• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Should I move my bindings?

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
Could it be that by "pushing" your heels you were actually flexing your ankle more? Or were you actually leaning against the back of the boot?
I have really deep ankle flex, and despite my boots being 110 flex, I can easily bend them far forward so that's pretty normal for me. This was leaning back, off the balls of my feet to really push more on my heels. Since this isn't really the desired position (from everything I've heard), but I was getting the desired effortless turns, I thought it might be an equipment variation in binding placement. It's not radical enough that I'm actually going to move my bindings but I am learning a ton from you all, so thanks to everyone for the responses so far.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like playing with fore-aft balance; it's a new thing for me to even notice where my weight is on my skis during different parts of a turn. You do lose control of the tips, and if you have any tendency to lean in or sit back it's probably not a great habit to build, but I think investigating how our skis behave in all situations is always a good thing. :thumb:

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
I have really deep ankle flex, and despite my boots being 110 flex, I can easily bend them far forward so that's pretty normal for me. This was leaning back, off the balls of my feet to really push more on my heels. Since this isn't really the desired position (from everything I've heard), but I was getting the desired effortless turns, I thought it might be an equipment variation in binding placement. It's not radical enough that I'm actually going to move my bindings but I am learning a ton from you all, so thanks to everyone for the responses so far.

In that case, what you were doing is dorsiflexing the foot, which is good!!! As stated here and on other threads, a lot of folks who are beginner and intermediate skiers hear the repeated admonishment to get their shins against the tongue of the boot and keep them there. This can be helpful initially for getting someone out of the backseat, but as they progress, it becomes more nuanced than that. Too much focus on shin-tongue contact can lead to someone standing on the ball of the foot, with the heel rising out of the heel cup. The key is that you want to stay balanced on your WHOLE foot. So the better way to achieve that instead of bending the knees to flex the ankle (and therefor raising the heel) is to dorsiflex the foot to bend the ankle as this will keep the heel and the entire foot really, in better balance on the ski. As Jilly said, I don't think its the binding mounting point as much as there are subtle shifts for you to work on in your skiing to be more efficient.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga