• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski season off to rough start...

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So sorry to hear this. I had the same thing happen to me. When you get a chance, I highly recommend you visit a chiropractor to have an exam and particularly check out your SI joint. If this gets out of line (as it did for me) it can become chronic and a real pain!

Funny you should mention the SI joint. Mine went out on me Sunday morning. I skied the end of the season last year with it out of alignment so I decided not to wait to see if it would get better before I saw someone. Luckily for me there is a physical therapy place very conveniently located at Copper Mtn so I was able to ski a few runs then get my SI joint worked on. The female therapist knew all about SI joint problems and was very helpful.

Unfortunately, many in the professional community aren't trained to look at the SI joint so if you plan to get it checked out make sure you're seeing someone with SI joint training. I spent an entire ski season in pain because the professionals I was working with didn't pay enough attention to my symptoms and my misaligned SI joint went unnoticed.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a divot/scar on my chin from when a very large skier flew out of nowhere and launched me about 10 feet. He never saw me and I had on a quite noticeable jacket. It is not a huge scar, but every time I look in the mirror, I see it. I am at the age where every year, things like this look a little more noticeable. :mad: I have been taken out more than once by boarders as well.

I think the resorts need to be more proactive, especially with the snow-boarder crowd. 90% of them are wonderful people and great snow riders. Another 5% are nice enough, but they just don't know mountain etiquette and no body has bothered to teach them. It is as if they don't get it in classes (or, if taught by a buddy, no one clues them in.)

The skiers code needs to be updated to address issues such as, "Snowboarders should be aware of where they sit to fasten their bindings and sit no more than two abreast so that other riders can get by them." And...."Riders (skiers and snowboarders) should not stand blocking the lift lines while looking for their buddies." I've seen some nasty tangles at the lift lines - sort of like a large car pile up because boarders have blocked several of the lines at once. If you've ever watched helplessly as someone came in hot on you in the line, been hit, pushed into several others and fallen to a crumpled mess of skis and awkwardly bent knees, you know what I mean.

The resorts are so concerned about potential boycotts by boarders that they let them get by with just about anything. I've had boarders smoking in line in front of me, refuse to put out the cigarette (and not just cigarettes) and get up in my face nasty when I've asked nicely (and then not so nicely) for them to be considerate of others. (The girls have been the worst offenders.) Lifties sit there and watch, saying nothing.

This is lack of training/appropriate expectations on the part of the resorts. They need to train their crews to address bad actors and pull them out of line, crack down and pull a few passes. Interesting, they are right on top of training their staff to look for pass cheaters. *That* is important to them. Cutting down on dangerous and rude behaviors - not so much, I guess.

There are many things they could do that would be "gentle reminders." They could, for example, put a sign up at the top of the lifts reminding boarders not to make long, impassible barriers while they do up their bindings. Or, they could mark an area back from the lift exit, but behind the slope entry, as the area for fastening bindings.

I know that patrol is not always around but my resolution for this year is to report every incident with an out of control skier or boarder to patrol as soon as I can with as full a description as I can muster. I'm going to be a right B1tch about it.

I almost got creamed last week at Vail by a straight lining skier. On crowded runs I have learned to look uphill which is what I did and was able to avoid him. I avoid skiing during holidays especially at Vail resorts although Keystone seems to be cracking down (last year a 60+ friend of ours got stopped for skiing too fast). It's illegal in Colorado to leave the scene of the accident although many do.

I get really irritated too by the cigarette smoking on the lifts mainly because I'm asthmatic and just a wiff of smoke will send me into bronchial spasms. All ski areas in Summit and Eagle counties ban smoking in the lift lines and on the lifts. There is a $75 fine if caught and the ski areas are patrolled by authorities (the communities need money). If I can breath and talk instead of complaining about the smoke I now just give the smokers a PSA announcement about the fine and usually they thank me.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
Funny you should mention the SI joint. Mine went out on me Sunday morning. I skied the end of the season last year with it out of alignment so I decided not to wait to see if it would get better before I saw someone. Luckily for me there is a physical therapy place very conveniently located at Copper Mtn so I was able to ski a few runs then get my SI joint worked on. The female therapist knew all about SI joint problems and was very helpful.

Unfortunately, many in the professional community aren't trained to look at the SI joint so if you plan to get it checked out make sure you're seeing someone with SI joint training. I spent an entire ski season in pain because the professionals I was working with didn't pay enough attention to my symptoms and my misaligned SI joint went unnoticed.

Yup, the SI joints are kind of the crucial link between the legs and the spine. I adjust them when warranted in almost all my patients.

oneagles'wings

Certified Ski Diva
I can't stand it, I just have to chime in! I don't want to just bash snowboarders here, probably the worst impact I ever had was by a huge skiier (he looked like a linebacker!) who was just coming down the mountain by sheer gravity. But my son and I ski on small mountains (Gatlinburg & NC) and between the snowboarders sitting across the top of the hill (I'm convinced they sit more than they ride), and getting in the lift line but then not moving because they are waiting for their friends, they drive me crazy! The lifties never say anything about smoking on the lift nor do they say anything when someone is obviously highly intoxicated. We just mind our own business and stay very aware of our surroundings. A common occurance between us is to get on the lift and say "watch out for the guy a few chairs behind, red hat, blue jacket, smells to high heaven of alcohol" or "he is an out of control skier/snowboarder, look out". We rarely say anything directly to a person because you never know when someone may have "snow rage". On a happier, less critical note, we always have fun, but sometimes I do dream of Alta :drool:

josiegroper

Certified Ski Diva
Sorry this happened to you, and I am surprised how many of you have had collisions with snowboarders!:fear:

I had an out of control skier take me out a few years ago and broke the right shoulder and left hand. It certainly was no fun and I lost 6 weeks at the end of the season too :mad:

Hope you are okay soon!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
tinymoose, I empathize with you!

BF and I went to Colorado for the weekend. Saturday, we skied at Keystone ... BF was out on one of the few black diamonds open, caught a ski on something, face planted, and fractured his nose.

Monday, we skied at Vail. We were on a blue run ... the one steeper section had vertical ridges of snow, separated by scraped sections -- looked like corduroy with 1-to-2-foot-wide wales. As best I can figure, I initiated a turn on the scraped (not ice) stuff, hit the ridge of snow, probably balked and pulled my weight back, and fell down the hill. Felt a pop in the outside of my right knee and slid down the hill, screaming in pain. Tomorrow, I go to Ortho and Sports Medicine.

Yeah, our season started off a bit rough too.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Crap! With all of these stories I'm maybe glad we haven't even gotten the equipment out of the basement yet.

Good luck at the doctor everyone.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yup, the SI joints are kind of the crucial link between the legs and the spine. I adjust them when warranted in almost all my patients.

Skied today and ended up with a very sore spot on my left backside. Went to PT after skiing and therapist said my hip is rotated forward and down. SIJ adjustment, massage, ice and ultra sound calmed the angry muscles and almost put me to sleep. I'm learning alot about managing this issue from this therapist.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
tinymoose, I empathize with you!

BF and I went to Colorado for the weekend. Saturday, we skied at Keystone ... BF was out on one of the few black diamonds open, caught a ski on something, face planted, and fractured his nose.

Monday, we skied at Vail. We were on a blue run ... the one steeper section had vertical ridges of snow, separated by scraped sections -- looked like corduroy with 1-to-2-foot-wide wales. As best I can figure, I initiated a turn on the scraped (not ice) stuff, hit the ridge of snow, probably balked and pulled my weight back, and fell down the hill. Felt a pop in the outside of my right knee and slid down the hill, screaming in pain. Tomorrow, I go to Ortho and Sports Medicine.

Yeah, our season started off a bit rough too.

Oh no, v!! :eek: I'm so sorry to read this!
Healing wishes to M, and please let us know how you are!! :hug:

Jenny, I'm with you. So not interested at the moment in dealing with the outdoors, even skiing. Do this long enough/for enough consecutive years, and it's inevitable: some years start way slow, some years are just never that great. Life goes on....<sigh>

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I can't help thinking that several of these injuries might not have happened if the conditions had been better. Those Divas who have not yet skied may be the wiser among us. :chillpill:

Hopefully all these injuries will heal quickly and will let you get back to skiing by the time the skiing gets good. :goodluck:

Hugs to all who have had a rough start to their season. :grouphug:

Be careful out there, and THINK SNOW!!! :snow:

And please keep us posted about your progress . . . :attention:

eSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A skier did the same to DS this weekend. I almost went mother lion on the girl. But she started crying and DS was fine so she survived to crash another day.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Early season boarders--maybe they're more dangerous than rusty skiers because they can stay upright longer. The speedster skiers aren't out on the slopes yet because man-made snow's not good enough for them, so it's been safe at Alta, where the lines have been short, the chairs half filled at most, and the boarders are a very, very, very distant memory.

Speaking of which--I remember reading how that came to be, but I can't remember where. Does anyone know the history? (I tried Googling it but am having dsl issues at home)

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Early season boarders--maybe they're more dangerous than rusty skiers because they can stay upright longer. The speedster skiers aren't out on the slopes yet because man-made snow's not good enough for them, so it's been safe at Alta, where the lines have been short, the chairs half filled at most, and the boarders are a very, very, very distant memory.

Speaking of which--I remember reading how that came to be, but I can't remember where. Does anyone know the history? (I tried Googling it but am having dsl issues at home)

Speedster skiers are here. Yesterday at Copper I witnessed a kid about 15 flying down the run (I happened to look uphill as I was watching out for these yahoos). There is a road that crosses the run, he hit the lip, caught air and flew into the air landing about 30 ft below me. He landed on his back, didn't move, didn't say anything. I picked up his pole while yelling asking if he was ok, no response. I was really worried that he was unconscious, or worse. Finally he moaned a response but didn't move. When his group showed up he pointed to pain in his lower back. Ski patrol was called, I hope he's ok.

Heard Keystone has been very crowded and Flight for Life was very busy there on Sat.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skied today and ended up with a very sore spot on my left backside. Went to PT after skiing and therapist said my hip is rotated forward and down. SIJ adjustment, massage, ice and ultra sound calmed the angry muscles and almost put me to sleep. I'm learning alot about managing this issue from this therapist.

I meant electrical stimulation, not ultra sound.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry to hear about these mishaps and hope everyone is well and able to ski soon. I can really appreciate these observations about early season behavior in general and boarders in particular.

On January 6, the first year we lived out here, a boarder came streaking out of the trees and wiped me out: all I remember is a blur of black and the yellow underside of his board! He knocked me out cold - in a helmet - and sprained my ankle in my boot. It was ten below and the toboggan ride down the mountain was miserable. Did he stop? Yes: about 100 feet away, saw I was down, and fled!

I was very forgiving about it all (possibly because everyone else was so angry on my behalf) until 8 months later when I lost the use of my left arm and had to have a five level cervical fusion! Not only am I now pretty nervous about anyone coming up behind me, but I can't turn my head freely to look. I just turn around on "dry land" but that could spell disaster on skis! Not only that, but the whole thing cost me an entire season off the slopes.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All of this is making me reevaluate skiing this weekend. I really want to get out, have a project that's due tomorrow afternoon, and I would usually have asked for a one-business-day extension so I wouldn't have to get frantic and then been able to at least get my boots looked at tomorrow and maybe get a few hours of skiing in, but my boss is "helping" and he probably won't decide to ask for an extension until about 4:30 tomorrow afternoon, so no boot fix or skiing until Chrismas Eve. :(

OK, that's enough about my life, but the conversation suggests that I should maybe think twice about skiing this weekend. Maybe Sunday afternoon...but vacationers won't be going home to get ready for work on Sunday afternoon, so maybe not. And the rest of next week is all vacationers, all the time, and work is always weird the week between Christmas and New Year. Grumpy...but my boss is a really, really nice guy, so I'm trying not to take it out on him. It's just that it would have been better to have a clerk help, because support staff are always better than lawyers at keeping our papers organized. :rolleyes:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh vickie, I'm sorry to hear about your knee! I hope you're feeling better soon! Keep us posted on how your appt. goes!

Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone. I've been feeling much better over the last couple days, and other than some bruise, and mild soreness at this point, I'm actually feeling much better, much faster than I thought I would! Might even try hitting the slopes again next week if I'm feeling up to it.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe we should all refrain from using this phrase, since so many of us have taken it too literally!

Hmmmm.... good point, Jenny. lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna