• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing With Poles That Are Too Long??

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, one of my biggest issues appears to be that I tend to want to hold my arms up and somewhat in front of me when I ski. I have done this for a LONG time. I kind of always thought it's because I grew up riding horses, english-style so with both arms held in front of me. But on our recent trip to Tahoe, I was looking at my ancient poles and realized they are the same length as my husband's. He is 6 feet tall, I am 5'5". We both have 48" poles. That got me thinking...:confused:

Do these sound WAY too long for me, and if so, how would that impact my skiing? I think it's time for some new poles. Any thoughts? Thanks!

socalskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm 5'2 and my poles are 42s. Long poles have literally tripped me. Usually right at the bottom in front of the lift line. Haha. I prefer my poles on the short side. I think 44s or maybe 46 but 48 is probably too long for you.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, the embarassing moments always occur in front of an audience!

I really do think they are too long. My husband kept telling me last week to relax my arms to my sides, but I couldn't because my poles would get in the way. I realize I still would have to lift them back some, but even with that, they would literally drag if I didn't lift my arms up. I'm guessing they're at least 2" too long. I think it's time to go hunt down a shorter pair.

I just watched some short, bad video clips he took of me. All I could see is it seemed like my poles were getting in the way, whether in front of or behind me. I might have him cut them down if it's not too hard to get the grips off.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you ever been measured for those poles? Usually it's done by flipping them so that the handle is on ground and then you hold your arm out to the pole, with your hand under the basket. The angle between your upper arm and lower arm should be about 90 degrees.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
if it's not too hard to get the grips off

I'm all ears for that explanation.

My poles are also too long ... well, they aren't really MY poles. My poles were much shorter. But someone apparently decided to swap their 50" poles for my 42" poles last year. (My poles were literally hanging on my skis on the rack. Couldn't really mistake them for their poles. :noidea:)

My 42" poles had seemed slightly short so I got SOME length cut off the 50" ones. But I need to chop off a couple more inches -- and plan to do that during the off-season when I redecorate them. I learned already that those grips don't just slide off.

[Yo, Volklgirl ... after seeing what you did to your bike, I bet you know how to do this. Want to meet us at Mammoth in April and hold a class in grip removal and reinstallation?]

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's usually a screw in the top of the grip that anchors an expanding plug inside the pole shaft. The screw may also hold the strap in. While removing the screw is a snap, getting the grips to finally come loose may require a vice and channel locks or even some light heat to break the bond (assuming they aren't also glued on).

The cutting complexity depends on the shaft material....aluminum is hollow and needs to be done with a pipe cutter (not a saw) so the shaft doesn't get crimped. Carbon and composites are a little trickier as sawing can cause them to splinter badly.

I haven't actually done the whole process yet, but hubby has. Rather than risk scratching or breaking the poles or trashing the grips, I'd just take them to a shop.

Jilly

Staff member
I have 148 cm composite poles cut to 140. So it can be done. But very carefully. I'm 5'4!

Too long poles will usually cause to be in the back seat!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you ever been measured for those poles? Usually it's done by flipping them so that the handle is on ground and then you hold your arm out to the pole, with your hand under the basket. The angle between your upper arm and lower arm should be about 90 degrees.

Yep, been measured and they seem fine with my boots on, but after poking around on Epic, I also saw a lot of posts about what Jilly says below (about pushing you into the backseat, which I am quite good at!)

I'm all ears for that explanation.

My poles are also too long ... well, they aren't really MY poles. My poles were much shorter. But someone apparently decided to swap their 50" poles for my 42" poles last year. (My poles were literally hanging on my skis on the rack. Couldn't really mistake them for their poles. :noidea:)

My 42" poles had seemed slightly short so I got SOME length cut off the 50" ones. But I need to chop off a couple more inches -- and plan to do that during the off-season when I redecorate them. I learned already that those grips don't just slide off.

[Yo, Volklgirl ... after seeing what you did to your bike, I bet you know how to do this. Want to meet us at Mammoth in April and hold a class in grip removal and reinstallation?]

someone snagged your poles? People amaze me. Gee, I guess you should be grateful they technically TRADED you, right??! :wink:

I have 148 cm composite poles cut to 140. So it can be done. But very carefully. I'm 5'4!

Too long poles will usually cause to be in the back seat!

That's what I'm seeing on Epic--and it seems to match up with some of my continuing issues in progressing in my skills.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A few years ago an instructor got me to take several cms off my poles and it hugely changed the way I skied (for the better). I think he would have advised using the 90 degree rule (holding pole upside down under the basket) then taking a bit more off, so your hand would be a bit lower than your elbow. Felt weird for a couple of seconds then natural.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
It was too late last night....geez, my poles are about 120, not 140!
Ha. I was gonna say....:noidea:
I chop a few cm off of 120 for mine, using relatively cheapo aluminum poles, to about 117-118. (ax 47") I'm 5'6".

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
lol.. I was thinking same thing.. no way Jilly's poles are 140.. my xc classic poles are 145cm & long and oh yes keep those hands/poles Down the hill in the steeps..

Jilly

Staff member
I woke up this morning and said to myself - wth! I could use that length for crutches!

I did get 148 composites that the shop cut down to 120 or so. Can't read Goode at all.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I woke up this morning and said to myself - wth! I could use that length for crutches!

I did get 148 composites that the shop cut down to 120 or so. Can't read Goode at all.

"ODE" - right? :laugh:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, one of my biggest issues appears to be that I tend to want to hold my arms up and somewhat in front of me when I ski. I have done this for a LONG time. I kind of always thought it's because I grew up riding horses, english-style so with both arms held in front of me. But on our recent trip to Tahoe, I was looking at my ancient poles and realized they are the same length as my husband's. He is 6 feet tall, I am 5'5". We both have 48" poles. That got me thinking...:confused:

Do these sound WAY too long for me, and if so, how would that impact my skiing? I think it's time for some new poles. Any thoughts? Thanks!
I'm 5'6" and have 46" poles.
I used to have 48's but they tended to put me in the back seat.
I know a place that can hook you up on some nice poles :smile:

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's usually a screw in the top of the grip that anchors an expanding plug inside the pole shaft. The screw may also hold the strap in. While removing the screw is a snap, getting the grips to finally come loose may require a vice and channel locks or even some light heat to break the bond (assuming they aren't also glued on).

Yep, that's what I thought and feared. When I saw the screw, I figured there was some kind of expanding thing inside -- screw came out but the grips would not budge with just manual twisting and pulling. I'm a bit of a DIY person and wanted to cut them down myself in increments until I find the right length for me. Which brings me to ...

I too have wondered about length. Specifically, whether that 90-degree angle should be when I'm in street clothes or in ski gear. I was measured in flat shoes and, when I started trying pole plants, felt my poles were too short - to the point that I felt hunched over, encouraged to squat. Longer poles have helped me get out of that position but a little too much. If I can't cut down my current poles to find my right length, I may get some when I demo skis at Steamboat and/or Mammoth.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm 5'6" and have 46" poles.
I used to have 48's but they tended to put me in the back seat.
I know a place that can hook you up on some nice poles :smile:

Do it! I need them! Working a Mammoth trip for early March :yahoo:
I don't need expensive, of course, just functional. My husband can have my pretty purple ones as back-ups :love:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I'm 5'5 and use 44s. I accidentally (long story) ended up with 46s for a while, and they just felt way too long. After skiing with those for a couple of years, I went back to 44s. I've actually thought about getting even shorter poles, but that would not be in line with common wisdom.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm 5'5 and use 44s. I accidentally (long story) ended up with 46s for a while, and they just felt way too long. After skiing with those for a couple of years, I went back to 44s. I've actually thought about getting even shorter poles, but that would not be in line with common wisdom.

It does really seem like it's not an exact measurement, but also a "feel", maybe?? Similar to when riding horses, there's a formula for where to set the stirrup length, but there are many variances to that, often determined by personal comfort and preference, riding style, etc. A newbie wouldn't know the difference at all, but me, I have my sweet spot! I can manage just fine with longer or shorter, but have a personal preference (I prefer them a tad short.) A newbie, however, would definitely be hampered by the wrong length.

I'm pondering between 44" and 46". I think a 44" might be better. 2" just doesn't seem like a significant enough difference. Any opinions on that??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly