• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skis of the Future - 2017 (Part 2) - Volkl

elemmac

Angel Diva
Volkl 2017 Preview Day

Conditions: Morning was hard-packed, classic ice-coast day after 50 degree temperatures, then down to 30 at night (but still edgable). Temps during the day rose to 50+, snow softened up, and it became a classic spring skiing mashed potato kind of day.

90Eight W (163) –

I enjoyed everything about this ski, it was fun, playful, but it could definitely charge when pushed. The flat tail shape allowed it so carve well on groomers, but it’s width kept up with the variable bumps and soft spots. I thought I was going to want it longer, but the 163 was perfect for me. It never wavered or felt too short. I could see this being fantastic in the trees being as nimble as it was out in the open. This is a ski that could easily make a one-ski-quiver, especially for those on the west-coast.

Race Tiger (155) –

This was the outcast for the day, I’ve never skied a slalom ski, I’ve never raced, and don’t know how to review race skis with a race mentality. But this did exactly what it was meant to do, arc short turns like it was nobody’s business. I wish I demoed this early in the day, but I took it out late enough in the day that it was starting to soften up and bump up (the ski did not like bumps). Either way, the Race Tiger and I got along and had a few fun runs together laying railroad tracks all over the mountain.

Aura (170) –

Bombproof. Actually no, it IS the bomb. The Aura is a charger ski, it likes to go fast, it’s not the most forgiving, and annihilates whatever you throw at it. I’ve skied this one before, and enjoyed it then, and enjoyed it this year as well. It’s a damp ski with lots of energy, but not much pop, which is exactly what happens when you throw two sheets of titanium into a ski. This is the ski that defies the “shrink it and pink it” movement so many companies embrace. The only reason I don’t already own a pair of these is because the 170 feels long and the 163 feels just a bit short.

Kenja (163) –

The Kenja was redesign in 2015/16, and is kept the same for 2016/17. This was my first go about with it as a 90 underfoot ski. I think there have been quite a few reviews on this one on the site, so I won’t beat it to death. I had a fun time with it, but I think if I get another chance I’d try it in the 170.

One W (176) –

This ski. Wow. I just have so much fun on it. If you want to just carve…this is probably one of the worst choices for a ski you could make. The One likes to bounce and skip down the hill, it has the energy of a child, but the stability of an ox. I skied it last year with a couple feet of powder, and it was the ski I’ve dreamt about since. This year, with less than ideal conditions for a powder ski, it was still a blast. It holds surprisingly well on groomed runs, and ate up the spring bumps late in the day. It’s far from a one-ski quiver, but I could see it making a nice edition to anyone’s collection.

Thank you!! I love Volkl skis and have the Kenja and Aura on my list. I tried a slalom ski for the first time last month and holy crap that's fun. The Racetiger sounds like a blast.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is exactly why I am not getting Auras too. 163 was perfect without rocker but I tried 170 with tip rocker and while the length is manageable it's still a lot of ski to ski daily.

elemmac

Angel Diva
@ski diva - I didn't, and now I'm kind of kicking myself for not giving them a shot earlier in the day. I'll be honest, carving-oriented and classic all-mountain skis generally don't excite me like a good freeride ski does, so I didn't really consider them until fairly late in the day. By that point the snow was getting mashed-potato-y, I only had a run or two left before closing, and I didn't want to give up the One's.

I did ride up the chairlift with an ex-U.S. Ski Team racer who was on the Flair (81? I believe), and she said they were a lot of fun, lively, and overall a solid ski.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2014-10-22_11-37-18-620x330.jpg

Volkl 2017 Preview Day

Conditions: Morning was hard-packed, classic ice-coast day after 50 degree temperatures, then down to 30 at night (but still edgable). Temps during the day rose to 50+, snow softened up, and it became a classic spring skiing mashed potato kind of day.

90Eight W (163) –

I enjoyed everything about this ski, it was fun, playful, but it could definitely charge when pushed. The flat tail shape allowed it so carve well on groomers, but it’s width kept up with the variable bumps and soft spots. I thought I was going to want it longer, but the 163 was perfect for me. It never wavered or felt too short. I could see this being fantastic in the trees being as nimble as it was out in the open. This is a ski that could easily make a one-ski-quiver, especially for those on the west-coast.

When I first read this the 90Eight wasn't even on my radar. Now after demoing the 2016 version I want this ski. There isn't a woman's version of the current model 90Eight so I have to decide which I want more, a better deal on this years version or if I want the pink badly enough to wait for next years...... Amazing ski, now that I've been on this ski I truly thank you for your review.

When I first read this the 90Eight wasn't even on my radar. Now after demoing the 2016 version I want this ski. There isn't a woman's version of the current model 90Eight so I have to decide which I want more, a better deal on this years version or if I want the pink badly enough to wait for next years...... Amazing ski, now that I've been on this ski I truly thank you for your review.

Paging @volklgirl. Do you know if there is any difference in the Volkl 90Eight between this year and next? There's also woman's version next year of which I love the top sheet. In looking at the 100Eight this year of which there's a mens and women's version it appears that the construction is the same and the difference is solely top sheet. Is this the case with the next year's 90Eight as well.

mustski

Angel Diva
Thanks for the review! I am dying to try Volkl Ones I got for Christmas, but I am just damn unlucky this season. I haven't seen more than 5" of fresh. Colorado isn't delivering, maybe Mammoth in April.

Same ski as the men´s 90Eight. That pink on the 2017 will mostly be hidden by the bindings. BTW.

Excellent point. Just looked at the photo and yup. Although I do like the purple on the tail as well but I will be able to get a better deal on this year's model. We shall see.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Excellent point. Just looked at the photo and yup. Although I do like the purple on the tail as well but I will be able to get a better deal on this year's model. We shall see.
Will these replace your Kenja's?

Will these replace your Kenja's?

I haven't decided yet. Likely not at this point. I am very attached to my kenjas.

I am thinking more to replace my Elysians. I know that's a very controversial statement since there's a lot of elysian love here. For me the 90eights have the same fun factor but have that tenacious Volkl Edge bite of which I am a huge fan.

Can I keep the elysian and still get the 90eight sure but not sure I need both.

Last edited:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the review! I am dying to try Volkl Ones I got for Christmas, but I am just damn unlucky this season. I haven't seen more than 5" of fresh. Colorado isn't delivering, maybe Mammoth in April.

Well, 5" of fresh is more than enough to get out on a powder ski, and it'd be an easy way to get a feel for them. Go for it!!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I haven't decided yet. Likely not at this point. I am very attached to my kenjas.

I am thinking more to replace my Elysians. I know that's a very controversial statement since there's a lot of elysian love here. For me the 90eights have the same fun factor but have that tenacious Volkl Edge bite of which I am a huge fan.

Can I keep the elysian and still get the 90eight sure but not sure I need both.
Well certainly don't keep them because others love them.. We are all different sizes and shapes . And prefer different skis that work for us. And ski different terrain and are at different levels. I think there is one other diva w the saffron 7. I like reading reviews but always keep the above mentioned in mind.

elemmac

Angel Diva

5 inches would be great on them, as long as it's not bulletproof underneath. If you get any more soft snow, definitely take them for a spin, even if it's only a couple runs. They're so much fun in soft spring snow too (which is what this demo was on), and I'm sure they'll be some days like that coming up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna