• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skis for an advanced skiier, but new ski team racer?

Mass Teacher Mom

Diva in Training
My daughter is a freshman in high school. She is a pretty advanced skier and we live out east. She is going to try the school ski team this year for the first time. Additionally, she is in need of new skis. She likes to ski fast groomers, but also ventures into bumps and glades.

Any recommendations? We are leaning towards a pair of all around that handle well on hard pack. Volkl Kenja is one we are considering, but not sure if that would work for both the racing and fun skiing. Thank you for any advice you might have.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does the school ski team have requirements as far as the skis they can use for racing? I'm likely less advanced than your daughter, but I had the Kenjas and did a racing clinic and I honestly wouldn't want to race on 87 waisted skis. I used jr. race skis for the clinic. If they don't have requirements, I'd at least try to go with something narrower and a little more carving oriented, although narrow carvers and another all-mountain ski would probably be ideal.

What has she been skiing?

Mass Teacher Mom

Diva in Training
The ski team is a no-cut sport, so they take everyone who skis. You make a good point about the waist for racing, and looking for something narrower. I just found a pair of Head Super Joy skis (168's) that might work. I know it would be best to have two pairs, but I don't think that makes sense right now since it's her first time racing. If she loves it, then maybe in future years a race-only pair.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
The Heads might be a nice choice for her. I'm far from an authority on the subject, but seems like a lightweight ski would work well. I'm not sure they get much lighter than the Joys.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@volklgirl might be the perfect person for this question. @Pequenita, too, I think. Any other former and current racers?

Depends on the discipline of racing she is pursuing, too, I think, especially the length, but she won't know that until she's been on the team a bit. My impression is that 75mm is a good compromise to start with, and something a little on the short side to be more versatile and not too hard on the joints?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd go with tighter waist ski for both GS & Slalom racing.. check with the team our local team has a swap meet (most Mt's do on E Coast) you may be able to pick up low cost skis. generally GS skis are longer and stiffer than recreational skis but...
MOST important to be on a ski one is comfortable skiing on (the stress of gates is enough to worry about) I'd go with the 168cm see if she likes racing and then you can spend $$$ on 'race' skis and if she has a chance demo, demo demo :-)
(I raced from 15yrs old thru college in the 70's I was on the boys/mens team many races) good luck & I hope she has Fun!!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
@Mass Teacher Mom For gates, definitely go narrower than 80. She'll need to make quick turns/quick adjustments, and get on edge easily.
Race courses can get very icy and rutted, so you want to make sure her skis can handle that steadily, so she doesn't lose confidence unnecessarily.

Dynastar's Elite Light ski (from 2015) is an excellent carving ski that holds on icy, rutted stuff. There's one on Ebay in a 165 for about $289.99 :-) I think it's 72 in the waist. It's going to be a bit damper than the Heads. There's also a 2014 version for $269.99 and a 2014 in a 171cm for $199.99. That's a STEAL for a SUPER-NICE ski!

Last edited:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd also ask the coach first. If he/she has no real requirements, I'd go with a carving oriented ski, 75 waist MAX (definitely NOT Kenja and the like, as they're not stiff enough to hold on a race course, and they take way to long to change edges). If you can pick up a short GS ski or a long SL ski at a swap, that would be the most effective. Cheap is fine, but I wouldn't skimp too much on type as a huge chunk of successful racing is having confidence in your equipment.

Just for an example:
I'm still racing NASTAR and beer league, and I'm usually on DH's 165 race stock SLs or my 168 Volkl 6 Stars. On the really big hills I do break out the 180 race stock GSs, but they're definitely not the right tool for NASTAR-type racing. My daily drivers are 168 Fisher Hybrids (85 waist) and 176 Volkl Kikus (106 waist).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga