• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing fast with testosterone fuelled men.

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know there's already been a thread about this, but I wanted to open a new one for the new season. (Already had 2 days ski testing in Zermatt!!). I realise re-reading this that it probably more of a rant, and I need you lovely ladies to sympathise and offer some sort of counselling!

Maybe it's because now I ski 100% of the time with teenage boys (14, 15 and 17) who have skiied since they were 6, and men (albeit middle aged) who tend to bomb down everything and take a reckless and sadistic pleasure in zooming past everyone, but I am getting very frustrated that, despite being technically competent, I am always last. (When I worked as a ski guide in France for a season I was always in the front!) I say that, despite the fact that when we were in the powder or bumps in Whistler this April, it was me who got to the bottom at or near the front!

I ski on Head Great Ones 159 which I bought this year and are far better than my old Burnin Luvs. (I am 5'5" and about 135lbs). While ski testing I tried the Salomon Equipe 24 hours 162's which were fab-really grippy on piste. Tempting if not for the fact that I need more all mountain skis than that.
Boots-Nordica Beast 10s are now 4 seasons old (with over 28 weeks' use), but ultra comfy and fitted by a true boot genius. Maybe I need to upgrade to firmer expert boots? However I don't want to rely on technology to get me faster-I feel it's mostly all in my head.

I can ski almost anything and know I am technically quite good-I complete my turns and I have a rhythm I feel comfortable with, but I do scrub off speed rather than letting the ski run, especially in more lumpy conditions. I am faster than most on piste, but more cautious about risks of hitting other skiers, or catching an edge and falling at speed. I am far less likely to nip through a group of slow coaches or ski school snaking down the mountain for fear of an unexpected swerve by a slow skier cutting me up. I broke my arm (on a jump!) 2 years ago, and have had the expected bumps and bruises of the occasional spectacular wipe out-so I know how much it hurts when I crash.:fear:

No matter what I do, I know that the chaps will continue to get faster (and more reckless in my opinion), and one tends to tease me about being slow (he's an arse, can't ski powder of bumps but it still bugs me!). I am a bit short of cash at the moment, but I have even been tempted to sneak off to France for a secret speed skiing course just to wipe the smirks of their faces!

Your sympathy and advice would be most gratefully received!

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Why do you want to be faster than "the boys"?

More recless skiing from "the boys" .... hmmmm
... who cares if you arrive last downhill but safe and sound?

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I agree with Missyd. Why do you want to be faster? Sounds like you're skiing at appropriate speeds when there are crowds around and that you're already kicking the guys' butts in the moguls and powder.

Thinking back to my younger days, I believe I got to be a good skier by trying to keep up with the guys; mind you, the guys I skied with then were all very good skiers. Now, when conditions permit (space to get a good carve going), I can keep up with most anybody I ski with, male or female (not racers, natch).

Jilly

Staff member
First remember your physics - F=M x A. Your mass (weight) will only allow you to go so fast. Also there is the muscle mass (legs and core) to hold you at that speed. Equipment can be a limiting factor, but I don't think this is your case.

And like the rest - why? If you can ski moguls and powder better, don't worry. Skiing fast on the groom stuff is easy, the rest is the tough stuff. I've always wanted to look better and ski fast.

Next to find some ladies that can rip just like you and get away from the testosterone fuel.

lucine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tip # 1

You pick the runs!

Tip # 2
repeat until they are tired, then let them pick one.

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks-the thing is-the boys and my other half are good technically, and I wish I could keep up when there is no-one else around to crash into. I think it's a confidence thing.

I say they are reckless, and sometimes they are, but often they are not-they just have that extra dollop of confidence to let the skis do the work. I neglected to mention that we also have 5'1" 100lb 17 year old girl with us who also whizzes past me-and the 14 and 15 year old boys are slightly built and shorter than me. (Our teenage girl has exams this year so is banished from the slopes in order to revise!). So I can't blame height, weight and ski length disadvantage. Skis are serviced and waxed regularly too.
I am sounding really competitive, and maybe I am, but I know there is something in me that holds me back above a certain speed and (without being reckless) I could go faster. I don't want to beat them, I just don't want to be the fuddy duddy bringing up the rear.

Ho Hum, for new year we have a female friend joining us (Hurrah!) and so maybe things will be a bit more evenly paced.

I think I need to find a good instructor and sneak off one to one.

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yup...That's why I love the Trois Vallees so much-as I know it like the back of my hand. I tell em where we are going and they don't moan much as they don't need to get out the piste map.
This season though, we have a chalet from next week until 12th April in Les Carroz, France, so it's a new area for us all to explore-265km of pistes. Some of it is a bit low, but we can nip out there fairly easily when it's snowy-we are 10 mins from the airport this end, and 50 mins from Geneva at the other end. And-the lift pass-get this you North Americans-is 420 euros for the whole season if you book before 15th December. How good is that!?? :smile:

Feeling better, if only cos I am probably the keenest to get the first lift and often the last one home when lesser mortals have given up for the day.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
First remember your physics - F=M x A. Your mass (weight) will only allow you to go so fast. Also there is the muscle mass (legs and core) to hold you at that speed. Equipment can be a limiting factor, but I don't think this is your case.

Yeah, seconding this. I can't keep up with dudes (or anyone) who's 30+ lbs heavier than me and trying to go fast no matter what I do. Which is fine with me, honestly. :smile:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are these people turning?

The only reasons I'm ever faster than anyone are 1) I'm doing swooping GS turns; 2) we're on hardpack, which is complimentary to the stiffness of my skis, and they're on soft skis; or 3) I've totally bitten it and am doing somersaults down the slope.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tip #3: wax

Tip #4: the opposite ... secretly scrub off the wax on the boys' skis.

No, it sounds like you are doing just fine. There is no need to go faster than you are comfortable with. My husband always skis faster than I do on piste, but I have always beaten him in gates. And I ski moguls faster. I don't know about powder, because I'm not paying attention to anyone else, then! :smile:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with the above....sounds like you're doing just fine.

That said, though, find a competent race coach and spend some time one-on-one. You may find that you're not fully carving your turns and are scrubbing speed when you don't need to. Also, have a really serious look at your skis. If you find they get a little "weird", "chattery", or "scary" at speed, this may be your problem.....it's time to upgrade to either longer, stiffer, or both.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
You probably don't want to hear this ( :smile: )but it IS about changing your mindset - don't worry about keeping up with them! Speed is something that is fun some of the time, but there is so much about skiing that I enjoy that I would miss if I was bombing down every run.

I so much more admire the skiers who confidently and gracefully ski all conditions. That sounds like you. The speed demons don't impress me.

It sounds like you're listening to your own body and there is something to be said for that! I feel like that is what I have done - knowing when to challenge myself and make my heart pound at the top of a run, and when to back off. I change my skiing when conditions are less than ideal or when it's crowded. And I'm happy to report that in 40 years of skiing I've never had an injury . . . . ok, ok, I sprained my thumb once about 10 years ago. But that's it.

Sounds like the thing really bugging you is that you feel like you are holding yourself back, but maybe you're using the wrong measuring stick when you compare yourself to how fast THEY are going.

If there is something you want to improve about your own technique - that's a challenge to yourself and that's great. But I would say do it because you've decided you enjoy the feeling of going faster, not because you want to keep up with the boys.

BTW . . . how fast ARE they going?! The one time I had a GPS on my helmet bombing down a blue groomer at Stowe (that's what it felt like to me anyway :D) , my max speed was 40 mph. And while there are plenty of folks who bomb past me, for the life of me, I can't imagine ever wanting to go faster than that! (as a non-racer)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Just a side comment - please God don't ever let me go 40 mph on my skis!
We really ought to start a thread on this and hear from people who have been clocked and what perception of speed they had. And what others think their average recreational speed is. Because....you'd be totally amazed at just how fast you are actually skiing. 40 is clipping along but certainly isn't kamikaze. Anyone ever been "clocked?" (besides me?)

mlle nessa

Diva in Training
I know where you're coming from! I love skiing with my bf even though he's Mr. Speedy McSpeederson out there. I don't find as big of a rush in racing down the hill as him. Also, I don't have nearly as many years of experience as he does either! He has a good 40 pounds on me, but he admits to not being the most technique obsessed skier on the hill despite his years of experience. I use my ski school lessons to my advantage and show him how it's done. It's a good feeling to zip by him and yell "Catch me!" :D

Overall, I have a good time skiing with him because although he has a different approach than I do to skiing, I always learn from him and we give each other some healthy competition!

Keep your chin up and stay confident in your skiing style!

Tahoe Betty

Diva in Training
many, many years ago, there used to be a speed skiing circut. The fastest i was clocked at was 79mph. I usually averaged in the hight 60s. Not the fastest ever..but up there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga