• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

skidding as well as carving

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
QTF

[Rant]
"Good skiing" is having a full range of techniques and being able to adapt those techniques to the current situation and conditions.

I couldn't agree more. I don't agree, though, that there is ever a situation where parking and riding is useful, practical, or as fun as working the ski through the turn. Just my opinion.

altagirl said:
I also disagree that smearing/buttering a turn involves pushing the skis out from under you - it feels like releasing the edge, not pushing?

maybe you don't feel like you are actively pushing, but the result is that the skis move out from underneath the centre of mass, whether you are pushing or just releasing the edges and letting them drift. this is not conducive to good balance and puts you in a weak position from which to start the new turn. as for releasing the edge, you have to do that to move to the new turn no matter what is you are carving, steering or skidding.

volklgirl said:
I find the whole "cookie cutter" skiing image rampant in all the schools of thought (PSIA, CSIA, PMT, etc...) to be just a lot of bunk. Use whatever works whether it's "correct" or not!!!

It's true some ski instructors become obsessed and robotic looking, I am not advocating that. It's not about image, it's about performance. Use the tools that are practical given the situation. But use good tools!

Of course, when it's super steep, you want to ski slower or you get into trouble, use more pivot and less edge, that goes without saying! but do it in a way that you stay strong and set yourself up for a good next turn too. And I don't care whether it's "correct" or not, it just results in better skiing.

C

CMCM

I adore Lito and his videos. I have his two Breakthrough on Skis videos, and I've watched them a gazillion times, I think. Every time I watch, something new sinks in, and then when I'm skiing things come to mind that I've absorbed from his videos. I have learned an amazing amount from him, from the videos.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I adore Lito and his videos. I have his two Breakthrough on Skis videos, and I've watched them a gazillion times, I think. Every time I watch, something new sinks in, and then when I'm skiing things come to mind that I've absorbed from his videos. I have learned an amazing amount from him, from the videos.

I couldn't agree more. I love everything about Lito's videos, from the instruction to the videography to the scenery to the music to his overall approach to skiing. I also watch them frequently and it's true you really do pick up more details on subsequent viewings. He actually has 3 videos - the original Breakthrough on Skis, the update of that video for shaped ski technique and the Bumps and Powder video. Have you checked out that last one? Helped my bump skiing tremendously! :smile: (though I'm still progressing slowly on a long learning curve in the bumps)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga