• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing With Poles That Are Too Long??

B

B.E.G.

Umm... uh-oh. So after reading this thread I went and checked - my poles are 44" and I am 5'1". Are my poles too long?

I know how to pole plant but I rarely do because it seems like a PITA to swing my poles over when I can just ski without pole planting - I wonder if it's a pole length issue?

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Umm... uh-oh. So after reading this thread I went and checked - my poles are 44" and I am 5'1". Are my poles too long?

Were they cut down (without you knowing about it)? I got my poles so long ago (25 years???) at a place that I'm confident was not always carrying all sizes of everything, that I wouldn't know its length just by looking at the number on the pole.

I know how to pole plant but I rarely do because it seems like a PITA to swing my poles over when I can just ski without pole planting - I wonder if it's a pole length issue?

Possibly. But it could also be a function of where you are in the learning process. :smile:

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm 5'3" and am now using 110cm/44in poles. I started with 115cm/46in, which I didn't realize were too long until I asked for the 115s and that rental guy, who's my height, said he skis on the 110s. I felt the difference the first time I planted my pole and realized it worked a whole lot better.

The guy who gave me the 115s measured me in boots, the one who recommended 110s, who's much more of an advanced skier, measured me in street shoes. Either way, my pole plants are much more helpful now.

On the other hand, an expert or someone skiing steep black terrain or powder might need a longer pole, but on my steep blues the shorter ones were much, much better.

Not sure about the powder. When I tried to ski powder with 120cm poles I had to lift my hands up all the time, so much that my shoulders were aching more than anything else when the day was over. Still hoping to ski powder before the season is over with my shorter poles to see the difference. I would also think that if shorter poles are better on steep blues they will be better on steep blacks too.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm so happy to see all the responses on this thread. Just one of the many little things that make you go "hmmmmm...." I am anxious to get back out there with shorter poles (and hopefully lighter ones) to see how it impacts my skiing, if at all!:decision:

geargrrl

Angel Diva

{eh, don't know all the technical terminology...}
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think one of the points of pole plants is to help the rise-and-fall rhythm of your body as you move through the turn. The reach for the plant helps your body articulate and flex through the various joints.

I know for myself, when I started (what I thought was) exaggerating my pole plants by reaching forward more, my skiing improved dramatically within one run as it forced more articulation.

When I see people skiing along just holding their poles, they are skiing very stiffly. Now I don't know if this is you or not, but it's something to consider.

gg

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think one of the points of pole plants is to help the rise-and-fall rhythm of your body as you move through the turn. The reach for the plant helps your body articulate and flex through the various joints.

I know for myself, when I started (what I thought was) exaggerating my pole plants by reaching forward more, my skiing improved dramatically within one run as it forced more articulation.

When I see people skiing along just holding their poles, they are skiing very stiffly. Now I don't know if this is you or not, but it's something to consider.

gg

I know that definitely describes me! I have decided to work on "dancing" my way down the hill, and think about the rhythm and timing I use when I teach a step class or do a posting trot on my horse. It frustrates me to no end that someone with my abilities physically to do other activities is so challenged when it comes to skiing!

B

B.E.G.

Were they cut down (without you knowing about it)? I got my poles so long ago (25 years???) at a place that I'm confident was not always carrying all sizes of everything, that I wouldn't know its length just by looking at the number on the pole.

Possibly. But it could also be a function of where you are in the learning process. :smile:

Hmm...I don't think they cut them down. They brought out ones from the back and they didn't leave my sight from the time they brought them out and the time I paid for them. Plus it's a big box store and I'm not entirely sure they knew what they were doing (this is the store that sold me those boots that were way too big). And as to the latter - most likely true :P

B

B.E.G.

gg

I think you're right (my upper body tends to be fairly stiff) - I need to go take a video!

B

B.E.G.

Well I asked my ski shop when I went in to pick up my skis today and they said 44 should be fine. If I feel it's too long they can take them down a half inch at a time, but for now, I think I'll leave them be.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I think you're right (my upper body tends to be fairly stiff) - I need to go take a video!

It is actually the lower body I am talking about: the rise and fall as you flex and extend your lower body, articulating through the ankle, knee and hip as move through the turn. THIS is the part that skis "stiff" when you don't pole correctly.

B

B.E.G.

It is actually the lower body I am talking about: the rise and fall as you flex and extend your lower body, articulating through the ankle, knee and hip as move through the turn. THIS is the part that skis "stiff" when you don't pole correctly.

It's hard to tell - my lower body is pretty relaxed and good when I don't pole (according to my instructor anyway) and I flex and extend my body into and out of turns, but I feel like when I do pole then I almost feel like I'm forcing the turn, which is why I tend not to pole plant at all. I can't tell if what I'm doing is correct or not - I think it's something to address in my next lesson.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I just picked up a pair of 44" poles. Might get to try them out this weekend in the local L.A. mountains. We'll see. :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna