• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Protecting skis on car racks

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I will say though - make sure you maintain your locks on those boxes. Last time I used mine (it was actually for luggage on a bike trip), we couldn't get the key to work. Had to break it open with a screwdriver (which took no effort at all, so don't be under the illusion that those locked boxes are secure), but even though it seemed secure when we started home, it flew open on the interstate and we had to run around picking up bags from all over I-70, which was fun. From now on I think it's just going to stay unlocked and we'll ratchet strap the thing closed instead...
I just got a box for my trip to Taos in Feb. I drilled a hole thru the front, next to the latch, and fitted a padlock thru it, both to prevent it flying open and for security. Took about 30 sec. Am contemplating adding a lock on each side, as well, but not sure if that's overkill.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
This is a bit of self-promotion but very relevant to the topic. I also remember the beefy ski bags that airlines use to give out for flying with skis. I was surprised that there was nowhere to buy them anymore because they are perfect for roof and hitch-mount ski racks. I recently started to produce Ski Slips, which are waterproof 4mil poly bags for protecting skis from road grime, salt, and muck.
Great idea! But will they stay on at highway speeds? Asking because before I got my car box I tried a car bag -- supposedly created for the purpose, but about 500 mi into my trip I discovered that the seams on one side had shredded (luckily before anything blew out!).

geargrrl

Angel Diva
We also use ski bags. We mount the bags to the bars with looped boat straps. We do this for overnight trips when we are taking *all* the skis.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We also use ski bags. We mount the bags to the bars with looped boat straps. We do this for overnight trips when we are taking *all* the skis.
Could you post a picture the next time that happens? Can't quite envision how that works.

Amie H

Angel Diva
If you have a Sportube, they make a locking metal arm to attach the Sportube to the roof rack! They were out of stock for a long while, I put my name on waiting list, then was emailed by their sales dept when they were available. Of course, I ended up selling my car w the roof rack, and my new car only has rails at the moment. I am not sure if I will ever use this thing - if I do get a roof rack, then likely for my XC skis as they are so darn long they poke into the front seat.

Jilly

Staff member
So, we have a bit of a dilemma here. Sloggn is actually male. And we are keeping this forum for women only. Also this could count as promotion, but it is a product that not many have seen. But sorry @Sloggn , you're gone....

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
So, we have a bit of a dilemma here. Sloggn is actually male. And we are keeping this forum for women only. Also this could count as promotion, but it is a product that not many have seen. But sorry @Sloggn , you're gone....
Thanks for being vigilant, @Jilly -- was he trying to sneak on, or did he somehow not realize that this was a woman-only forum?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga