• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Plus-size and petite ski pants

TsuKata

Certified Ski Diva
I am plus-size (women's 20-22, depending on sizing) and petite (26" inseam).

So far, I've bought my ski gear from junonia.com. I buy almost all my sportswear from them, as they're the only plus-size sportswear dealer that I've found. However, their ski pants are *way* too long for me. Getting them hemmed seems like it's going to be difficult (although I admittedly haven't asked or tried yet) because they've got zippers and linings and such.

Does anyone on here have either a recommendation for a source for short plus pants or experience with getting ski pants tailored/hemmed?

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I too suffer w/the short issue. I never tried hemming any of my hiking/skiing gear. I just usually have super long pants always bunched up some how. Every now and then I can find a 30 inseam in EMS brand stuff and right now

I have mountaineering bib pants EMS brand that I use for sking b/c there not too long. The are short enough and a bib so I don't have to worry about too much aroud the middle :smile:. The website usually offers more sizes and lengths ems.com.

I'll be checking out this post to see if you get better feedback b/c I'm always trying to find petite length as well. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For what it's worth:

I have a friend who used to do a lot of outerwear alterations professionally. As you've observed, the bottoms are not plain, so cutting them off there isn't a good plan. Another issue is the "articulated" knees, which aren't likely to be in the right place for you when your legs are much to short for the way the pants are built. (boot cut jeans -- look nice on the leg, except that they have to bunch up at my knees to fit right!)

The way Rayanne shortens ski pants is to cut them off in the middle of the leg and sew the bottom back on!

Kano

SnowDancer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Specialty Outdoors

I empathize... I'm not short overall (about 5'6"-7") but I am a bit short-legged; more of my height is in my torso. I even have trouble buying regular slacks/jeans/etc. if they don't come in lengths.

For repairs, alterations, etc., I (we) can highly recommend Penny Schywn @ Specialty Outdoors.

https://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/

Last year my SO took a chance and bought a pair of Arcteryx bibs at an amazing online clearance sale price. Well, they fit - except the lower legs of the pants were too narrow to go over his ski boots (!) He'd used Penny's services before to replace a zipper in a favorite ski jacket; she also repaired a pair of pants cut/sliced courtesy of the skis on an out-of-control skier who crashed into him. Well, she came through beautifully on this task as well. She added gussets/panels to the bibs from the knees down in a such a way that you'd never know it was not the original construction.

Please consider contacting her. We have no interest other than being very satisfied and appreciative customers.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another thought: My experience as a petite is that pant length for ski gear is a little odd since unless the articulation is really an issue, a little extra length isn't as big a deal for ski pants as it is for street clothes. Granted, you don't want the pant so long that it's dragging on the snow, but pants that have seemed long to me when trying them on wind up working for me when I have the boots, etc., on. You don't mention whether you've actually used the pants for skiing, and if you have then ignore this. Have you skied in the ski pants before and then found the length to actually be problematic, or are you basing the way too long length on how the pant fits with your street shoes? If it's not too much of a hassle, I'd try them on with the ski boots to see if they still remain way too long. :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
I've always had to get my pants shortened by about 4". The knees are ok, so I get a seamstress to shorten the outer pant only. Last pair she even replaced the snaps at the bottom of the cuff. I usually end up with little edge protector though. This specialty outdoors looks like an answer to petite problems for those of you in the states.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I empathize... I'm not short overall (about 5'6"-7") but I am a bit short-legged; more of my height is in my torso. I even have trouble buying regular slacks/jeans/etc. if they don't come in lengths.

For repairs, alterations, etc., I (we) can highly recommend Penny Schywn @ Specialty Outdoors.

https://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/

Last year my SO took a chance and bought a pair of Arcteryx bibs at an amazing online clearance sale price. Well, they fit - except the lower legs of the pants were too narrow to go over his ski boots (!) He'd used Penny's services before to replace a zipper in a favorite ski jacket; she also repaired a pair of pants cut/sliced courtesy of the skis on an out-of-control skier who crashed into him. Well, she came through beautifully on this task as well. She added gussets/panels to the bibs from the knees down in a such a way that you'd never know it was not the original construction.

Please consider contacting her. We have no interest other than being very satisfied and appreciative customers.

OMG, thank you SO MUCH. I just joined this board last night. It's always nice to know that things are working for people.

Notes on shortening pants - if you know you will need something hemmed -
-look for a straight pant without articulation on the knees
-cost for altering typically goes up with the amount of features.
-pants that have a gaiter attached to the lining; it's no big deal to move the gaiter up IF you know what you are doing
-stay away from a three layer, all welded construction if you are going to need alterations as that stuff is impossible to work with.
-make sure whoever you contact is comfortable with technical fabrics and construction.

geargrrl

TsuKata

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the recommendation! I may give that site a try. The ski pants I have are long enough that they are bunched to the point of discomfort above my boot, and if I let them sit below the top of my boot, they drag sometimes behind my heel. They don't have any difference in them between the knee and the other parts, though, so that's not a problem.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the recommendation! I may give that site a try. The ski pants I have are long enough that they are bunched to the point of discomfort above my boot, and if I let them sit below the top of my boot, they drag sometimes behind my heel. They don't have any difference in them between the knee and the other parts, though, so that's not a problem.

Bleh. Yeah, that does sound annoying enough to do something about it!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Beyond clothing does mainly soft shell and fleece. They've recently added a hardshell jacket style to thier line. You go with their design, and add or subtract certain features. They are supposed to do a nice job.

gg

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found 1X, 2X & 3X pants at REI this year - Columbia Crystall Pass (extended sizes). The standard XL is too tight and the 1X is a little too loose (can't win), but they are comfortable. Nils (super expensive) has a few pants in 18 short and thier pants are easy to hem, no zippers or stuff on the leg.

Most the time, I just roll up the bottom to keep them from getting caught in my binding. I just have to remember that there will be a ton of snow in the cuff that will need to be dumped before I take them off.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Chet out some of the Marker soft pants....I managed to fit in a size 16 in the low-rise hip-fit version (I'm also a 20ish) and they are only a little bit too long.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga