• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Roof Box vs. Ski Rack

altagirl

Staff member
I always leave the box attached to the (aftermarket Thule) rails. So when we take it off, we just unlock the attachment of the rails to the car and the whole thing comes off in about 10 seconds. I've managed to do it myself, but it's practically a guarantee to add some more scratches to the roof of my car. With a second person, it's very easy. If I had to actually get in there with a wrench and unfasten the rack from the bars.... ugh.

So if you're using factory bars on your car that don't come on and off, that's something to think about too. I don't know what kind of system the one you're talking about has or how complicated it is to take on and off. But I know I don't ever intend to remove the box from the rails once I put mine on there - way too much work.

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A few more thoughts:

My car fits in the garage with the box on top. Not sure how much (if at all) taller the Rouge is than the Outback, but I have plenty of room.

We take the box through the car wash. No issues, just a dirty roof under the box where the water can't get in.

If you are thinking about taking it on and off all the time, that seems like a total hassle. I say if you are going to commit to a box, put it on and leave it on for the season.

I can lift the box by myself and get it onto the car with no problem. It's super light, just a little awkward.

We have ours mounted to the factory racks and it's still super easy to get on and off.

NbyNW

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The guy at Rocky Mounts is the person who alerted me to the issue of the rounded roof rack (which is that way due to the shape of the roof and they are factory cross bars).

Why would the good people at Nissan design your roof and roof rack that way?

NbyNW

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always leave the box attached to the (aftermarket Thule) rails. So when we take it off, we just unlock the attachment of the rails to the car and the whole thing comes off in about 10 seconds. I've managed to do it myself, but it's practically a guarantee to add some more scratches to the roof of my car. With a second person, it's very easy. If I had to actually get in there with a wrench and unfasten the rack from the bars.... ugh.

So if you're using factory bars on your car that don't come on and off, that's something to think about too. I don't know what kind of system the one you're talking about has or how complicated it is to take on and off. But I know I don't ever intend to remove the box from the rails once I put mine on there - way too much work.

My Thule box comes off the (also aftermarket) rails VERY easily. Just a few knobs inside the box to loosen up, no tools needed. Really the only issue getting it on an off the car is what other people have said, it's large and awkward for a small person to handle. Better if you have a buddy to help!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have both and for day trips I prefer the rack. We often give rides to other people (kids) and I think it's easier for loading and drop-off. I honestly use the box more in the summer especially when we take dogs etc and need the extra room. The box is definately is nicer when you are travelling out of town for skiing than the rack though. So I think if you have use for it yearround it may be a wise investment but otherwise you would likely be fine with the rack and a few extra $$.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Late to the party on this one - and not sure what to advise. I've had both, am currently using a rack when necessary (purchased with car, their name on it) - but have had a box and liked it for that year, vehicle already had crossbars, most newer ones do not. But when said box was given to my son, it got mounted up, by him and DH THE ENGINEER inside the garage, after which I/NON-ENGINEER commented that it was entirely unlikely that said vehicle with said box would actually clear the garage door, in order to get out of said garage. :ROTF:
I was, of course, correct.
Men....:rolleyes:
Good luck whichever way you go, Robyn.
How is the vehicle? Friend currently seriously pondering buying one. Good mileage?

altagirl

Staff member
Late to the party on this one - and not sure what to advise. I've had both, am currently using a rack when necessary (purchased with car, their name on it) - but have had a box and liked it for that year, vehicle already had crossbars, most newer ones do not. But when said box was given to my son, it got mounted up, by him and DH THE ENGINEER inside the garage, after which I/NON-ENGINEER commented that it was entirely unlikely that said vehicle with said box would actually clear the garage door, in order to get out of said garage. :ROTF:
I was, of course, correct.
Men....:rolleyes:

AWESOME. :laugh:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
This, of course, was so Classic Man Fail that I'm pretty sure my archives have a video clip of this....oversight...It was too good to not video. :becky:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really love my Rogue. It's the right size for me, handles nicely and kept me safe when I was in the accident in July. I can comfortably put 3 people plus ski gear in it whithout anything on top. Adding the rack or box will increase that to 4-5 (5 would be tight but possible in a pinch). My bike goes in the back without taking the front wheel off. I could put 2 in if I took the front wheels off.

So, Pinto saw my car today and is tending toward the rack for my needs too. I kind of think that since I'm single it might be the right choice. If I had someone I could depend on regularly to help with the installation and removal or if I were hauling people in the car regularly I absolutely believe the box would be the right choice. I think part of the box hesitation for me is that I can't afford the box I would really want right now which is the Yakima Skybox LoPro.

I'm going to wait to make a decision on Sunday and just see how I feel about it between now and then. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and suggestions about how to deal with the hurdles and things.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We take the box through the car wash. No issues, just a dirty roof under the box where the water can't get in.

I think I'm too tall? But I never really checked, just assumed. The washer brushes are at least softer than the Lionshead garage ... (Vail Village parking garage is fine, Lionshead is about 1/2 in. short)

geargrrl

Angel Diva
This, of course, was so Classic Man Fail that I'm pretty sure my archives have a video clip of this....oversight...It was too good to not video. :becky:

Link? You did upload it to youtube, right?

That is pretty funny.

Speaking of classic man fail, I just posted a hilarious video to the humor thread. "Beware the Dog House"... The link should be working now.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Took a few minutes, but I found it. Meh. Not really worth putting up online. Story's as good as the video. DOG HOUSE, however, was hilarious! I got DH out of bed to watch that one. :D The meal time was the clincher. :ROTF:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I really love my Rogue. It's the right size for me, handles nicely and kept me safe when I was in the accident in July.
:eek::eek: I missed this when it happened?? Or you didn't post about it?? YIKES. SO sorry, glad you are okay!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:eek::eek: I missed this when it happened?? Or you didn't post about it?? YIKES. SO sorry, glad you are okay!
I think I posted something somewhere but can't remember. It was a 3 car pile up with me in the middle so I was partially at fault. :( But, again I was safe and the car was repaired. I can't see or feel a difference before vs. after.

angelkeys

Certified Ski Diva
I have a ski rack like the Yakima fat cat but made by Sportrack. I have it mounted on crossbars on my Kia Sportage. It holds 4 snowboards and 2 pairs of fat skis without trouble. I put the crossbars on my roof rails to have enough lift off the roof to fit the snowboard binding upside down. The setup works great. I have also used bungee cords to attach another snowboard on top of all that ( don't tell anyone:loco: though).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga