• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Pole length and skiing steeps/bumps

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone been advised to cut down their pole length to help them get better body position down the fall line on steeps or in bumps? I've heard this from a few people and they said it really helps.

If you've done this how far did you cut down your poles, and/or did it work for you?

Other thoughts?

Thanks.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Funny, I just went to a slightly longer pole length, about 5 mm and it really helped! But, no I haven't heard that at all.

abc

Banned
See if you can borrow a pair of adjustable poles and do some experimenting.

I found that out "accidentally". Last time out, I forgot my regular poles in my other house so I had to use my back country pole which is adjustable. The grip was different enough the length just felt wrong so I decided to ski the same run a few times at by changing the pole length by 1cm (~1/2"). I found out I like my poles really short on bumps but like them a bit longer on steeps.

Not wanting to use adjustable poles all the time, I think I'll get another pair that's about an inch shorter. As a compromise, it'll be just short enough for bumps but not too short for steeps.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use adjustable poles and like them a bit shorter than my old poles which were traditionally sized. They aren't so short as to be considered new school park poles but they definitely help me get forward.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, generally speaking shorter poles are better for skiing bumps, and longer for steeps. I don't know why shorter for steeps would be good, unless yours are too long to begin with. If it's truly steep, it's a farther distance to reach down anyway.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I started wondering if I would benefit from shorter poles, so I got some adjustable backcountry poles. I do find that a slightly shorter pole helps me do pole plants and keep a better body position in steeps and bumps. On easy terrain, I still don't use them, but then, it doesn't matter - my form and comfort level is fine on easy terrain without needing to use pole plants.

The rule of thumb I've heard is that bump and park skiers prefer shorter poles, while racers prefer longer poles.

Sheldon, the guide we skied with at Silverton, likes her poles short because it helps her get forward and because she has Reynaud's, so keeping her hands low during hikes helps her stay warm.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, generally speaking shorter poles are better for skiing bumps, and longer for steeps. I don't know why shorter for steeps would be good, unless yours are too long to begin with. If it's truly steep, it's a farther distance to reach down anyway.

Shorter for steeps forces me to get forward. It helps break me out of traverse mode.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess the caveat is ... shorter better for steeps if you have an issue with not reaching down. Got it. I guess I'm thinking of this in terms of just skiing ... I have shorter poles that I wish I had remembered to bring to Mary Jane yesterday, because we skied moguls 90% of the day. A mogul rises up and shortens the effective distance from your hand to the snow. Whereas a steep falls away and lengthens that distance.

But it is also an individual preference, to a point.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess the caveat is ... shorter better for steeps if you have an issue with not reaching down. Got it. I guess I'm thinking of this in terms of just skiing ... I have shorter poles that I wish I had remembered to bring to Mary Jane yesterday, because we skied moguls 90% of the day. A mogul rises up and shortens the effective distance from your hand to the snow. Whereas a steep falls away and lengthens that distance.

But it is also an individual preference, to a point.

Oh god, my thighs are burning from yesterday. It was good to see you, however briefly!

So yes, ideally, you wouldn't need shorter poles in the steeps, but for some of us, they help break bad habits. For that matter, for a while now, my "correct" measured pole length has just felt long to me - as you say, preference.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh god, my thighs are burning from yesterday. It was good to see you, however briefly!

So yes, ideally, you wouldn't need shorter poles in the steeps, but for some of us, they help break bad habits. For that matter, for a while now, my "correct" measured pole length has just felt long to me - as you say, preference.

Definitely good to see you all!

And as for individual preferences ... I tried using shorter poles, and it put me in the back seat, not helped me get forward. In certain circumstances, I like to have the tip of my upshill pole able to barely touch the snow (hand forward, but pole pointed back), and the shorter length made me have to reach back a little. It was a disaster. I don't always ski like that, of course (with the tips grazing), but there is some sort of antenna effect that helps my balance in "interesting" terrain.

I don't know if any of that made sense. Anyway, I do have adjustable poles, I need to remember them and experiment a bit some day.

abc

Banned
I'm pretty sure it's more about personal preference than anything else.

Think about it, if the pole is a bit too long (within reason), all you have to to do is to bend your elbow just a tad more so your hands are higher. Then the pole would be the right length!

But for people who're having trouble getting forward, I can definitely see a shorten pole could be helpful aid.

For myself, I know I have a tendency to drop my forearm (almost straight elbow) so my hands are too low. (same problem when I play any badminton/racket ball/tennis, dropping my racket instead of holding them higher at the ready) That is most noticeable in moguls though not so much in steeps (I'm pretty good at staying forward on groomers, even steep ones)

For the time being, I'm going to use a shorter pole to just get the feel of correct pole use in bumps. I figure once I "got" the correct pole action, I might be able to work on the bend elbow part to get back to "normal" length. So, I see it more as a training tool. So instead of cutting down my existing pole, I'll just get a shorter one in the mean time. Poles are relatively cheap anyway.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely good to see you all!

In certain circumstances, I like to have the tip of my upshill pole able to barely touch the snow (hand forward, but pole pointed back), and the shorter length made me have to reach back a little. It was a disaster. I don't always ski like that, of course (with the tips grazing), but there is some sort of antenna effect that helps my balance in "interesting" terrain.

Interesting. For me, letting the tip graze is always accompanied by a turned shoulder, so it's something to avoid entirely. It sounds like you're much more comfortable in proper form than I am, so you can probably move more freely in ways that would revert me to bad habits I'm still resisting.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting. For me, letting the tip graze is always accompanied by a turned shoulder, so it's something to avoid entirely. It sounds like you're much more comfortable in proper form than I am, so you can probably move more freely in ways that would revert me to bad habits I'm still resisting.

And I should say I am not recommending that one should do this! I don't really ski with it grazing, I just like to have the ability to touch every so often. I'm sure it's not the right thing to do. :-D It's just something I do, and I don't think it is screwing me up too much (unless the pole is too short, lol).

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And I should say I am not recommending that one should do this! I don't really ski with it grazing, I just like to have the ability to touch every so often. I'm sure it's not the right thing to do. :-D It's just something I do, and I don't think it is screwing me up too much (unless the pole is too short, lol).

If you had told me when I was first learning to ski that one of my biggest challenges 2 decades later would be poles - I do believe I'd have laughed in your face.

bitoffluff

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Shorter for steeps forces me to get forward. It helps break me out of traverse mode.

me too! I was advised by a really expert mogul skiing friend to shorten poles and it really helped - i went down by about 2cm. Whats that for you north americans? An inch?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
me too! I was advised by a really expert mogul skiing friend to shorten poles and it really helped - i went down by about 2cm. Whats that for you north americans? An inch?

Less than an inch! I went roughly from from 115cm to 110. It seems to have helped me.

carrieme

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
+1 for adjustable ski poles!

Shortening the poles makes SUCH a huge difference in getting my weight in the proper position the bumps.

It also doubles as trekking poles for when I go snowshoeing. :becky:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I can see shortening poles for bumps. But to me it seems counter intuitive to shorten them for the steeps. I would a longer pole would help you reach farther down the hill. ?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna