• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Scariest lifts?

Jenny

Angel Diva
I have added the Peak lift at Whistler to my dislike list. It's fine at first, but then near the end there's a rock face that's RIGHT in your face, and then it gets high, and the lift goes up over a lip and it feels like they want you to get off before you even clear the edge and your chair partners are trying to lift the bar and you tell them no-no-no not yet, but they want to and you're actually far enough over the lipbutit'shardtorealizethatandjustBREATHEandRELAX! We did it twice, because it's so beautiful up there, but I wan't any happier the second time.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I never remember seeing this thread the first time around, but at the time, there was nothing really. The first chair that every scared the bajeezus out of me was the challenger lift at Big Sky - getting off it especially terrified me at the time - to the point I was feeling nauseated.

I hate getting off that lift.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went through this thread from the start, looking for mention of the lift (THE lift) at Silverton - no mention! It's a double that goes up terrain with a minimum of 30 degrees. Almost 2k vertical. Disturbingly far from the ground. No safety bar. Backpacks with shovel and probe are required, so you're squeezed onto a tiny rickety chair with no bar AND a sizeable pack on your lap, and at the top there's a steep dropoff and tight lefthand turn to navigate while swinging the pack onto your back.

The bars are getting heavier and harder to use at most ski areas as maps and marketing photos are added, and the metal becomes beefier and the chairs wider to accomodate more riders.

Funny (?) you mention this. I won't put the bar down if I'm on the chair by myself on four packs and six packs - I'm too worried that I won't be able to lift it again, with the map and whatnot. I guess I do sometimes put the bar down on the Breck superconnect. It's when the lift stops that I start realizing how precarious my position is. Otherwise I don't mind the bar, but often don't put it down unless others ask. My husband prefers the bar down, so I've started asking when we're both on the chair, because people are less likely to give a woman guff about asking for the bar to be put down (seriously, people, get over yourselves!).

DRG

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Red Dog chair at Squaw Valley . . . I am afraid of heights and this one got to me! At the point where it crosses the ravine, I looked across and above at the chairs coming down which gave me terrible vertigo. Freaked me out! : )

Christy

Angel Diva
I have added the Peak lift at Whistler to my dislike list. It's fine at first, but then near the end there's a rock face that's RIGHT in your face, and then it gets high, and the lift goes up over a lip and it feels like they want you to get off before you even clear the edge and your chair partners are trying to lift the bar and you tell them no-no-no not yet, but they want to and you're actually far enough over the lipbutit'shardtorealizethatandjustBREATHEandRELAX! We did it twice, because it's so beautiful up there, but I wan't any happier the second time.

That's one of my favorites for the drama factor. But I know I told that the first time we rode it we didn't use the bar, and very much regretted that. I love how it almost seems like you might hit your skis on the rock face. I also love the good view you get of great skiers skiing that area.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:bump:

I used this thread as the basis for a blog post way back in 2016, and I'm thinking it's time for an update. Anyone have any other lifts they'd like to add?

Amie H

Angel Diva
Every chair at Whitecap Mountains, WI! :becky:

There is one chair that, IF you don't disembark at the midpoint (which I don't think you always had to,) would be a pretty unnerving ride across a ravine with no bars and a shallow, rickety seat. I just looked and you covered it in your list in 2016! But now riders have to get off at the midpoint so...not AS scary but still not great.

I was on the Ellis chair at Homewood this year that, though I was OK with (old, no bars, but high up) but I worried about someone taking a child on there.

Gondola at PCM is a tad scary. I was fine with it, my sister was freaking out a little.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
T2 at Porters in NZ , the only uphill double black diamond in the country !!
Sadly there have been several serious injuries and at least 1 death over the years.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
T2 at Porters in NZ , the only uphill double black diamond in the country !!
Sadly there have been several serious injuries and at least 1 death over the years.
I actually don't recall being too worried about that lift last time I was at Porters (early-season July 2020), but I did notice it had some steep bits! That's horrible to hear about the injuries and death though.

The last steep bit before the very top of the Roundhill nutcracker scares me due to previously coming off it. I ended up a fair distance back downhill and the terrain there is not very flat....

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually don't recall being too worried about that lift last time I was at Porters (early-season July 2020), but I did notice it had some steep bits! That's horrible to hear about the injuries and death though.

The last steep bit before the very top of the Roundhill nutcracker scares me due to previously coming off it. I ended up a fair distance back downhill and the terrain there is not very flat....
Its generally ok but there are days when it gets super icy and thats when the trouble starts !
I havent managed to ride the ropetow at Roundhill yet but it looks looooong, not sure my arms would be up to it :laughter:

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got back from a weekend jaunt to Mission Ridge in Wenatchee. I recall not loving the lifts, but it seems like now in the spring they are running even faster. The attendants even actually say, "Coming in hot!" when it's right behind you. We had to ask them to slow it down for us after having a ski pop off twice trying to get on, tweaking an ankle another time as well as losing poles, yet another time.

It wasn't just us having trouble - the lifts are swinging from other people scrambling too. One time we even lightly banged one of the lift poles from swinging. These lifts are two person lifts with no safety bar. They did slow the lifts down for little kids, thankfully.

Chair 3 they refuse to slow down and say it on the board outside the lift so knowing how much faster they were, we avoided that one, even though there were some runs my husband wanted to do at top. I dunno what gives! We left a note with guest services on this cause I can't imagine it's very safe!!

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For sure T2 at Porters is steep and frequently icy, but I had the worst (non-work) lift experience of my life on T3, the next lift up, when a guy about 3 Ts ahead of us came off near the summit and slid backwards, picking up speed as he went. He slammed straight into us, and my thigh took the full force of his board's edge. No critical injuries, but the mother of all bruises, and the pain! I don't know if a recent video depicting a similar event (in North America, I think) has done the rounds here, but it definitely revived some memories for me.

On a side note, it seems like a long time since I've been on this site, but I'm excited to see some other keen Canterbury skiers here! I'm a former Porter Heights SC member, but in recent years have been instructing in Queenstown. I've just decided to step back from that this year, rehab from a couple of ski injuries, and get back into skiing (and touring), for fun. I have the Hutt/Q'town pass, but also planning to do more club field exploring this year. I live in Christchurch.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For sure T2 at Porters is steep and frequently icy, but I had the worst (non-work) lift experience of my life on T3, the next lift up, when a guy about 3 Ts ahead of us came off near the summit and slid backwards, picking up speed as he went. He slammed straight into us, and my thigh took the full force of his board's edge. No critical injuries, but the mother of all bruises, and the pain! I don't know if a recent video depicting a similar event (in North America, I think) has done the rounds here, but it definitely revived some memories for me.

On a side note, it seems like a long time since I've been on this site, but I'm excited to see some other keen Canterbury skiers here! I'm a former Porter Heights SC member, but in recent years have been instructing in Queenstown. I've just decided to step back from that this year, rehab from a couple of ski injuries, and get back into skiing (and touring), for fun. I have the Hutt/Q'town pass, but also planning to do more club field exploring this year. I live in Christchurch.
Fantastic !!! I live in Springfield so Porters is on my doorstep which is why I tend to ski there the most ie several times a week :ski:
I've had to dodge sliders on both T2 and 3 over the years but luckliy I've never been taken out thank goodness.
And as for that video you mentioned, many people mentioned T2 at Porters in the comments :laughter:

My son patrols there, hubby used to be a ski host and I did a season helping out in the cafe so its always been a bit of a family affair.

I'll be spending the season coming back from injury as well so let me know if you head up and we can meet up x

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh definitely will do! And lucky you, living so close! I have such a soft spot for Porters, in good conditions it's unbeatable. Had one lovely day there last year, with my arm in a cast, lol. No Porters pass this year sadly, but I do have seasons passes for the other nearby Craigieburns fields, as well as Mt Hutt etc. Have actually developed a real appreciation for Mt Hutt in the last decade too. In the right conditions, of course...

• Love
Reactions: AJM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly