• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add webmaster@theskidiva.com to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Scariest lifts?

Jenny

Angel Diva
I have added the Peak lift at Whistler to my dislike list. It's fine at first, but then near the end there's a rock face that's RIGHT in your face, and then it gets high, and the lift goes up over a lip and it feels like they want you to get off before you even clear the edge and your chair partners are trying to lift the bar and you tell them no-no-no not yet, but they want to and you're actually far enough over the lipbutit'shardtorealizethatandjustBREATHEandRELAX! We did it twice, because it's so beautiful up there, but I wan't any happier the second time.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I never remember seeing this thread the first time around, but at the time, there was nothing really. The first chair that every scared the bajeezus out of me was the challenger lift at Big Sky - getting off it especially terrified me at the time - to the point I was feeling nauseated.
I hate getting off that lift.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went through this thread from the start, looking for mention of the lift (THE lift) at Silverton - no mention! It's a double that goes up terrain with a minimum of 30 degrees. Almost 2k vertical. Disturbingly far from the ground. No safety bar. Backpacks with shovel and probe are required, so you're squeezed onto a tiny rickety chair with no bar AND a sizeable pack on your lap, and at the top there's a steep dropoff and tight lefthand turn to navigate while swinging the pack onto your back.

The bars are getting heavier and harder to use at most ski areas as maps and marketing photos are added, and the metal becomes beefier and the chairs wider to accomodate more riders.
Funny (?) you mention this. I won't put the bar down if I'm on the chair by myself on four packs and six packs - I'm too worried that I won't be able to lift it again, with the map and whatnot. I guess I do sometimes put the bar down on the Breck superconnect. It's when the lift stops that I start realizing how precarious my position is. Otherwise I don't mind the bar, but often don't put it down unless others ask. My husband prefers the bar down, so I've started asking when we're both on the chair, because people are less likely to give a woman guff about asking for the bar to be put down (seriously, people, get over yourselves!).

DRG

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Red Dog chair at Squaw Valley . . . I am afraid of heights and this one got to me! At the point where it crosses the ravine, I looked across and above at the chairs coming down which gave me terrible vertigo. Freaked me out! : )

I have added the Peak lift at Whistler to my dislike list. It's fine at first, but then near the end there's a rock face that's RIGHT in your face, and then it gets high, and the lift goes up over a lip and it feels like they want you to get off before you even clear the edge and your chair partners are trying to lift the bar and you tell them no-no-no not yet, but they want to and you're actually far enough over the lipbutit'shardtorealizethatandjustBREATHEandRELAX! We did it twice, because it's so beautiful up there, but I wan't any happier the second time.
That's one of my favorites for the drama factor. But I know I told that the first time we rode it we didn't use the bar, and very much regretted that. I love how it almost seems like you might hit your skis on the rock face. I also love the good view you get of great skiers skiing that area.

Staff online

Members Online