shoulder pain was enough that he chose surgery. Turns out the biceps tendon was partially torn from the labrum (SLAP tear) and he also had arthritis in the joint. So he had a distal clavicle resection/excision and a biceps tenodesis (where they change the attachment of the biceps tendon from the labrum to the bone).

I should say early on that I am just about the least nurturing person there is on this earth and I also have a sensitive gag reflex (good thing no kids, huh?). I just want to put this out there for everyone who's going to think I'm pathetic - I already know!

Anyway, seems like things went fine. We're home and he's hooked up to the cryocuff. At the risk of tempting fate, the vomiting seems to have stopped, and he only got me once. But I had to empty the bucket more times than I care to recall. And I don't think he feels peppy enough to really be whining yet. But that will come . . .

Oh what fun we're going to have!

Christy

Angel Diva
and he only got me once

Lol. Hang in there. I have promised my husband a dinner at the best steakhouse in Seattle for taking care of me post-hysterectomy; draining my catheter at 4 am mulitple nights in a row really went above and beyond.

It all reminds me of the scene in the West Wing when the first lady is putting on the Presidents' pants when his MS is acting up and he says, "So this is why they make you take vows." And she says, "Yes, this is why."

mustski

Angel Diva
I sympathize. I have a sympathetic gag response. Childrearing was terrible. My son still talks about the time that he "threw up on mom and she threw right back up on me." Oh well, he learned to make it to the bathroom. As they in sickness and in health, at least it's temporary.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No, Jenny, mustski was not suggesting that you reciprocate on your DH! Though it might be tempting!

This phase should end quickly. I wish I could say that the whining phase won't happen, but ... I'd bet on it. Maybe you need to hook him up with a shoulder surgery/recovery forum so he can commiserate there?

We're here for you.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I sympathize. I have a sympathetic gag response. Childrearing was terrible. My son still talks about the time that he "threw up on mom and she threw right back up on me." Oh well, he learned to make it to the bathroom. As they in sickness and in health, at least it's temporary.

Quite a picture!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I think now he's trying to decide whether he needs the pain pill or not. That's the only reason he's trying to eat, because they said to take it about a half hour after food. And he's ok until the first bite hits his stomach.

So far we've gone through chicken soup, saltines, and now we're trying yogurt. The banana got rejected partway through.

The hospital gave him coffee and a banana muffin.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Plain crackers or plain toast. Maybe sips of ginger ale. And small amounts to see how it goes. (Less to clean up that way!)

Maybe we can just sit here and chat through the night. My dog is having sympathy sickness. Hey, that's a thought ... have him try eating some grass!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Dog barf has got to be worse, I think. Pat your dog for thinking of Jim though. It's very thoughtful!

Didn't think of ginger ale. Don't know why - the only time I've ever had it was when we were kids and were sick.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yup. Saltines, and one at a time. My Mom is very sensitive to the pain meds and anesthetic as well...I had to MAKE her eat the saltines and drink Vernors (ginger ale) so she would keep it down. He'll NEED the pain meds very shortly, so he needs to try to get it down as soon as possible to stay ahead of the pain.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good for him for getting it fixed. After the AC surgery in July I couldn't keep anything down at all-not even water-until I stopped taking the percocet. If he really can't keep anything down, you could always ask for a pain patch for the first week or so until he can sleep without pain relief.

You're a hero and I'm sure he appreciated it between his trips to the bucket!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
This, too, shall pass.

Hope the surgery takes care of the problem for him, Jenny. Please give him my wishes for a fast and full recovery.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Litterbug - he's decided it's the anesthesia and the pain med (Norco - generic Vicodin, I think, along with acetaminophen) so since he's not in great pain he's just skipping the pills altogether. We're going to get some Tylenol today so he's got something to take, just in case.

But good news is he's eating, keeping it down (yay, fingers crossed that it continues), and slept comfortably all night long.

Hope I'm not fooling myself in thinking that he's through the worst and that the pain level won't increase!

Thanks Ski Diva and everyone for thinking of us.

He's got a follow up at the end of the month so we'll be able to talk a little more about when he can start skiing. When it was just the distal clavicle thing the doc said he'd be comfortable with him skiing in January. We'll have to see if the biceps thing adds on some more time.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Good. Tylenol only appears to be the key. He's been eating, keeping it down, and we went on an outing to the library.

Glad Toby is OK, too. At least Jim knows to either head to the bathroom or use the bucket. It would be extremely impressive if you could train the dog to do that!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sending healing thoughts! The first week after surgery seems to be the worst so hope that will be a quickly fading memory.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Lol. Hang in there. I have promised my husband a dinner at the best steakhouse in Seattle for taking care of me post-hysterectomy; draining my catheter at 4 am mulitple nights in a row really went above and beyond.

It all reminds me of the scene in the West Wing when the first lady is putting on the Presidents' pants when his MS is acting up and he says, "So this is why they make you take vows." And she says, "Yes, this is why."
Your DH does deserve a nice treat!

I miss that show . . .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna