• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing after hysterectomy

lv2ski

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Skidivas,
Just wondering if there are any other 'hystersisters' out there. I just recently had a hysterectomy (TVH), and my GYN really does not want me to ski until the spring :nono:.....I am hoping that means early February :wink: Anyhow, anyone have an experience to share if you had this surgery, like how long after you skied and how it went. At this point from not being very active for weeks, it will take me a while to get up my strength and pre-condition anyhow.
Also, if anyone is contemplating, or has had a hyst, the website/forum hystersisters.com is great with tons of info.
Thanks

I had a laparascopic hysterectomy in early April of this year and was fully recovered by July. Not sure what a TVH is -- was your surgery not laparascopic and therefore requires longer recovery?

After a couple of months, I did gentle PT to get my abs in gear. It really helped. Then I went back to the gym, gently at first.

Best of luck!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Given what I think you mean by TVH, I'm there -- been there, done that. Mid-November, (though many years ago) skied by Christmas, no issues. Felt better than I had in years.

Great doctor, though - same one who gave his blessing for me to ski 5 weeks post-partum! :love: Also no problems (beyond "filling up," ha! :laugh:)

Also took a ski trip to UT that season, mid-late March, again no problems, though I wasn't altogether in the best shape that season. Just took it a bit easier. Still had a blast.

Wishing you the same good fortune and speedy recovery!
I never looked back!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
December 11, 2002 I had a full abdominal hysterectomy with a hip to hip scar. I was in fairly good health prior to the surgery, other than the tumors, and did some at home PT to try and maintain muscle mass.
My personal PT:
I stood tall, breathed deep and walked aimlessly around the house for 20 minute intervals 3-4 times a day.
When I went for my 4 week check up my OBGYN told me to have fun and go skiing, but take it easy.
At 5 weeks I was skiing like the dumb woman I am.
I will admit that I got tired easier for the first few weeks, but I was out there.

I don't know your personal situation, but my first reaction was, "Wow, you need a different doc!"

But again, I don't know your situation.
Take care of yourself and get back out there as soon as you can.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pinto, it true :dance:

I'd like to add, after the surgery, even during recovery, I had more energy than I had in several months prior. Sometimes you don't know you're sick until you're truly well again.

lv2ski

Certified Ski Diva
Wow, thanks for your replies. According to my doc (yes, she is very thorough and conservative) it takes 6 mos. to a year for the fascia and all the healing to be 100%. If you over do it too soon could cause adhesions, hernias or bladder issues with incontinence. I have my 6 week check soon and will talk more in depth about it. I did not have an abd. incision, but there are still stitches inside. I am glad to hear you all got on your skis so soon though. If I can ski in Feb. and March I will be happy, as long as we don't get tons of snow before then. In that case I will be miserable. She told me this after I had booked the surgery, but I did not want it to interfere with golf either, that is why I picked the fall. :[Right now my energy is quite low from being anemic, but should improve in time.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Bigger issue for me was full metabolism and ridding my system of the general anesthesia than any other physical aspect. So I found that I tired more easily than anything else.

But will also agree with SnowHot that I felt better, and right away, than I had in a very long time. I didn't ski truly hard until March. It was just --- totally fine.

Good luck!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MSL is correct about the anesthesia. I drank tons of water.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
And I walked walked walked. Including pacing the hospital halls (couldn't sleep) 2nd night, waiting for 9 a.m. release! Totally helped clear that...stuff...out of my system. Hardest part of the whole deal for me.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And I walked walked walked. Including pacing the hospital halls (couldn't sleep) 2nd night, waiting for 9 a.m. release! Totally helped clear that...stuff...out of my system. Hardest part of the whole deal for me.
My personal PT:
I stood tall, breathed deep and walked aimlessly around the house for 20 minute intervals 3-4 times a day.

Yup, walk as much as you can, and engage your core while you do it. It will make a huge difference in your recovery time and you'll be back out there sooner than you think.

bklyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A good friend of mine had one, she's also a ski buddy.
She felt so much better after surgery that we spent most of our time trying to slow her down. Her health improved tremendously after the procedure.

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Had mine Sept 07...vertical incision nearly up to navel (some monster fibroids to remove)...I was skiing by mid December. Felt pretty darn good 2 weeks after surgery, but tired more easily for close to 2 months. My doctor said all along to do what I felt able to and I think mentally it was good advice for me. My concern the first time I skied was that my core would be weak (vertical incision cuts a bunch of muscles) and that I might notice it in my balance or stamina. I'd say neither were effected, that first day and the rest of the season were terrific.

lv2ski

Certified Ski Diva
Awesome, you gals are giving me hope :ski2: As long as some complete knuckle head doesn't slam into me I think I will be fine. I know, accidents :yardsale: happen, but there are really some yahoos on the slopes that are just careless jerks.
I am going to get started back working out, gradually though, soon...and of course back to work to make some $!
Thanks for boosting my mood today!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
IMO, and realizing that I'm not a doctor, you're at a higher risk if you wait too long to get back to normal activity.

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had back surgery in September 05, followed by a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy (hip to hip incision) in November and I was back skiing by January. I did tire more easily than before either surgery, and it took almost a full year to get my fitness level back to where it was, but I'm sure that was because I was so limited prior to the back surgery, not the hysterectomy.

Having that hysterectomy was one of the greatest things I've ever done! I get funny looks when I say that sometimes, but having the pain from fibroids go away, plus the bonus of no periods was worth it!

lv2ski

Certified Ski Diva
Oh, I do plan to get active, working out ASAP to get in shape and ready for skiing.
Snowflower, I hope soon I can say doing this was the best thing......we shall see. I also had fibroids and an enlarged uterus. It will be soooooo nice not to have to go inside, tromp downstairs (since the bathrooms are usually down), b/c of monthly issues:thumbsup:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Just realized, after participating in this thread, that today, 2nd Thurs in November, is H-Day anniversary for me! :smile: Really and truly was "the first day of the rest of my life." After many less than wonderful years w/issues. Without going into major and unnecessary detail, I'll just say that it was miraculous and incredible that I was able to have a child at all. Wow, pulled that one off :D

But, many years post-H, am feeling just terrific!
:yahoo:

I also had fibroids and an enlarged uterus. It will be soooooo nice not to have to go inside, tromp downstairs (since the bathrooms are usually down), b/c of monthly issues:thumbsup:

Oy vay, can I relate. I had fibroids, including one grapefruit sized fibroid that grew my uterus to a 20-22 week pregnancy size by last Fall. I had a Mirena IUD which kept the bleeding under control, thank God, but I had all other symptoms. I spent all last season skiing with that presence, and in addition to balance problems, I had bladder issues too and I had to table my plans for freestyle lessons 'cause I didn't want to redefine the term "wet landing." :bag:

During the last 2 months of the season, I had to receive Lupron shots to shrink the fibroid in preparation for surgery. Rapid onset menopause, exhaustion, depression, and other unpleasant side effects. The Lupron shrunk (and "killed" the fibroid) which began to decompensate prior to surgery. I'll stop there. It was . . . yuck!

You are going to feel soooo much better as you heal. Get a good PT and you will be amazed at how steadily you will recover. And no more periods~ That's the reward.

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
...I had fibroids, including one grapefruit sized fibroid ...

Isn't it funny how all the doctors use fruit references for fibroid sizes. I was told I had a cantaloupe, grapefruit and several oranges. I kept thinking do I have fibroids or is it a fruit salad in my uterus?! :wink:

LV2SKI - As others have said, keep moving during your recovery. It doesn't have to be a big effort or formal exercise, just move around. I started with frequent small walks around my neighborhood -- helped with the boredom too. In no time, I was ready to do more. Also, don't fight it when your body says to take a nap. It's all part of the healing process.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga