• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Pole length and skiing steeps/bumps

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Poles that are too short can have unintended consequences. In order to release our skis, our center needs move over the downhill ski. If you plant your pole too far away from you or have to reach too far to plant the pole, your hips actually move back and up the hill making it harder to release the edges.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Poles that are too short can have unintended consequences. In order to release our skis, our center needs move over the downhill ski. If you plant your pole too far away from you or have to reach too far to plant the pole, your hips actually move back and up the hill making it harder to release the edges.

That would be very short, indeed.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That would be very short, indeed.

Not necessarily ... all it takes is having to bend over at the waist. You want to get forward, but not by bending. That moves your arm and pole down, but your butt back. (That's how I understand it, at least -- I've been working on this, myself.)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not necessarily ... all it takes is having to bend over at the waist. You want to get forward, but not by bending. That moves your arm and pole down, but your butt back. (That's how I understand it, at least -- I've been working on this, myself.)

Fair enough. For me personally, it seems like a small difference in pole length (about 2") helps me and makes me feel more confident. Jury still out on whether it sends my butt back at this point =)

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Exactly, Pinto.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am a big fan of adjustable poles. For long side hill tours they rock, of course, but also for on the fly experimentation.

As my coaches have made stance suggestions over the years (from taller to more aggressive carving stance) i have been able to play around with heights, in very small increments.

I err on the short side of things even though my neutral stance is fairly upright.
The shorter pole allows for great extension down the hill and makes me reach for it.

I skied a few days with no baskets in soft snow. While not something I recommend it very rapidly cures any stabbing into the snow tendency of old school skiers who use the pole plant as a blocking move!

Park and pipe rider's pole lengths should not be used for recreational skiing as they sometimes go as far as cutting theirs almost in half. Landing on ice with any sort of normal length poles can spell rapid disaster.

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm... Maybe a pair of adjustable poles might be on my wish list for next season.

Went down the same steep double black diamond run that prompted this thread today. Nice thing was that it was covered in some powder. Parts of it were fun to ski, but once I started hitting rocks and scraped off bumps, it just became hard work, had to give myself pep talks, and I found myself in the back seat in a few spots. At least I didn't fall on that run today :becky:.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tammy, funny to just see this today, as our pole issue yesterday related to this when we saw you. I don't know if you noticed the difference between the single pole and the green poles I showed you ( not the random one), if not catch me next time and I can show you the difference.

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Gloria, I'll have to see it again I'm afraid. Trying to see if I can score a deal on some adjustable poles maybe next month when it comes to the end-of-season sales.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay now I have read through the entire thread and I also wouldn't use a shortened pole for steeps, especially if it's truly steep. I would be scared of missing a plant and falling etc. Mogul skiers shorten their poles to compensate for the compression not necessarily the terrain so if you aren't going ATF you probably only need to go a bit shorter and not much more. Alot of things like using a whole arm plant, turning around the pole and planting on the top of the bump can put you in the backseat as well as not keeping your feet underneath you and compressing late. I have a pair of adjustable poles you are welcome to experiment with and see if they help before you buy some.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga