• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Protecting skis on car racks

amazon_blonde

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any ideas of products that could protect my beloved skis and bindings from damage and dirt while riding on the roof rack? We try to keep our skiis in the wagon for daily trips, but for longer outings with luggage, the roof seems the only option. Has anyone come across a cocoon or something for skiis riding outside?

MissySki

Angel Diva
We recently got a cargo box to replace the ski rack because we'd always opt to stuff everything in the car instead of using the outside ski rack and get our skis all gross..

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
You know, there USED to be VERY thin nylon zip ski bags specifically for this. Also binding covers, but good LUCK keeping those in place. (Geargrrl had a neat idea for velcro straps to secure awhile ago -- a great idea for anyone who can actually thread a needle...like I can't) I'm not seeing bags like this anymore, although slightly beefier bags can be coaxed into a ski rack, if skis will fit in the rack base-to-base with bag. We need those thin bags back! If at all possible, we generally will get skis inside vehicle if roads are messy.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ditto Missyski. We ended up selling our rack and buying a box. We were putting our skis in the car most of the time too, to protect them from the road grime.

Sent from my SGH-i667 using Board Express

Jilly

Staff member
3rd the Cargo Box. The box can be used winter or summer and can last a long time. Usually you need new "feet" when you buy a new car.

Check out the Thule or Yakima sites.

altagirl

Staff member
You could also just do something like bring along a spray bottle of like simple green and a bottle of water and just spray them off when you arrive and wipe them off with a rag. We do that with our bikes when we're traveling through snow/salt/road grime in bad weather (in spring and fall you're regularly crossing mountain passes where it's snowing with nice bike weather on the other side).

For skiing we just don't have a long commute, and our ski racks are on top of the bed of the truck so they don't get very dirty, and if I drive my Element, they fit inside. I will say though - make sure you maintain your locks on those boxes. Last time I used mine (it was actually for luggage on a bike trip), we couldn't get the key to work. Had to break it open with a screwdriver (which took no effort at all, so don't be under the illusion that those locked boxes are secure), but even though it seemed secure when we started home, it flew open on the interstate and we had to run around picking up bags from all over I-70, which was fun. From now on I think it's just going to stay unlocked and we'll ratchet strap the thing closed instead...

geargrrl

Angel Diva
yes, I make binding covers for all our skis. I know I've posted pics of them before. It's just a big square of water repellent fabric, webbing and velcro. You used to be able to buy them years ago. No I don't make them for sale. Maybe someone can dig up the link where I posted pics and possible a how to?

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When our family takes a trip where the roof-rack becomes a necessity, we have found that our ski bags actually fit into those racks quite well. We have padded bags and no trouble at all . Used to use those gaitors for the bindings but found we didn't need to muck around with those after all!

marzNC

Angel Diva
yes, I make binding covers for all our skis. I know I've posted pics of them before. It's just a big square of water repellent fabric, webbing and velcro. You used to be able to buy them years ago. No I don't make them for sale. Maybe someone can dig up the link where I posted pics and possible a how to?
I found the thread, but the pics don't show any more.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...nding-covers-for-roof-rack.11538/#post-157910

I've found that searches in Google with "search words : ski diva" work better for finding stuff than the built-in Search. True for other online forums too.

amazon_blonde

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, Divas. We were aware of the cargo box option, but since we have a great rack and would not really use the cargo box for anything other than skiis, was hoping to find a "wrap" solution. We have big pow skis with AT bindings that have to go into the ski rack one at a time (like snowboards) so I don't think using a standard ski bag would work (or we would have to use two ...) just trying to find a cheap-ish solution. Seems like never ending expenses with this sport ....

Ellen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Rossignol makes a binding cover for about $10. https://store.rossignol.com/products/607509
I picked one up years ago that I have in my travel bag in case I have to stick my skis on the side of a shuttle bus, etc. It is just a plastic coated cloth with some elastic, I think it snaps together but I haven't used it in a while so I don't remember 100%. When I travel by car, they are inside.

c14f59a90481b4620aee0aca34487ad6.jpg

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Rossignol makes a binding cover for about $10.
The elastic does NOT stay put when the vehicle is traveling at highway speeds. That's why geargrrl's velcro strap design is so excellent. (Don't ask how I know that these don't work well -but you probably figured that out, eh?)

amazon_blonde

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks Geargrrl. That looks awesome. I don't think I can't make one though ... You need to sell them on etsy!

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another option to consider, especially if you fly to vacation areas is a plastic ski box. I always use mine why I fly places, and last year I went with some friends whose vehicle only had roof bars. We bungee corded the ski box to the rack (yes the ski box has "handles" that are designed for this) and while I was a bit nervous at first it definitely worked out very well. I have a double box (for when DH comes along) and a single box (for when I go alone). I also have a cargo box, and have to admit I really liked it. (It doesn't fit my car.) We used it in the summer for fishing rods, clam rakes, folding chairs, etc., and in the winter it is SOOO nice just to open the lid, pop the skis and poles and snowboards, and etc. in and just go.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know you said you didn't want a box - but after I brought out skis, muddy from a drive through highway slush, to the ski shop and was told ascerbically that "we are not a car wash" - I got a box. I actually find it a lot easier to use, and while I don't *need* the extra space, sometimes it's really nice to have. Like for keeping muddy biking gear separate from clean stuff on a road trip.

S

Sloggn

This is a bit of self-promotion but very relevant to the topic. I also remember the beefy ski bags that airlines use to give out for flying with skis. I was surprised that there was nowhere to buy them anymore because they are perfect for roof and hitch-mount ski racks. I recently started to produce Ski Slips, which are waterproof 4mil poly bags for protecting skis from road grime, salt, and muck.

Attachments

• Primary Silo.jpg
    Primary Silo.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga