• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing Dictionary

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a skiing term you'd like defined?

Post it here. Or post any ski-related definition you think the community could benefit from learning.

Let's try to keep this on topic as much as possible so it doesn't get too convoluted; any comments, other than definitions, please take to another thread.

DIN: an international scale that assures that ski bindings worldwide release under the same force. Determined by height, weight, skill level, and boot length and type.

Reactions: RJ*

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Death cookies - probably encountered mainly in the East.
These are hard balls of ice left by the groomers. Very unpleasant.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Damp: Skis that lessen the vibration caused by movement over the snow are considered damp. These skis are calm and muted under foot.

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, I'm wondering about the definition of "slackcountry". I guess it's probably a variation off "backcountry", but would like the scoop!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Underfoot: The dimension of a ski's waist, where it's under your foot.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Death cookies must be similar to our chicken heads but smaller (large icy chunks left behind by the groomer)

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
cat track? ? ?

Jilly

Staff member
Cat track - a narrow flat trail that is made by the snow cats. Usually a roadway in the summer for logging activites or mountain biking.

Cat trac - an appliance that is added to the toe and heel of ski boots. The plastic "feet" protect the bottom on the boots and can add traction. (I'll go a pic in minute)

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Slackcountry

I got the real definition this weekend. It's out of bounds terrain accessed via a lift, ie not real earn your turns back country.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

mtnbikerskierchick

Certified Ski Diva
Face shots - the snow on my face in my avatar is from a face shot; powder so deep and light it hits you in the face when you ski it.

Jilly

Staff member
Boilerplate - very hard icy conditions. Can be white or even blue ice! Usually you CAN NOT get an edge set on it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga