• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Smith Photochromic lenses- any opinions?

ESGCO

Certified Ski Diva
Newbie poster here -- I could not find mention of the Smith Photochromic lenses since Jan of 2018, and would love to get an update if anyone uses them. I'm on the western slope of CO, a lot of days start cloudy and get sunny-ish, or start with some morning sun and get cloudy...photochromic makes sense on paper, but would love to hear about the execution!

Has anyone used them?
Opinon on Photochromic Red vs. Photochromic Rose Flash?

I have the yellow storm lens and everyday green, which I'll likely replace with a dedicated sun lens for those bright spring days, but really looking for a daily driver for days spent mostly in the backcountry, mixed conditions sun-wise, as well as skiing both above treeline and in heavy cover on the way back to the car. Thanks!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
My husband has the Smith Photochromic Rose Flash, and he thinks it stays too dark when it's cloudy. I think that may be the case with a lot of photochromic lenses. I have a Transitions Photochromic lens in a pair of Dragon goggles, and I think they stay too dark, too. I've actually gone back to changing lenses, depending on conditions. I now have the Smith I/O MAG S which uses magnets and a clip to hold the lens in place, and it's super easy to swap from one to another.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I just ordered a Photochromatic Rose Flash lens yesterday for my I/O MAG. Hoping they work out well early season. I mostly ski at a mountain that has a lot of north facing slopes, so the sun doesn't really hit until mid-season. I already had the goggles, so figured I'd give the lens a shot. I should have them this weekend, I'll report back once I have a chance to use them.

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Photochromic Rose Flash and wore them for the first time today at Snowmass, overcast conditions, sun peeked out only occasionally. I felt they were pretty good for the mixed conditions, didn't really feel they were too dark at all personally. Can't comment on the Photochromic Red lens though, I haven't tried that one. My other lens is the Sun Green Mirror which is great for my sensitive eyes in the bright sun!! I feel that the Rose Flash would probably not be good for me if it got too sunny though...

Where in Western CO are you at?

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also have the Photochromic Rose Flash googles. I also used them for the 1st time today at Copper. Overcast but no sun. They worked well for me. My contacts are mono vision-right eye is distance/left eye is reading. On cloudy days I have some issues with visibility but was pleased with these goggles today.
Years ago Zeal made a transition lens that I loved. Reacted quickly to changing conditions and they were great everyday goggles. I imagine that the technology has improved a lot since I bought those goggles.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I‘ve had the Photochromic Rose Flash for my IO/X goggles for two seasons now. There were a very few times when I thought it was too dark when cloud covers were especially heavy. Otherwise it performed well in mixed conditions where it went from bright sun to overcast and back.

ESGCO

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the replies! Can’t wait to hear more thoughts in the next few weeks. It sounds like aside from the v stormy and v sunny days, photochromic might be a great go-to.

@little lightening: Wow, we’re in a very similar situation. After premature cataract surgery in one eye, I have distance vision on that side but everything 10’ or so in front of my feet is blurry. With the other eye and a contact lens I can read, and have ok distance. It’s been 2 years and I still have balance and depth perception issues skiing/running/biking but it’s getting better. I feel for your struggle, have you found any exercises that help?
@COcanuck: just down the street in Carbondale :smile:

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Just want to add I have no problems in bright sunny days with the photochromic rose flash. But then I am used to not wearing sunglasses because my prescription is so heavy transition lenses are not possible and I refuse to carry 3 pairs of glasses (the other being progressive and reading).

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wore my photochromic rose flash goggles again today at Copper. Panicked a little when I saw the mountain. It looked socked in with snow. I could have used distance lcontact enses in both eyes to see better. In spite of that the visibility was pretty good. I would have been able to see better with both distance lenses but I did OK. Even saw some bumps on the side of the run I was skiing.

BTW, all that snow that Colorado is getting. Don't get excited. In spite of the big dump in the Denver area and eastern plains the ski areas in Summit County got 1-2" this morning. Not enough to open new runs. Hopefully, the storm this weekend will favor the mountains.

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BTW, all that snow that Colorado is getting. Don't get excited. In spite of the big dump in the Denver area and eastern plains the ski areas in Summit County got 1-2" this morning. Not enough to open new runs. Hopefully, the storm this weekend will favor the mountains.

sigh, I know, Aspen and Snowmass have only received 6" in the last 24 hours...doesn't seem like much in terms of snow tomorrow but hopefully picking back up on Thursday. Fingers crossed!

ESGCO

Certified Ski Diva
@COcanuck I would like that! However I only have a 7 day pass (and typically only make it up to the resorts 4-5 times) but I will let you know when I do go!

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@COcanuck I would like that! However I only have a 7 day pass (and typically only make it up to the resorts 4-5 times) but I will let you know when I do go!

@ESGCO awesome! I've also got some $59 passes that are good until December 20th if you had any time to go before then I'd be more than happy to gift them to you!

elemmac

Angel Diva
Took me awhile to get back here. But I've had about a 1/2 dozen days or so with the Photochromic Rose Flash, they're great. They're a perfect "I have no idea what the light is going to be today" lens. The only time I felt like they weren't sufficient was in blue-bird direct sunlight. Which, even then, unless you're sitting in direct sunlight for long periods of time, they were very tolerable. Low, flat light is always tough, and these do a pretty solid job adjusting.

Overall, super pleased with the performance. Would buy again.

ESGCO

Certified Ski Diva
I ended up getting the Photochromic Rose lenses and agree with the general consensus- they are fantastic.
I've skied them in decent sun, clouds, and even cloudy mornings after skinning, and visibility has been great in all conditions. Unless it's a true storm day, or spring bluebird, these are my daily drivers.
Also, maybe more importantly, they're really pretty.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I have the Oakley Prizm Pink and they were a lifesaver for me in flat light. I could actually spot the different snow conditions on the run. And your right about the pretty color!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Anyone try the Smith Chromapop storm yellow flash for really flat light? I’ve always had trouble with low light, but this year has seemed worse than past years. Not sure if the light has been worse than normal on some of my ski days, or if a year older eyes are the reason. Would really like a Smith lens I can get for my IOS goggles that would more reliably add contrast than my current red sensor lens. They are quite old, so perhaps any of the chromapops for lower light conditions would be an improvement?

ESGCO

Certified Ski Diva
@MissySki I do have these lenses and will let you know if/when I have an occasion to use them.

After using the Ignitor Mirror and whatever the generic low-light sensor lens from years ago was...I've found that the newer Smith lenses have much better contrast than older models, even with less light transmission. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you can find any of the newer lenses to try out.

ESGCO

Certified Ski Diva
@MissySki I used the storm yellow flash lenses yesterday to ski down around 700AM, with minimal daylight. I believe it was comparable to low/flat light storm conditions, and I was very happy with them. I have been skiing down in the mornings in either clear glasses or with no goggles, and it was reassuring to have the eye protection of goggles at speed, and also be able to see contours of the snow and terrain.

After many years with the same Ignitor Mirror lenses, I'm so glad my goggles broke last year and I finally got a new pair with all the fancy new Smith lenses- they really perform.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna