• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski boot conundrum—how much work can a boot fitter do to make it work?

The Happy Skier

Diva in Training
Hello Divas!

Apologies in advance for the long post, but I’m in a bit of a boot conundrum and I feel some neutral input may be helpful!

A little back story, I’ve almost always have had some foot pain (mostly cramping on the bottom of my feet) since I started skiing about 20+ years ago. I had custom footbeds from Granite Chief in Truckee from way back when and those never really solved the cramping problem (although the beds were formed to my foot perfectly, they didn’t have flat bottoms so they flexed with my foot).

In hindsight, my first two pair of boots were definitely too big. I eventually got fitted into some 24.5 Solomon X-waves, they fit like a nice, tight glove and felt no pain while off the slopes, but as soon as I started skiing, the cramping would come back. I was then fitted into a Full Tilt Soul Sister (again, a 24.5) these were glorious! In the beginning, I was elated, absolutely no foot pain (still using my Granite Chief footbeds)! After a couple weeks of wearing, the cramping started back up. Being on a bit of a budget, I tried semi-custom do-it-yourself footbeds. Over the last couple years the pain worsened. I relocated to the east coast and after dealing with pain every ski day, (and going to a podiatrist to make sure nothing was wrong with my foot), I went back to get new custom footbeds. I went to the highly recommended FIS Sports in Kingfield, ME. These guys are great, really know their stuff and these footbeds (with flat bottoms) did the trick! The only problem is it created some new issues. Now, there was too much room in my FT’s for my low volume foot with liners being packed out. They tried heel and ankle wraps—worked great on my left foot, which has always been my bad one, but my right foot (the bigger one) it was excruciating. Decidedly, it was time for new boots, so…

Back to the boot fitter I go.

I decide to go with the ski shop at Sugarloaf, since that’s my home mountain and if I need adjustments, they’re right there!

I had done some research and had an idea of what I should be looking at in terms of models for low volume narrow feet (in street shoes I wear an 8-8.5 and my foot width is 85mm). I got connected with Chris, he was a boot fitter from Vail and really knew his stuff. I was open to anything, but really like the 3 piece boot and based on what I know about my feet, I leaned towards the Dalbello Chakra 95 ID. He measured me and put me into the 24.5 in the Dalbello Chakra 95 ID. For reference, with a flexed knee my left foot is 24 and my right is almost 24.5.

The Dalbello fit fantastic…again, like a firm handshake but not crushing (I definitely want a performance fit). I asked to try them on with my new footbeds to see how that would feel—when he pulled the beds out of my boots and saw the hot mess of ankle wraps + c-rings trying to fill up volume, he recommended going down to a 23.5. He said if I go with the 24.5, I’d likely end up back in the same boat and assured me he could get the 23.5 to fit (that it’s easier to make a small boot bigger than I big boot smaller—which I knew). The cuff on the 23.5 was fantastic (the widest part of my calves are about 13.5” and my ankles are 8”), but my toes were crushed…it was excruciating. Even when I flexed, my toes were still pushed into the end (not just touching, but curled into). Chris reiterated that could be fixed and he could make the boot bigger. I had to go out of town, so I said I’d make up my mind while I was away. During that time, I learned that Chris had quit & inventory was very low, so I called the ski shop and bought the 23.5 over the phone to make sure I got them.

When I got back I went in to get my liners & shells heat molded. I had a couple boot fitters helping me and they seemed really knowledgeable, I could tell they were a bit surprised about the smaller boot. I explained Chris said they could be made bigger and they agreed it was possible—but only so much. They moved forward with the process…cut down my new ($250) footbeds to fit this smaller boot and molded everything to my foot. The length was still WAY too short. My toes were curled at the end, even when flexing. They told me to try to ski in them and they would loosen up & they’ll keep trying to punch them. After one run and basically feeling like I was going to vomit and couldn’t make turn being in so much pain, back to the ski shop I went. The first go around they carved more room in the heel, which didn’t really help the toe. Another run, same amount of pain, they punched out the toe, but the boots looked deformed and there were bulges coming out of the sides by my pinkie toes. I reiterated that it was the big toe area/front that needed punching and the width is NOT the issue, and they said it simply isn’t possible to get in there and ultimately conceded that Chris fitted me into the wrong size (the two boot fitters in there that day agreed they would not have put me in that size).

Wanting to make it right, they said I could exchange for another boot in the shop (they were now out of the Chakra’s in 24.5) so I tried on every boot they had left. None of them fit like the Dalbello’s, but (I’m sure partly out of frustration & the fact there were no other boots to try on), I went with the Nordica Strider 115 W DYN in 24.5 (a hybrid/touring boot that’s $150 more than the Dalbello). To make things worse, my 4 year old Marker bindings (not the Griffon or Jester) did not work with these boots, so I had to buy new bindings to work with these boots. I went ahead and threw another $230 at the problem. The next morning in my new boots and bindings I notice (other than the first run, which was okay other than all over bottom foot pain) 1. I can now feel the edge under my toes of my new $250 foot beds that were cut for the shorter boot. 2. These boots are too wide (turns out they are100mm last) and the volume is too big (I can lift my toes way up!) 3. The cuff is decent (other than the bruising on the inside of my calves), but overall the toe box area feel like clown shoes. 4. We have not heat molded the liners or shell (yet)

I took them back and discussed these issues. Basically, I was told these are my boots now. They did say they can/will work with me to get them to fit and they have ways of making it happen, but I know it’s not really possible to make a big boot smaller, right? They placed a couple of shims on the bootboard and it took up some of the space, but they’re still too wide. They claim they can fix it with some Fischer vacuum and heat molding the shell and liner. The plan is to go back in this weekend and get to work.

From my perspective, I can either 1. Take their word for it, and keep having them work the boot til they fit (not sure what happens if they don’t). 2. Cut my losses before they heat mold anything and see if they’ll remove the shims and try to sell the $700 boots + start over 3. Really push / make a stink and see if they will take them back (even at a loss on my end) and see if they will order me the boots I want in the right size (of if they can’t, I can order them elsewhere and have them mold them) + have them redo my foot beds they cut down or …???

Anyone have a different perspective or suggestions as to how to deal with this? I’ve lost too much sleep already

Thank you for reading!
The (not very) Happy Skier

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a pain!

I've got the striders as well (actually the men's model but I assume they'd fit in a similar way). I can wiggle my toes but my foot feels very secure within the boot. In other words, it feels roomy around my toes, but not in a way that makes the boot feel unresponsive or loose. In case that's of any help.

Did they give you the alpine soles as well as the grip walk ones? I'm assuming that's why you had to switch out your bindings?

The Happy Skier

Diva in Training
What a pain!

I've got the striders as well (actually the men's model but I assume they'd fit in a similar way). I can wiggle my toes but my foot feels very secure within the boot. In other words, it feels roomy around my toes, but not in a way that makes the boot feel unresponsive or loose. In case that's of any help.

Did they give you the alpine soles as well as the grip walk ones? I'm assuming that's why you had to switch out your bindings?

Thank you! And no, they did not give me alpine soles...I had no idea you could change them. That's actually kind of a bummer if it could have saved me from having to buy new bindings. But good to know if I decide to try to move forward with them, I'll ask where they are when I go back.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ugh sorry to hear this, how frustrating! I’ve definitely been down the road of trying to make boots fit, a number of times.. including going down to a smaller size and stretching this and molding that and punching this and canting that. I’m now in the camp of wanting to start with a boot that fits the absolute best possible from the box and doesn’t need a bunch of things done to “make it” fit because that’s where I’ve had the best luck. That might mean going to multiple shops to determine who has a boot that works best, not just what works best from a given shop’s current inventory.

Now that you are in the situation, I’m not sure what the best thing to do would be. I think if I were that unhappy with the current setup though, I’d try my darndest to get whatever money back that I could and start over elsewhere. (This could also mean that you might need to wait until next season if inventory is low in your size since it’s a common one. I’m the same and always try to shop super early season because of it..). This all originated with their employee putting you in the wrong boot, and it doesn’t sound like these are the right ones either, they should want to make it right.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I'd be PISSED. You had to change your BINDINGS out, and nobody thought to tell you that??!!

Honestly, find a great shell fit, sans liner, and get Boot Doc custom liners.

The Happy Skier

Diva in Training
Ugh sorry to hear this, how frustrating! I’ve definitely been down the road of trying to make boots fit, a number of times.. including going down to a smaller size and stretching this and molding that and punching this and canting that. I’m now in the camp of wanting to start with a boot that fits the absolute best possible from the box and doesn’t need a bunch of things done to “make it” fit because that’s where I’ve had the best luck. That might mean going to multiple shops to determine who has a boot that works best, not just what works best from a given shop’s current inventory.

Now that you are in the situation, I’m not sure what the best thing to do would be. I think if I were that unhappy with the current setup though, I’d try my darndest to get whatever money back that I could and start over elsewhere. (This could also mean that you might need to wait until next season if inventory is low in your size since it’s a common one. I’m the same and always try to shop super early season because of it..). This all originated with their employee putting you in the wrong boot, and it doesn’t sound like these are the right ones either, they should want to make it right.

Thank you! I am leaning towards trying to get whatever money back that I can. I figure I'll give 'em another spin on Saturday AM (I haven't tried them with the shims) and then going back and talk to them about next steps. You're SO right about shopping super early. I only bought them now because of the new footbeds creating more room in my current boots (the plan was to use my FT's for the rest of this season and start shopping for new boots in early next fall). Thing is, if they had just put me in the Dalbello's in the 24.5, it would have worked out (I may still order those online since I know they fit very well and I still need a boot for this season). Funny thing is my friend bought the same model Dalbello's from the same shop and she's wears a street shoe of 7.5 (I'm an 8-8.5) and they put us both in 23.5!

The Happy Skier

Diva in Training
Oh, I'd be PISSED. You had to change your BINDINGS out, and nobody thought to tell you that??!!

Honestly, find a great shell fit, sans liner, and get Boot Doc custom liners.

Haha yeah, joke's on ME! Thanks! The guy who did my footbeds does the Boot Doc liners. I don't know much about them but nice to get a rec for them.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have 83mm wide feet, low instep, L shape, tiny ankle, the whole nine yards. I have shimmed and padded and gone through boot after boot. Best shell fit for me is a Tecnica Mach 1 LV, but the liners I HATE. I had some Boot Doc liners in a pair of Head race boots that I moved into the Tecnicas, and voila! Best fit ever. The Heads fit but had way too much ramp and forward lean. Bonus is the liners are VERY comfy and don't pack out.

Ski boots are a major PITA. Sorry you are going through this.

The Happy Skier

Diva in Training
I have 83mm wide feet, low instep, L shape, tiny ankle, the whole nine yards. I have shimmed and padded and gone through boot after boot. Best shell fit for me is a Tecnica Mach 1 LV, but the liners I HATE. I had some Boot Doc liners in a pair of Head race boots that I moved into the Tecnicas, and voila! Best fit ever. The Heads fit but had way too much ramp and forward lean. Bonus is the liners are VERY comfy and don't pack out.

Ski boots are a major PITA. Sorry you are going through this.

Thanks! It is certainly frustrating. I don't feel like I've even skied much yet this season and at this rate I won't be skiing for the rest. :cry: Thanks for the info, the Technica Mach 1 LV was on my list of boots I suspected might work for my feet. The ski shop was sold out, but maybe I can find someone in Portland who still has some in stock to check out.

Interesting about the liners though! I was under the impression that you absolutely could not put them in a different shell. Also good to know!

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Regarding the question in your title: they can do a lot. I finally had a really great bootfitting experience (after kissing a lot of frogs, so to speak), and one of the things my fitter mentioned was that he can make just about anything work with enough time and "go to the hill and ski this and come back and tell me what you think and if it doesn't help, we'll try X and if it hurts I'll adjust Y."

It's been a struggle, but I've found so far that it's been essential to find a good listener who can tolerate my boatload of questions and has a big bag of tricks for potential solutions to a problem. Even better, he likes trying "minimally invasive" options first, like skiing with some voile straps on the cuffs of my touring boots before having me buy/install booster straps. Find the guy or gal you work well with and follow them through the test & adjust process. There's a chance that Chris guy got trapped in the "everyone needs smaller boots" mentality, or there's a chance his next steps might've been to switch you to a thinner liner, then do some punch work.

Regarding bootfitters who agree this Chris guy did or didn't put you in the right size boot, I've really appreciated bootfitters that avoid that kind of language. They might be experts at bootfitting, but they have no clue how your feet feel. I was pretty sure I found "the one" because he tested things - out of the boot, in the boot - and asked "does this feel better? does it feel worse? does this feel better than that? Ski it and come back and tell me what you think." He asked me so many questions and was such a good listener. I left thinking "I bet that guy has a really happy girlfriend or wife."

Depending on which Portland you're talking about, Brandon at Evo Seattle might be worth an appointment.

The Happy Skier

Diva in Training
Regarding the question in your title: they can do a lot. I finally had a really great bootfitting experience (after kissing a lot of frogs, so to speak), and one of the things my fitter mentioned was that he can make just about anything work with enough time and "go to the hill and ski this and come back and tell me what you think and if it doesn't help, we'll try X and if it hurts I'll adjust Y."

It's been a struggle, but I've found so far that it's been essential to find a good listener who can tolerate my boatload of questions and has a big bag of tricks for potential solutions to a problem. Even better, he likes trying "minimally invasive" options first, like skiing with some voile straps on the cuffs of my touring boots before having me buy/install booster straps. Find the guy or gal you work well with and follow them through the test & adjust process. There's a chance that Chris guy got trapped in the "everyone needs smaller boots" mentality, or there's a chance his next steps might've been to switch you to a thinner liner, then do some punch work.

Regarding bootfitters who agree this Chris guy did or didn't put you in the right size boot, I've really appreciated bootfitters that avoid that kind of language. They might be experts at bootfitting, but they have no clue how your feet feel. I was pretty sure I found "the one" because he tested things - out of the boot, in the boot - and asked "does this feel better? does it feel worse? does this feel better than that? Ski it and come back and tell me what you think." He asked me so many questions and was such a good listener. I left thinking "I bet that guy has a really happy girlfriend or wife."

Depending on which Portland you're talking about, Brandon at Evo Seattle might be worth an appointment.

Thank you for your response! Yeah, I'd say biggest concern at this point is how realistic it is to move forward with them and their claim they can make this too wide and too tall toe box smaller which is essentially what they're promising by heating the shell, liner and using that Fisher vacuum system. If I do that, and it still doesn't work I losing any hope of recouping any costs from a boot that at this point has only been skied on about 6 runs.

I think Chris knows his stuff, I just think he wasn't grasping how much my toes were being crushed (so maybe not hearing what I was saying...or maybe he truly had the ability to make it longer and the other guys in the shop don't?). The last and cuff of that boot were perfect, I just literally needed 1/2 size more in the length. I responded to another comment that a good friend bought the same Dalbello's (same week) and she wears a 7.5 street shoe (I wear an 8-8.5) and we both got fitted with the 23.5. And, the first day skiing she skied with them completely unbuckled because they were tight on her!

At this point I'll take a run or two Saturday morning and reevaluate then go back in and make my case.

Oh, and I live in the other Portland! :smile:

mustski

Angel Diva
I can also testify to the boot doc liners solving my heel hold issues. However, although it worked out for @contesstant, boot doc liners usually do not transfer well from one shell to another. Get your boot issues worked out BEFORE investing in that type of liner.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think Chris knows his stuff, I just think he wasn't grasping how much my toes were being crushed

Odds are pretty high. I feel like a lot of dude bro fitters see a lot of skiers who skied in oversized rentals or get fitted with a comfort fit for their first boots and always skew on the side of downsizing instead of listening to their customer (especially women. ugh. dude bros...)

I still wouldn't make too many assumptions based on what works for your friend's feet vs. yours. I measure a 25.5 and ended up in a 23.5. Several fitters I worked with over the shopping process were like "oh, you're one of those girls who likes their feet crushed. These'll be a great fit for your race background. Enjoy bashing gates in these." They really had a hard time understanding that I found them truly comfy (or that I have no race background whatsoever). Feet and boots are weird, and they both suck until they get dialed just right.

If you've got any misgivings about their potential fix (which I would, given the whole soles/bindings oredeal and the fact that the shop won't stand behind these if they don't end up fixing them), I'd take them to a few shops and get a few other opinions. If there's a lot of skepticism, I'd try to cut my losses and recoup some money from the boots - which tends to be a little easier with touring compatible gear since it's so dang expensive. If there's a lot of support, I'd give it a try. But I totally agree highly invasive procedures on boots gives me a ton of anxiety. :goodluck:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can also testify to the boot doc liners solving my heel hold issues. However, although it worked out for @contesstant, boot doc liners usually do not transfer well from one shell to another. Get your boot issues worked out BEFORE investing in that type of liner.
Yes. Unless the shells are very similar, they don't usually transfer from one boot to another. I got lucky.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Portland Maine. Paging @MaineSkiLady as she skis the Loaf too. Although I know she gets her boots elsewhere.
In Carrabassett Valley, I totally recommend Lionel at Happy Tunes (in the Tufulio's complex).

And yes, @Jilly, I buy and jury rig my own boots. Old, possibly dumb habit. I just keep doctoring until it works.

This problem is way over my head.
Much luck to OP, quite a conundrum.

@The Happy Skier - your avatar background looks like White Nitro to me. :wink: I was up there today, and the warm temps Mon and Tues followed by rapid freeze have TRASHED conditions. :doh:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for your response! Yeah, I'd say biggest concern at this point is how realistic it is to move forward with them and their claim they can make this too wide and too tall toe box smaller which is essentially what they're promising by heating the shell, liner and using that Fisher vacuum system. If I do that, and it still doesn't work I losing any hope of recouping any costs from a boot that at this point has only been skied on about 6 runs.

I think Chris knows his stuff, I just think he wasn't grasping how much my toes were being crushed (so maybe not hearing what I was saying...or maybe he truly had the ability to make it longer and the other guys in the shop don't?). The last and cuff of that boot were perfect, I just literally needed 1/2 size more in the length. I responded to another comment that a good friend bought the same Dalbello's (same week) and she wears a 7.5 street shoe (I wear an 8-8.5) and we both got fitted with the 23.5. And, the first day skiing she skied with them completely unbuckled because they were tight on her!

At this point I'll take a run or two Saturday morning and reevaluate then go back in and make my case.

Oh, and I live in the other Portland! :smile:
Have you done a shell fit on your own in the current boots? Some liners can be really short-lasted, so to speak, and can squish your toes badly. If the shell fit is good, and overall it's a good boot for your skill set, size and such, then they could be salvageable with a custom liner.

I literally have MAYBE a small pinky space behind my heel, and very little space around my whole foot. The BD liners in there fill all the nooks and crannies where there IS space, but not where there isn't. So, if the shell fit is good, it's possible a custom liner could work. Hard to say, but something to keep in the back of your mind.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had my boots worked on at least 6, maybe 8 times by a fabulous bootfitter. One of the things that makes them great are their willingness to talk to me.

With that being said, I have no,doubt a good bootfitter can make those work. I'm just not sure you have a good,bootfitter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna