• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skitesting! 2014 Black Pearls (159 & 173), 2014 Armada TSTw, 2014 Nordica Wild Belles, DPS Nina 99

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have finally had a proper chance to test some skis, and it was REALLY good fun. On my recent trip with a ski club, a ski shop brought along some 80 pairs of skis for the group to try out. They had a huge range from proper GS race skis to giant fat White Dot skis.

About me: I'm 5'7, pretty heavy and have approx 35 weeks skiing behind me. I should be a lot better than I am, and I enjoy fast on-piste cruising the most. I'm not very experienced at off-piste.

Most, if not all of the skis I tried were next season's skis. So here we go.

First up was the 2014 Black Pearls, I grabbed them as soon as I saw them, I've been wanting to try these babies for months!

https://www.peakskishop.com/thumbna..._black_pearl_2013-14 vert.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0

I think the stats are very well known but anyway:

TECH SPEC:-
Dimensions 125-88-110
Radius 18m @ 173cm length
Weight 1700gms per ski @ 173cm length
Sandwich Sidewall Quadrax
Light wood core with bamboo
ISO Core
Tip and tail Rocker
Flip core 3D

They only had the 159s and the 173s to try, which was a shame - I'd have liked to try the 166s. I took out the 159s first and WOW. I am firmly in the Black Pearl lover's club. These skis do anything! They were quick, light, turned on a sixpence, and felt lively and simply fun. However, the 159 is definitely slightly too short for me, and I felt I needed a tiny bit more stability. They do ski very short. I was skiing them on hard snow in the morning, and they had stacks of grip. I had no doubt they'd be even better in softer snow.

I tried the 173s the following day to see the difference. This time the conditions were afternoon heavy slush and they were fantastic! The extra length meant they just powered through the slush and crud, and had a wonderful turn of speed. BUT I think the 173s were a smidge too long, as I couldn't turn them as easily as the 159s and had to work them a bit more. I would buy these skis in a heartbeat, and 166 would be my perfect length. Just a shame I didn't get to try them.

Next up, the 2014 Nordica Wild Belles in a 162. Here's a link to how they look:

https://skiblog.powder7.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/nordica-sidecountry-skis.jpg

TECHNICAL SPECS:
Construction: ENERGY Ca wi-core
Cam Rock: Early Rise
Sizes (cm) 162
Sidecut 126-84-112
Radius (m) 15

I took these out on hard snow, and I really liked them. They're simply a solid, all-round performer. 162 felt the perfect length for me. They carved and gripped well, turned easily and were happy to go fast or slow. They weren't as lively as the Black Pearls, but would simply do whatever is required. There's not much else to say really. I didn't try them on softer or heavier snow, but with the 84 waist I have no doubt they'd be just fine. They didn't feel as wide as they are - I highly recommend them.

So, then it was onto some off-piste bad boys.

I took out the DPS Nina 99 in a 169.

https://www.dpsskis.com/ski/nina99

Lengths 169cm, 176cm
Dimensions 121/99/108
Turn Radius 17M@176cm
Construction tip / tail rocker
Core Material
Bamboo, Carbon, Fiberglass

I've never skied anything this wide before and they took some getting used to. I took them out in heavy slush, but I think they needed a different wax on them because they kept sticking in the snow, it's like the bases had cheese on them. The snow WAS sticky, but I can't really give them an honest review because they felt like they were trying to kill me! I think they're marketed as a daily driver, but really I think they're mostly for off-piste as they are quite soft. I wouldn't buy them anyway, too gnarly for me.

Lastly I tried the 2014 Armada TSTw in a 174. Now these skis looked COOL. (they're ones third from the left, and that is both skis in the pic)

index.php

Specs

• Ability Level: Intermediate-Advanced
  • Rocker Type: Rocker/Camber
  • Core/Laminates: Wood
  • Tail Type: Full Twin Tip
Size (cm)156165174
Tip Width (mm) 129 130 131
Waist Width (mm) 99 100 101
Tail Width (mm) 120 121 122
Turning Radius (m) 11.5 12.6 14.7

I felt like a cool ski dude wearing these, I must say. Again, these are really an off-piste ski, so I wasn't trying them in ideal conditions. It was deep slush on piste.

These skis were really a bit too much for me to handle. They liked to go fast and they certainly flew through the slush, but I think they'd be a handful on bumps and steeps - certainly in the 174 length anyway, which was really too long for me. Maybe I'd have got on better with 165s. They were what I think would be a 'damp' ski - they felt very stiff, and not really for short turns. On the long, sweeping turns they were ideal - but they did feel wide.

If you're an off-piste Diva, I think you'd like these, but as I'm mainly a piste skier, these aren't for me.

So of all the skis I tried, I loved the BPs best and would buy them, followed by the Wild Belles. (They did have the Hell's Belles too, but I didn't have time to try them, I think I would have liked them.)

There was a full range of Kneissl skis available too. I didn't have a chance to buy them but they were getting a LOT of love and a few people bought them. Definitely worth trying if you get the chance, everyone was raving about them.

https://www.kneissl-uk.com/skis/

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How fun to demo so many! Thanks for the reviews. Another Black Pearl fan :thumbsup:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Nice reviews! :thumbsup:
There was a full range of Kneissl skis available too. I didn't have a chance to buy them but they were getting a LOT of love and a few people bought them. Definitely worth trying if you get the chance, everyone was raving about them.

Kneissl!! My very first ski. Wow, thought they were long gone - and, in a sense, they are - haven't been distributed in the US for a very long time, as far as I know. I did check the website, looks like a nice line-up.

Karlyboogy

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the review! Where did you try these (what place and shop)? Do you think you could demo there as a consumer?

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No, it was a special ski test set up in Val Thorens for a ski forum I belong to. There were 120 people on it, and the organisers invited a UK ski shop (Ellis Brigham) to come over with a load of demo skis for us all to try (and buy if we wanted), so it was just a one-off.

However they do run demo days at UK snow domes too:

https://www.ellis-brigham.com/advice-inspiration/guides-and-advice/demo-for-free/

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Which ski forum arranged the demo? Was it snowheads by any chance? I didn't know they did that sort of thing. How was VT- did you get out of VT much to other bits of the 3v? ( questions questions....)

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Which ski forum arranged the demo? Was it snowheads by any chance? I didn't know they did that sort of thing. How was VT- did you get out of VT much to other bits of the 3v? ( questions questions....)

Yes, it was Snowheads. I've never been on any of their bashes before, so I didn't know either - maybe it was a one-off. It was great week though, such a laugh! As well as the ski-testing they arranged a vodka party, an evening meal at a mountain restaurant then skiing down in the dark, eating at a 2 Michelin star restaurant and even a timed slalom course with racing bibs (which I was crap at). Oh and I had 5 hours of mogul lessons with an ex pro moguls/slalom skier called Claude. So VT was actually fantastic. The snow was great, there was just so much of it but it did get very hot and very slushy by the end of the week. Yes we made it right across the three valleys to Courchevel 1650 and it was wonderful. Empty pistes and gorgeous spring snow; we had the place to ourselves!

L'Oxalys apartments are very nice too, and somehow I was sharing the penthouse! It was lovely.

I wanted to do Jerusalem but it was closed by the time we got around to it, MEH. I also had a proper look at the traverse into Grand Couloir (which was closed) and there is NO WAY you'd get me down that! Also, I didn't know sections of the couloir are 40 degrees :bolt:

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a member of Snowheads-but I'm not such an enthusiastic poster of messages as here. Their forums aren't as user friendly I find, though I confess I like the injection of humour/irony and general all round British cynicism which you get there. My user name is the same though!

abc

Banned
I did the snowheads' EoSB (End of Season Bash) a couple years back. There was a Icelantic ski demo that year too.

And the same one evening meal on the mountain and ski down in the dark (I enjoyed the diner but not so much the ski down in the dark part). Same long day skiing over to Courchevel, lazy lunch and long ski back bit too. Instruction and guided off-piste was available though I didn't do them. Racing through the gate I did in an earlier bash and found not my thing, so I skipped that and went skiing on my own that day...

I'm on snowheads with the same user name. I confess I don't always get the dry British humor (mmm... humour). But I'm particularly keen on the more first hand personal experience of skiing in the Alps. Plus all the information on logistic are helpful for me too, because I'm only one single 6 hours direct flight away from the Alps (ok, add a train ride, but no need for tight connections). :wink:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I own the 159cm BP's, but early in the season I bought the Dynastar Legend Idylls for a price I simply could not refuse. Liquid Yellow, I believe you were one of the divas who got them and loooved them. For good reason--they are "lively and simply fun" just like you felt about the BPs. I enjoy both--for groomers they are fast and stable, for deeper snow, my BPs are my go-to.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
VickiK I certainly am! The Idylls are such a great ski, and yet so relatively inexpensive. Mine were a bargain too. I do think I may be tempted by the BPs though, I thought they were awesome. Must resist!!

I did the snowheads' EoSB (End of Season Bash) a couple years back. There was a Icelantic ski demo that year too.

And the same one evening meal on the mountain and ski down in the dark (I enjoyed the diner but not so much the ski down in the dark part). Same long day skiing over to Courchevel, lazy lunch and long ski back bit too. Instruction and guided off-piste was available though I didn't do them. Racing through the gate I did in an earlier bash and found not my thing, so I skipped that and went skiing on my own that day...

I'm on snowheads with the same user name. I confess I don't always get the dry British humor (mmm... humour). But I'm particularly keen on the more first hand personal experience of skiing in the Alps. Plus all the information on logistic are helpful for me too, because I'm only one single 6 hours direct flight away from the Alps (ok, add a train ride, but no need for tight connections). :wink:

I must say, it was all fantastically organised. I've never been on a holiday with so many things laid on. I'd have thought trying to accommodate 120 skiers/boarders would be a nightmare, but it all seemed to go amazingly well.

I don't know about the dry humour, but I do know a lot of drinking was involved!

abc

Banned
I must say, it was all fantastically organised. I've never been on a holiday with so many things laid on. I'd have thought trying to accommodate 120 skiers/boarders would be a nightmare, but it all seemed to go amazingly well.
Well, Graham had a lot of practice real fast. From a 20-30 person bash several years back to the 100+ now!

Also, it's a very different clientel. Most people going on bashes are the independent, well-travelled type who could have easily put a trip together on their own but prefer doing it with like-mined fellow skiers. So there's a lot of people ready (and VERY able) to help out when there's any question/problem. It's totally different from commercial tour company trying to cater to people who had never traveled outside their own home villages independently and needed someone to hold their hand every step of the way!

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^ good point!

I've read a topic on here where everyone LOVES the TSTws, it's funny how what one Diva loves, another just doesn't get on with. They were OK, but out of my league.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
that's funny cause I love fatter skis in the afternoon slush, I was skiing my Auras on May 1st and was jealous of a girl I saw skiing some Volkl Shiros , she was having fun :smile:

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just loved the Black Pearls more. The Armadas felt very long and didn't turn as easily :-)

EnglishSnowflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great reviews LY, thank you :becky:. I really must try and demo a pair of BP's before I commit to something at the beginning of next season so even better to know Brigham's are stocking them. Know it shouldn't matter but sooooo pretty!

westminstergirl

Certified Ski Diva
I have finally had a proper chance to test some skis, and it was REALLY good fun. On my recent trip with a ski club, a ski shop brought along some 80 pairs of skis for the group to try out. They had a huge range from proper GS race skis to giant fat White Dot skis.

About me: I'm 5'7, pretty heavy and have approx 35 weeks skiing behind me. I should be a lot better than I am, and I enjoy fast on-piste cruising the most. I'm not very experienced at off-piste.

Most, if not all of the skis I tried were next season's skis. So here we go.

First up was the 2014 Black Pearls, I grabbed them as soon as I saw them, I've been wanting to try these babies for months!

https://www.peakskishop.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/2013-2014 skis/blizzard 2013-14/blizzard_black_pearl_2013-14 vert.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0

I think the stats are very well known but anyway:

TECH SPEC:-
Dimensions 125-88-110
Radius 18m @ 173cm length
Weight 1700gms per ski @ 173cm length
Sandwich Sidewall Quadrax
Light wood core with bamboo
ISO Core
Tip and tail Rocker
Flip core 3D

They only had the 159s and the 173s to try, which was a shame - I'd have liked to try the 166s. I took out the 159s first and WOW. I am firmly in the Black Pearl lover's club. These skis do anything! They were quick, light, turned on a sixpence, and felt lively and simply fun. However, the 159 is definitely slightly too short for me, and I felt I needed a tiny bit more stability. They do ski very short. I was skiing them on hard snow in the morning, and they had stacks of grip. I had no doubt they'd be even better in softer snow.

I tried the 173s the following day to see the difference. This time the conditions were afternoon heavy slush and they were fantastic! The extra length meant they just powered through the slush and crud, and had a wonderful turn of speed. BUT I think the 173s were a smidge too long, as I couldn't turn them as easily as the 159s and had to work them a bit more. I would buy these skis in a heartbeat, and 166 would be my perfect length. Just a shame I didn't get to try them.

Next up, the 2014 Nordica Wild Belles in a 162. Here's a link to how they look:

https://skiblog.powder7.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/nordica-sidecountry-skis.jpg

TECHNICAL SPECS:
Construction: ENERGY Ca wi-core
Cam Rock: Early Rise
Sizes (cm) 162
Sidecut 126-84-112
Radius (m) 15

I took these out on hard snow, and I really liked them. They're simply a solid, all-round performer. 162 felt the perfect length for me. They carved and gripped well, turned easily and were happy to go fast or slow. They weren't as lively as the Black Pearls, but would simply do whatever is required. There's not much else to say really. I didn't try them on softer or heavier snow, but with the 84 waist I have no doubt they'd be just fine. They didn't feel as wide as they are - I highly recommend them.

So, then it was onto some off-piste bad boys.

I took out the DPS Nina 99 in a 169.

https://www.dpsskis.com/ski/nina99

Lengths 169cm, 176cm
Dimensions 121/99/108
Turn Radius 17M@176cm
Construction tip / tail rocker
Core Material
Bamboo, Carbon, Fiberglass

I've never skied anything this wide before and they took some getting used to. I took them out in heavy slush, but I think they needed a different wax on them because they kept sticking in the snow, it's like the bases had cheese on them. The snow WAS sticky, but I can't really give them an honest review because they felt like they were trying to kill me! I think they're marketed as a daily driver, but really I think they're mostly for off-piste as they are quite soft. I wouldn't buy them anyway, too gnarly for me.

Lastly I tried the 2014 Armada TSTw in a 174. Now these skis looked COOL. (they're ones third from the left, and that is both skis in the pic)

index.php

Specs

• Ability Level: Intermediate-Advanced
  • Rocker Type: Rocker/Camber
  • Core/Laminates: Wood
  • Tail Type: Full Twin Tip
Size (cm)156165174
Tip Width (mm) 129 130 131
Waist Width (mm) 99 100 101
Tail Width (mm) 120 121 122
Turning Radius (m) 11.5 12.6 14.7

I felt like a cool ski dude wearing these, I must say. Again, these are really an off-piste ski, so I wasn't trying them in ideal conditions. It was deep slush on piste.

These skis were really a bit too much for me to handle. They liked to go fast and they certainly flew through the slush, but I think they'd be a handful on bumps and steeps - certainly in the 174 length anyway, which was really too long for me. Maybe I'd have got on better with 165s. They were what I think would be a 'damp' ski - they felt very stiff, and not really for short turns. On the long, sweeping turns they were ideal - but they did feel wide.

If you're an off-piste Diva, I think you'd like these, but as I'm mainly a piste skier, these aren't for me.

So of all the skis I tried, I loved the BPs best and would buy them, followed by the Wild Belles. (They did have the Hell's Belles too, but I didn't have time to try them, I think I would have liked them.)

Hi Liquid Yellow,
Do you think the Nordica Wild Belles are a 'better' piste ski than the BPs? I think we've had a chat on here before and you might remember that I didn't get on with the BPs at all last winter. It's been suggested today that I might want to consider the Nordica Belle to Belle or Wild Belle so I'd love to hear how you thought the Wild Belles differed from the BPs. Hope that makes sense!

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the Wild Belles are slightly stiffer than the BPs, and probably more of an all-rounder. Whilst the BPs are fine on piste, I think they are most at home in softer, deeper snow. The BPs felt light on my feet, almost like I was flying over everything. They were just such fun, and simply effortless.

The Nordicas felt solid, dependable and very confidence-building. They did everything I required. They turned really well, coped admirably with rock-hard early-morning spring piste conditions, didn't chatter at speed, held a great edge and were happy at whatever speed I wanted to go.

Whether they are a 'better' piste ski, I'm not sure, but they're probably designed more with the piste in mind than the BPs are.

I honestly couldn't find one thing not to like about them, and if I was in the market for a new pair of one-quiver skis, I think the Wild Belles would be top of my list.

However, given the choice of both right now, I'd take the BPs hands down.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I own the 159cm BP's, but early in the season I bought the Dynastar Legend Idylls for a price I simply could not refuse. Liquid Yellow, I believe you were one of the divas who got them and loooved them. For good reason--they are "lively and simply fun" just like you felt about the BPs. I enjoy both--for groomers they are fast and stable, for deeper snow, my BPs are my go-to.
Sounds like the 3 of us have very similar ski-feel preferences - :becky: - and should touch bases, in re: demo experiences.

mountainflower

Certified Ski Diva
I think the Wild Belles are slightly stiffer than the BPs, and probably more of an all-rounder. Whilst the BPs are fine on piste, I think they are most at home in softer, deeper snow. The BPs felt light on my feet, almost like I was flying over everything. They were just such fun, and simply effortless.

The Nordicas felt solid, dependable and very confidence-building. They did everything I required. They turned really well, coped admirably with rock-hard early-morning spring piste conditions, didn't chatter at speed, held a great edge and were happy at whatever speed I wanted to go.

Whether they are a 'better' piste ski, I'm not sure, but they're probably designed more with the piste in mind than the BPs are.

I honestly couldn't find one thing not to like about them, and if I was in the market for a new pair of one-quiver skis, I think the Wild Belles would be top of my list.

However, given the choice of both right now, I'd take the BPs hands down.

Am thinking of either the BP's or the wild bells,or temptation 88, as I ski 80% groomers, lots of hardpack in the sierra, and of course junky stuff at times. Any feedback about the above skis? I am 5'9", 153 pounds, love to ski fast on groomers but am tentative on ice and moguls. Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly