• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skitesting! 2014 Black Pearls (159 & 173), 2014 Armada TSTw, 2014 Nordica Wild Belles, DPS Nina 99

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am thinking of either the BP's or the wild bells,or temptation 88, as I ski 80% groomers, lots of hardpack in the sierra, and of course junky stuff at times. Any feedback about the above skis? I am 5'9", 153 pounds, love to ski fast on groomers but am tentative on ice and moguls. Thanks!

I'd suggest the Wild Belles are probably better for those conditions. They won't let you down. Sounds like I'm a similar skier to you..

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'd suggest the Wild Belles are probably better for those conditions. They won't let you down. Sounds like I'm a similar skier to you..
+2! Loved the WB, very versatile, covered a "bit more ground" than the other 2, although all are lovely. WB on hard pack and soft man-made, it rocked all.

h2orider

Certified Ski Diva
LOVE the Black Pearls! I got this years model early last spring and absolutely love them, after months of demo ing a ton of other skis the BPs were so fun! I've taken them out West and they're great in the Midwest where I live..

h2orider

Certified Ski Diva
BTW I have the 166s (and are perfect, I'm about 5 7, 135, have performed outstanding in all terrain so far..I've even had racer high school kids comment on them..."nice skis!"

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I wasn’t altogether thrilled with the Black Pearl tip flap on hard pack. Whereas the Wild Belle, in similar conditions a week prior, did not. This is probably a function of percentage of rocker/tip rise between the 2. There wasn’t chatter-feedback, per se, on the Black Pearl, but the movement was moderately unnerving. Had demo’d them in softer snow conditions, to which they may now be largely relegated. Need more edge engagement in harder snow conditions. (166) Actually, I seem to altogether prefer full-on camber in hard snow conditions.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agree with MSL, the BPs aren't really made for hard pack and boiler-plate. Whilst the ones I tried were fine on the hard stuff, it was the soft snow where they really came into their own. I want a pair so much!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Therein lies the problem: no ski is going to do it all (at least well). The best one can realistically hope for is “covering the bases.” Skier conundrum is determining *which* bases are best covered, sacrificing some level of performance in other areas. In similar conditions, I switched back to old reliable Dynastar Eden, with a metal layer. Less tip rise. Solid as a rock. Would they float as well in softer (or, wow, untracked/tracked-up) snow? No. How often do I *really* experience those conditions where I ski? What do I *really* need more often than not?

I think it’s a decision scenario that most of us have to muddle through before making a choice - and hopefully not a costly mistake.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will say that with the dismal snow conditions we have this year out west (Mammoth) I am REALLY wishing I had a pair of narrow carvers to take next week. My Black Pearls are FINE on hard snow but they def don't shine there. Might have to demo some for a day. I did demo Fischer KOA 84's last year in soft and hard snow, and I LOVED them.

And what did I buy during the fall sales season? Sambas, which are even wider than the Pearls! :doh:

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wasn’t altogether thrilled with the Black Pearl tip flap on hard pack. Whereas the Wild Belle, in similar conditions a week prior, did not. This is probably a function of percentage of rocker/tip rise between the 2. There wasn’t chatter-feedback, per se, on the Black Pearl, but the movement was moderately unnerving. Had demo’d them in softer snow conditions, to which they may now be largely relegated. Need more edge engagement in harder snow conditions. (166) Actually, I seem to altogether prefer full-on camber in hard snow conditions.

That was exactly how I felt about the Black Pearls when I demoed them on icy hardpack last season. Fine, but a bit nerve-racking. I mean, they held their own, but they didn't make me feel like I could trust them fully. Compared to my full-camber Salomon Opals, it was like night and day.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That was exactly how I felt about the Black Pearls when I demoed them on icy hardpack last season. Fine, but a bit nerve-racking. I mean, they held their own, but they didn't make me feel like I could trust them fully. Compared to my full-camber Salomon Opals, it was like night and day.

Me too. Perhaps those of us that do not carry a lot of weight have a different reaction to their use for hardpack conditions. As MSL mentioned, the tip was a problem. Rather unruly and less than confidence-inspiring. And so many other skiers experience the opposite. In soft snow I'd be willing to demo them again just to be fair and maybe even enlightened.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do carry a lot of weight -- more than I'd care to admit, most days -- so I don't know if it's that. I think some of us are just accustomed to the solid feeling of skinnier, full-camber carvers, and so a lightweight ski like the Black Pearls just feels odd. Maybe if I had more experience with skis like that, I'd change my mind. But so far I've yet to demo anything rockered that I liked.

Then again, I cruise the groomers all day and I ski in a place known for icy hardpack. YMMV.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Compared to my full-camber Salomon Opals, it was like night and day.
As was my experience, compared to demo on an 80 wide full camber Ramp Frenzy (wow>amazing).
I'd be willing to demo them again just to be fair and maybe even enlightened.
Big difference, when there is actual snow beneath that "uprise." Very nice. Floaty.
I ski in a place known for icy hardpack. YMMV.
As do I. Which is making me re-think my ski width and configuration philosophy altogether. Can't get that Ramp Frenzy out of my head! Just took off, didn't stop, everything worked. I was skiing no differently than I had been on skis that just weren't cutting it for me. Then there was this one....But it's as much a conditions factor as anything else, and I need to be realistic about where - and WHAT kind of conditions - I typically ski.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^ it's a tough decision, and even more so for me. In the Alps you can encouter a full range of conditions in the space of a week, and as I have to take my skis on a plane (and pay for it!), I can't haul three pairs with me.

I need a ski which will perform well in all the conditions I'm likely to encounter on piste, and so far I'd say my Idylls were a good choice.

I've never heard of the Ramp Frenzy, will have a Google.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I own the BPs too and like them mostly in fresh snow or spring slushy snow. They do hold an edge quite well on hard pack, but if I know it will be icier, I tend to prefer my fully cambered skis.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Me too. Perhaps those of us that do not carry a lot of weight have a different reaction to their use for hardpack conditions. As MSL mentioned, the tip was a problem. Rather unruly and less than confidence-inspiring. And so many other skiers experience the opposite. In soft snow I'd be willing to demo them again just to be fair and maybe even enlightened.

Badger, I am wondering if the Black Pearls you took out had a bad tune.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
so far I'd say my Idylls were a good choice.

I've never heard of the Ramp Frenzy, will have a Google.
Here you go:
https://www.rampsports.com/
Rapidly up and coming USA-made brand, nice line-up.
Overall, re: Idyll, I'd say you're right. Very versatile skis. Old saying: "If it ain't broke..." etc. Frenzy wasn't dissimilar to the Idylls I previously had (and sold - full camber), just livelier/less damp.
More a function of the percentage of tip rocker, which is substantial - had a good chance to measure it all out a couple of seasons ago. Too much edge loss in hard snow for my comfort, based on that rocker amount. Fine in soft. Possibly not versatile enough for me, who knows. Need, as does LY above, to cover more bases.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The skis I demoed were brand new and mounted with Squires.( which were fine.)
The shop was offering the skis to me as a.possible purchase at the very end of their season. The BPs didn't act like they were skiing badly. I just felt they wanted softer snow and that the Kenjas I had brought with me.were far superior in the conditions faced that day.
My senses are telling me that the Cham 87 will be perfect for the next purchase as an addition to my primarily front side Belle to Belles. And I can't wait to demo those as soon as we get a bountiful snowfall.

Christy

Angel Diva
Funny, I just bought the BPs last night (or rather my husband got them for me as an Xmas gift) because I've demoed them twice at Sun Valley on what I call hardpack and I loved them--they are going to be my "no new snow" ski. But I think what I call hardpack (which is really mostly decent snow, just not any new or fresh snow, with some scoured spots) and what you guys are talking about is different. I am 5'4", 116, and I liked the 166s.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But I think what I call hardpack (which is really mostly decent snow, just not any new or fresh snow, with some scoured spots) and what you guys are talking about is different. I am 5'4", 116, and I liked the 166s.

I've never skied in Seattle but I suspect you might be right. There's a running joke here about all the euphemisms that the ski reports will use to avoid the word "ice". Everything from "hardpack" to "fast conditions" to "scraped out". My favourite is local ski reporter Guy Thibaudeau, who would say things like "frozen granular on a firm base".

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would have to agree, the term is definitely relative! For us, it's usually edgeable groomers with some more sheered-off spots tossed in there that'll launch you if you're not careful. I did ski the Pearls across a large section of what was a race course at Mammoth last spring, and it was also wind-scoured (following skibum4ever, for which we all gave her a friendly dose of teasing about) and they never made me feel uncomfortable at all on it. That being said, I have very few other skis to compare them to on those conditions, I just know they don't scare me on that kind of stuff.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna