• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Plus-size skier chat

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Hey all! I feel like the subject of being a larger female skier has come up in many threads lately, do I thought I would just make a place for taling about experiences, gear, clothes, whatever.

There's no scale at the door, LOL, so if you think of yourself as a larger skier, all are welcome! But let's agree that we're not here to talk down about bodies (our own or anyone else's.)

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Outwear- I have found Columbia to be plus-size friendly, warm and comfortable. I have the omniheat ski pants and the Whirlibird IV interchange coat that have kept me warm in below zero windchill the last couple weeks. (Granted we ski for only like half a day at a tiny place where round trip up the lift and back down is 15 minutes total... if I make LOTS of turns. Haha. But my husband was cold on the lift and I wasn't!)

I am getting ready to look for longer skis this season, so any tips others have about skis that are known to be better for heavier skiers, bring it!

RoseSki

Certified Ski Diva
Love this thread, @Knitjenious !

Did a little looking around based on your post, and I was both appreciative of Columbia's approach ( https://www.columbia.com/plus-size-ski-clothes.html ; and Gert Boyle almost certainly would be a Ski Diva!), and also struck by the sold-out plus sizes in this pant . You would think companies would catch on that snow pant sell-outs in larger sizes reflect actual people who want to participate in these sports and would be great customers if sizing was inclusive and available...

newboots

Angel Diva
I know there was a thread somewhere where a Diva was starting her own business making ski outerwear - but I can't find it! Business Diva, where are you?

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
outdoor research is great about having inclusive sizing. Their snowcrew pants come in lengths, short, regular and tall and sizes xs-xxxl. https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/womens-snowcrew-pants-283206

I also bought their snowcrew jacket it covers my behind. It is a relaxed fit, so roomy and comfortable to fit lots of layers.

Pic to show how it looks on my and not a model. Lol. By far it is the best outerwear I have owned. (Aside from my Arc'teryx (sp) pants.

Screenshot_20220130-175302~2.png

brooksnow

Angel Diva
Excellent article! It definitely hit a nerve:

Just last week I went to the Patagonia store in Freeport, ME. There was exactly one XXL women's technical ski coat in the store. There were many, many men's high end coats in XXL and 3XL. REI is just as bad, with so many extended sizes for men and very few choices for women in the stores. Why is it that it's expected that large men are active and athletic but not expected that larger women are? Frustrating!

My husband just asked what I was typing so much about. When I read him the previous paragraph he said, "I don't get that at all. Women are much more likely to spend money on that #### than men. And if men are getting new stuff, it's probably bought by women." Lol. Our daughter knew he was looking for a new ski jacket a couple years ago and bought his current coat when she saw a good one while shopping at Sierra.

My current ski coat is an XXL Eddie Bauer. The zippers are falling apart, and I may have to replace them because I can't find a new jacket that I like that fits.

Also, while I'm ranting, many brands with women's larger sizes don't have room for larger boobs.

For my uniform coat I had the choice of men's that had room for my boobs (because classic athletic men have huge shoulders) but was too tight around my hips or women's that fit my hips but was too tight around my boobs. Frustrating!

You can look at the diva east pics from Saddleback to see that while I am nowhere near svelte, my size doesn't make me stand out in a crowd.

And just in case a manufacturer is reading and questioning if people my size really need quality outerwear, last season I was on the hill 115 days. Today was day 46 this season.

brooksnow

Angel Diva
@Sheena That outfit looks great on you! And, more importantly, nice matching edge angles!

I hadn't seen any OR jackets in my size. Surprise, surprise (not) the Snowcrew is the only one of 10 ski jackets that comes in XXL or XXXL. I'd make an immediate mess of the nearly white that looks so good on you, I look horrible in teal, and black is more blah than I am hoping for. There are 7 mens ski jackets, 6 come in XXL and one in XXXL. My frustration continues.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Sheena That outfit looks great on you! And, more importantly, nice matching edge angles!

I hadn't seen any OR jackets in my size. Surprise, surprise (not) the Snowcrew is the only one of 10 ski jackets that comes in XXL or XXXL. I'd make an immediate mess of the nearly white that looks so good on you, I look horrible in teal, and black is more blah than I am hoping for. There are 7 mens ski jackets, 6 come in XXL and one in XXXL. My frustration continues.

All of my "old" jackets are medium, but they are snug on me with NO ROOM for any extra layers. I read the reviews how the snowcrew jacket ran large, and some complaints that it was boxy. One reviewer said that they usually get an XL, but ended up with a medium, so I got the medium and crossed my fingers hoping it would actually run large. For the first time EVER I can fit many extra layers under my jacket and not feel stuffed and can still easily zip up the jacket. Plus it is longer in the back of the jacket, and covers my behind. Other jackets I have owned sit around or just below my waist and I always feel like I get a cold gap.

I am thrilled with the pants since I am short and heavy, they fit far better than any pants I have ever owned. I personally like that they are baggier in the legs (which as a a complaint in some of the reviews).

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
That was Nobody's Princess in Australia that was already mentioned. They are having delays getting product out the to Kickstarter supporters.
Like everything else.... my Crate and Barrel sofa from August still hasn't come.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Another plus-size skier here but I'm considered "petite" as I'm short. I have a lot of Columbia (pants and jackets - love their omni heat stuff) but I've also started getting Obermeyer pants - sometimes you can find the fun prints in the larger sizes and they come in short length. I've also got Boulder Gear jackets and Killtech jackets. My biggest whine is a lot of the plus size stuff only comes in black or other dreary colors. I don't even look in ski shops - everything is online. At a Columbia outlet, a salesperson told me they can't keep the plus-size stuff in stock. It flies out the door.
I wear Lands' End Thermaskin base layers - Lands End has the only plus-size base layers that are affordable and the tops come in a turtleneck. I have a short fiber allergy so I'm leary of spending the money on Smart Wool though I do wear their socks - Men's XL - I boil the feet to shrink to fit - wish I didn't have to do that. Eddie Bauer and LL Bean are starting offer some of their tech gear in plus-sizes. Mid-layer - I have 1/4 zip fleeces from Eddie Bauer and LL Bean and I have some closely guarded Marker men's fleece-lined leggings and some from a company called Avalanche but I'm not sure they're in business anymore. Marker doesn't make these pants anymore. I got some of Lands' End fleece lined legging that seem pretty warm.

I shouldn't whine - at least I don't have to wear mens' stuff any more except for socks. It's good that more and more companies are dipping their toes into plus size outdoor clothing.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
I realize I should have put some sources -
Peter Glenn - https://www.peterglenn.com/ - Obermeyer pants and Killtech jackets - Boulder Gear too
Amazon - Obermeyer pants and Boulder Gear Jackets - I think you can order from Boulder Gear direct but I haven't done it - https://bouldergear.com/
Skis.com - In the past I've gotten Columbia and Obermeyer stuff but they've changed their web site and no longer have anything more than XL. I hope they go back. I also used to be able to get stuff from Sierra Trading but after TJ Max bought them - the amt of plus stuff shrank dramatically.
Columbia - I buy direct from them

Here's me in my purple Boulder Gear jacket and flowered Obermeyer pants.

IMG_1801.JPG

Amie H

Angel Diva
I'm not technically plus size, but in the larger size range(l/xl) and want to second the remark about jackets not accommodating larger busts. I am a DD. For an insulated jacket that was large enough in the bust for me (even though I wear 2 sports bras when I ski or do any exercise) I bought a size larger than I need elsewhere (shoulders/waist.) So it's boxy, but at least not snug anywhere.

One activewear sizing I've been very happy with for larger busts is Land's End swimwear (specifically the tugless tank) which you can order by clothing & bust size (ex: 14DD.)

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Love reading this thread and seeing everyone provide support and share their secrets! My daughter is large busted and does very well with tops/sports bras from Athleta. They have a nice array of their quality fitness/lounge wear in 1X-3X.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love Columbia, too. I have one of their omi-heat jackets and its really great.
I've found LL Bean to be slightly generous in their sizing, though haven't seen much in women's xxl. My skiing "shell" is really just the outer layer of a Bean 3-in-one jacket that is nice and roomy without the fleece inner jacket.
Also, weirdly, the Burton Vida snowboard pants run quite big, which is great for me; I like also that they don't look baggy.

I sometimes give up and go for men's sizes for technical clothing, but that's always an expensive compromise. It's really annoying that XXL isn't a more common women's size. As many here have said: I don't get it. There's obviously a market.

Don't even get me started on women's athletic footwear sizing ...

Here's me wearing the Bean jacket and Vidas this afternoon

Boarding at Ascutney.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna