• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski season off to rough start...

skithesierras

Angel Diva
Just wanted to post good thoughts for tinymoose and vickie - hope you two (and everyone else starting off with injuries) heal quickly and in time for the rest of the season.

Yes, those of us who are wallflowers are probably lucky, but at the same time we're not getting any ski-time at all!

Think snow - and softer landings for all of us!

SkiQT

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tinymoose I know what you mean about the snowboarders at Blue...someone was asking on their FB page if they should drive up to Blue tomorrow--DH and I were joking that we should reply if you are a boarder it is best to wait until April...:wink:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I got taken out by a fast-moving skier, almost/seemingly deliberately, today. My husband and son saw it happen and were aghast. (my son was beyond that - he was livid) I was standing at very edge of a run, completely out in the open. This was a "planned attack." No, it was not at my home mountain.

I am sore and disgusted and almost did a "diva-east-apres-ski" afterward. (not quite that bad, ride_ski and Skisailor > :wink:)
My day was OVER.
:mad2:

My son, the ever-so-slow-moving :becky: snowboarder, caught up to guy, asked him what he had against me (as he'd stopped just afterward with his group to "chuckle" about this). The guy responded with 2 words, first one starts with F, second with Y.

Ah, life....:rolleyes:
I'm okay. A little beat up.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, conditions were actually pretty good at Snowbasin today, but I got overconfident, didn't think through what I was doing and crossed my tips at the top of Sweet Revenge (pretty much the top of the mountain). Bonehead, early-season move for sure. :doh: I went flying as did my gear. Snow in my goggles and God knows where else, lol. Skidded down a good 20 feet on my face after landing HARD on my bad shoulder.

Once I stopped, I breathed deep to make sure I hadn't done any rib damage. Within 2 seconds of me sitting up, the entire group of snowboarders who were just behind me at the top surrounded me, two of them holding my skis. "OMG are you okay?? That looked awful!" They sat in a circle around me to make sure I was ok (they made me do arm circles) and could get up and safely on my way. I was so grateful they were there and must have said thank you a dozen times. I was able to ski down the hill - slowly! - without further incident, though when you wipe out like that it sure sucks all your strength out. I went over to Patrol to make sure all was well, then banished myself to the bunny hill to spend the rest of the afternoon concentrating on edges, linked turns, body position - all the basics. I'm sore tonight, but we have a jacuzzi at the condo as well as wine and muscle relaxants.

I figure if I have to have a major wipeout, better to do it now and without injury. And I was SO IMPRESSED by that group of boarders - they upended the stereotype to be sure. :clap:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Was so grateful they were there and must have said thank you a dozen times...I figure if I have to have a major wipeout, better to do it now and without injury. And I was SO IMPRESSED by that group of boarders - they upended the stereotype to be sure. :clap:
:( SO sorry to hear this, gardenmary! Feel better soon! But THANK YOU for countering the oft-mentioned negativity. For the better part of one season, I hung out with a group of riders, most of whom were jump-training, and I acted as jump spotter - and I got to see the negativity first-hand, from the other perspective, the receiving end - also how jump landings would get deliberately poached in an effort to injure them. (wish I was kidding)
And how's the other guy, after your son was done with him?:injured:
:laugh: My son, at 200# and a serious heavy-weight lifter, gets by with words and facial expressions. Ski patrol saw the "conflict" and intervened.

I'm okay, just sore and mad.
More worried about my friend vickie!! v, how are you!??

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MSL -- So sorry to hear about your incident. This reminds me of (was it?) SwampDog who warned us last year of these intentional attacks. Sad when we can't peacefully coexist on the hill.

As for me, one exam, one set of x-rays, and one MRI later ...

I have a proximal tibia fracture.

This didn't show up in the x-rays, so I'm hoping it's on the low end of the severity scale. After the first day or so, there's been no pain to speak of. I've worn a hinged compression brace (thanks to skibum4ever!) and been able to walk okay.

I just got the results about an hour ago. Everything had pointed to ACL tear. I now know that putting weight on that leg could be the worst thing for it, so I'm basically couch-bound until BF delivers crutches later today. I'm starting a separate thread under Health so I don't completely hijack this one --
Vickie's PTF

And BF's nose is doing well. He's sporting a lovely shade of yellow for the holidays.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
MSL -- So sorry to hear about your incident. This reminds me of (was it?) SwampDog who warned us last year of these intentional attacks. Sad when we can't peacefully coexist on the hill.

As for me, one exam, one set of x-rays, and one MRI later ...

I have a proximal tibia fracture.

[/URL]

And BF's nose is doing well. He's sporting a lovely shade of yellow for the holidays.

:(:Cry:
Oh no, v! I'm SO sorry to read this!!

Mine's nothing by comparison. Just some colors (not yellow > yet). Hey, PLEASE follow doc's orders on this. This WILL heal. If not on x-ray, probably (hopefully!) a good sign of not huge--but you surely do not want it to go "spiral" on you!!

Please feel better soon!

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry to hear about all these injuries and other unfortunate incidents. It's especially awful to hear about intentional collisions like MSL's--what on earth is the matter with some people!??

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last year, DH was hit from behind by an out of control skier. Both meniscus were damaged from the impact.

I got on my cell phone and called for Ski Patrol while keeping her in sight. She wanted to ski off, but I told her that if she left, I would dog her until I found a ski patrol and report her.

I took her photo with my cell phone, as well, just because.

We have the technology to get these people off the mountain, let's do it!

Accidents happen, but this deliberate, malicious, careless behavior needs to be addressed by the resort.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At least I was hit on the last run of the day... although to be honest, I was hit hard enough that it probably would have been the last run of the day even if it was early in the morning!:eek:

We have a family joke (maybe " family saying" puts it better) that you "ALWAYS get hurt on the 'last run' of the day", referring, of course to the fact that any run on which you get a significant injury is the last run! Many times, it has kept us from taking that "last run" when we're tired and hungry, and who knows how many disasters we've avoided? :injured:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All these accidents and injuries! (OK, MSL's clearly no accident, just plain a disgusting display of humanity!) But what gives? Seems a lot more this year than prior. Is it the lack of snow? The lack of snow creating bad attitudes? The lack of snow pushing everyone onto the same runs? Probably all of the above.

Heal well, all of you!! This is seriously scaring me! I've always been supremely cautious and ALWAYS looking above and behind me (almost to a fault) but I guess you really can never be too cautious! I'm supposed to hit the local SoCal mountains this Tuesday and am going to have my head on a swivel! Bringing some friends who have not skied in ages and will be like mother hen to them, I think. Thankfully the place we are going is a family-oriented place that usually doesn't get super crowded.

Again, sorry for all of you who are getting injured. Sending healing vibes your way!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Accidents happen, but this deliberate, malicious, careless behavior needs to be addressed by the resort.
And my son, who dogged the perpetrator, was just about to get in trouble with ski patrol for confronting the A((hat. :rolleyes:

This wasn't even "let's overtake the old lady" -- I was standing STILL, for gosh sakes, unmoving. "Let's terrorize?" He mistook some ice for an edge-able spot, coming at me directly at a ridiculous rate of speed. Wham.

I was not at my home mountain. I was "elsewhere." WHEN will I EVER learn?? :rolleyes: Have now. I will go hug my mountain when I next go there to ski. This kind of B-S is so much rarer there. The weekend prior, "that other resort" had about $15k worth of ski thefts happen.

I gotta stay "home!"

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Have a great time, contesstant, and let us know how it is. We will be in Palmdale for Christmas - I hear they have only a little less natural snow than Mammoth! :eek:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have a great time, contesstant, and let us know how it is. We will be in Palmdale for Christmas - I hear they have only a little less natural snow than Mammoth! :eek:

Thanks, skibum!! We are meeting mustski hopefully--another Diva to ski with at Mammoth when the snow does finally arrive! :D

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:( SO sorry to hear this, gardenmary! Feel better soon! But THANK YOU for countering the oft-mentioned negativity. For the better part of one season, I hung out with a group of riders, most of whom were jump-training, and I acted as jump spotter - and I got to see the negativity first-hand, from the other perspective, the receiving end - also how jump landings would get deliberately poached in an effort to injure them. (wish I was kidding)

Thanks MSL! I skied from 11-4 today - mainly on the bunny slopes, working over and over on all the basics. After lunch DS and I went halfway up the mountain and that was great - really started getting my confidence back. I figured it was better to work carefully and steadily rather than sit immobile all day - don't want everything to seize up.

And I was so glad to see such considerate boarders. We've trained our son to stop whenever he sees someone down who's not moving (he's an Eagle Scout) but it's always heartening to see that other parents have done the same.

It's awful to think that people would deliberately try to hurt others. I just can't get my head around that.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
omg MSL.. hope you are healed up! can't believe what a jerk.. lack of control all the way around..we do hope to ski with you this winter,do get better and hope you don't meet any other jerks this winter!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Hey, nopole! Hi, and thanks. :smile: Major right hip bruise (and I don't easily bruise), very sore right arm/deltoid, pulled out left calf muscle (which concerns me the most where skiing is concerned) --- but functional. Got my mojo back for a short time of skiing yesterday back "home." Back to gentility and manners, it restored my faith in "skier-kind." :clap:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna