• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Plus-size skier chat

RoseSki

Certified Ski Diva
What a great first-person piece. The author also shared good news about some brands:

"A few brands, like Columbia, Outdoor Research, and The North Face, have been increasing the size range of the technical gear they offer. The North Face even has a technical pair of bibs (the Holy Grail of ski clothing) with vents that go up to 3XL this year, available in a color other than black. (Outdoor Research to expand its line for Fall and Winter 2021 to include up to XXXL, and went even further with its Spring 2022 line, launching a plus-size collection featuring 1X-3X and 16W-24W with proportionally more room at the bust and waist.)"

Amie H

Angel Diva
I also read that article. She did not mention Mountain Warehouse which offers sizes up to US 20 or 24, I believe, in ski and hiking and other activity-oriented clothing. That said, many of their items run large. Most of my "ski pants" (they are actually thermal lined hiking pants in a short length but wide enough at the cuff to accommodate a ski boot) are from there. They are a UK brand but have some brick and mortar retail stores in the US. They offer some styles with technical features with good quality and great pricing. Other styles for the once-a-year ski holiday person are less technical, but the prices are terrific as are the wide range of sizes.

I've also noticed that Eddie Bauer has many more items in XXL and women's plus sizes than in the past.

Good news for folks trying to get outside looking for the gear to get out there in!

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
I also read that article. She did not mention Mountain Warehouse which offers sizes up to US 20 or 24, I believe, in ski and hiking and other activity-oriented clothing. That said, many of their items run large. Most of my "ski pants" (they are actually thermal lined hiking pants in a short length but wide enough at the cuff to accommodate a ski boot) are from there. They are a UK brand but have some brick and mortar retail stores in the US. They offer some styles with technical features with good quality and great pricing. Other styles for the once-a-year ski holiday person are less technical, but the prices are terrific as are the wide range of sizes.
I love Mountain Warehouse for value outdoor items! I got hiking boots for myself and my daughter there and was pleased with the quality and comfort for price.

alicie

Angel Diva
I found another ski shop in the uk plusski.com. They stock the large dare2b stuff.

mountain warehouse is good but I bought a ski jacket, which was lovely but it didn’t have any pockets apart from one inside one, which is just totally useless.

I find it difficult as I’m not just xxl, I’m closer to 4xl unless it’s like ski gear then I’m like 7xl. I’m a 26-30uk depending on the brand, which I think is 22-26 us sizes. I can only jus5 get in on the ski gear.

columbia here is useless just looked on the Columbia us site and it’s got so much stuff, here there’s like 10 things, you guys get over a hundred. :(

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Probably good timing that Maria of Nobody's Princess released this on the blog:

I wouldn't describe myself as plus size being US10-12, but I do remember well the trouble finding pants that fit my thighs and brick-shaped body as they all seem to be based on a standard model which they size up and down, but don't worry about the change in proportions too much (edit, having a look online, my size goes up to 18 depending on the brand)

Jackets are also problematic with wide shoulders and boobs; I don't want to wear stuff that looks like a box and sits right on the fattest part of my arse, I want stuff that is functional, fitted and looks good. I love the look of my Nils jacket, but I can't move my arms too well, and the wide shouldered ones just sit like potato sacks around the middle; I'm at the point of buying something larger and seeing if a tailor can actually make it fit me now.

Last edited:

alicie

Angel Diva
Well after trying 3 ski jackets I hit lucky on the 4th. Dare2b mens 7xl from theshortskisop.com. I tried a womens size 30 dare2b and it fitted round the middle but was a good 4-6 inches too short in the body. Which is weird. Bit disappointed at that as whilst I’m not that into pink it was a beautiful bright pink.
But anyhow I got a lovely blue one with a neon yellow zip. Should have just bought the mens one in the first place but I was being optimistic lol.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Late arrival here. All I have to add is I've been exclusively buying Eddie Bauer ski clothes since 2003. During that time I went from 150 lbs to 230. Now I'm on the way back down, I'm will be getting to re-visit the older outfits. I will miss last season's coat. It was my favorite. I actually might wear it anyway until it looks forlorn. My prior pants are a different story.

tartegnin

Certified Ski Diva
Excellent article! It definitely hit a nerve:

Just last week I went to the Patagonia store in Freeport, ME. There was exactly one XXL women's technical ski coat in the store. There were many, many men's high end coats in XXL and 3XL. REI is just as bad, with so many extended sizes for men and very few choices for women in the stores. Why is it that it's expected that large men are active and athletic but not expected that larger women are? Frustrating!

My husband just asked what I was typing so much about. When I read him the previous paragraph he said, "I don't get that at all. Women are much more likely to spend money on that #### than men. And if men are getting new stuff, it's probably bought by women." Lol. Our daughter knew he was looking for a new ski jacket a couple years ago and bought his current coat when she saw a good one while shopping at Sierra.

My current ski coat is an XXL Eddie Bauer. The zippers are falling apart, and I may have to replace them because I can't find a new jacket that I like that fits.

Also, while I'm ranting, many brands with women's larger sizes don't have room for larger boobs.

For my uniform coat I had the choice of men's that had room for my boobs (because classic athletic men have huge shoulders) but was too tight around my hips or women's that fit my hips but was too tight around my boobs. Frustrating!

You can look at the diva east pics from Saddleback to see that while I am nowhere near svelte, my size doesn't make me stand out in a crowd.

And just in case a manufacturer is reading and questioning if people my size really need quality outerwear, last season I was on the hill 115 days. Today was day 46 this season.
Hear hear on your uniform comments! To get one that fits I’m in largest Mens size - too long and too baggy in some places. If ski resorts want to live up to their inclusivity rhetoric they need to accommodate a range of instructor bodies. We are not all 6’2” Swedes

Tennessee

Angel Diva
This is a good and helpful thread. I am short and have a large derriere (but average bust) and have NEVER had ski pants that fit very well. EVER!! And I've been skiing for about 46 years. So this year I was determined to fix that. So... I took on a part time job... the job of ordering and returning ski pants and bibs! I ordered my first set of bibs from Backcountry (Helly Hansen Odin bibs size L) and they were too small so they went back. This went on with another set of bibs, two pairs of pants from Amazon, a pair of pants from Eddie Bauer, and then another pair and a set of bibs from Eddie Bauer. I realized I really needed a SHORT length and Eddie Bauer offers short lengths! What I happily ended up with were two pairs of ski pants that I'm really excited to have found. They are:

Obermeyer Bliss pants in a 16S (short). These will be my good waterproof pants for cold wet days. The insulation is thin but warm and they are very waterproof (15,000 mm). The waist is too big but has an adjustment that works and they are slightly longer than most other "short" pants I tried but still much better than regular. Got them on Amazon for a good price! They are still available there I believe.

Eddie Bauer WP Guide Pro Ski Tour pants in PXL (petite). These will be my warmer day pants and they are STRETCHY! So comfortable. Just the right length. Again, the waist is too big and there is no adjustment but I got a stretchy belt and that should work fine with the belt loops.

Hope this might be helpful to someone. I need a jacket that fits. Something for a short woman with an average top and large bottom. I like my puffy Mammut (in profile pic) with shell but it's not very flattering.

Hope ya'll don't have to take on this particular part time job and work quite as hard as I did to find ski clothes that fit!!!!! Best Regards, Julia

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey ladies - I just came across a new brand, Halfdays, that seems to offer styles that fit us up to a 2X (which appears to be a generous 2X). Anyone know this brand? These are definitely pricey from what i see, but perhaps a worthwhile investment?

I like the option to have colors other than just old lady rose pink, teal or black. Styles are all solid colors - I am loving the true red, olive and dark green personally.

The only thing I haven't seen in the more technical insulated styles is stretch, which is something I look for in my ski gear.
I want this jacket in red, but I want to see it without the belt! Anyone know this brand?
https://www.halfdays.com/products/aston-jacket?variant=43074857271521
092822HALFDAYS_SA3922_2000x.jpg

Divegirl

Angel Diva
@Blondeinabmw - thank you for that link. I don't know anything about them but their stuff looks interesting. Their bibs come in short but the price - ooh - not yet.
I found this place on plus size skiers facebook page - https://www.ullapopken.com/en/ - their ski stuff looks very cool. Don't know anything about them other than they seem to cater to plus sized/curvy women. They also popped on searches I did for formal wedding dresses.

Idahoskier

Diva in Training
I actually ended up with an entire backcountry "kit"
I stumbled on Backcountry bibs and finally found some that fit. In addition to being plus size, tall and a long body, I have to accommodate a Don Joy knee brace. Very happy with Backcountry so far. I’ve finally entered the stage of life where I don’t care about fashion or looks but I do care about function. Also went with an Armada Anorak and wow talk about comfortable skiing. Fortunately or unfortunately being tall and square (thank you European genes) I can wear men’s outerwear which tend to come in more options and better prices. Backcountry 3/4 baselayer bottoms are also the bomb!

mitsiktity

Certified Ski Diva
Just chiming in as today Nobody's Princess launched their winter range for 2023 (Australian Winter) and the pant size range has increase - so they are now stocking a Size US2 through to US20, in three leg lengths - Short (27" inseam) Regular (32" inseam) and Tall (37" inseam).

Slowly but surely I want to increase the plus size offering!

Also, for the ladies who are more of an apple body shape and hold weight around their tummies, there is a new shape available too. :D

Attachments

• Mila Regular Violet Snow Pant Size24.jpg
    Mila Regular Violet Snow Pant Size24.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • Mila Tall Aqua Snow Pant Size16.jpg
    Mila Tall Aqua Snow Pant Size16.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • Mila Regular Black Snow Pant Size16.jpg
    Mila Regular Black Snow Pant Size16.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9

shadoj

Angel Diva
I love that violet-bluish color! Ooh, a 27" inseam? That's almost me at 26", and waaay shorter than "short" length jeans! I want fun pants like the rest of the Divas, too! I know I'm not exactly their target market, but I love following this thread for the innovations in fit and function and style!

mitsiktity

Certified Ski Diva
I love that violet-bluish color! Ooh, a 27" inseam? That's almost me at 26", and waaay shorter than "short" length jeans! I want fun pants like the rest of the Divas, too! I know I'm not exactly their target market, but I love following this thread for the innovations in fit and function and style!
No such thing as a target market - we are all unique!

And yes - 27", so once you pop our boots on - should be perfect!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly