• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Please, take head injuries seriously.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I saw the following on Facebook and thought it was something we could all learn from. Please, if you hit your head, take it seriously:

Last year while practicing for a L3 PSIA exam, I fell down the hill and smacked my head on the very hard man-made snow surface. I was wearing a helmet, skiing on a Blue run at a moderate speed; practicing parallel turns with my group. I must have hit a clump of ice and took an abrupt fall. I immediately experienced a severe headache. My colleagues all asked if I was ok. I said, “Yes,” that I just had a bad headache. I left my group of 8 other instructors with whom I had been skiing and headed for home. I did not seek medical attention. I thought I just had a headache. On the way home, I had a difficult time staying in my lane on the freeway. I did not ski for about a week, but then returned to finish the season teaching at a major resort here in Utah.

On April 13th, we had a big snowstorm. I headed to Brighton Resort to enjoy the new snow with friends who are expert skiers. Again, on an easy Blue run, covered with some of Utah’s finest powder, I had another fall. This time my left ski hit a submerged rock straight on. I did a forward 360-degree somersault. At the 180-degree point, my head hit the snow very hard. I continued my somersault, landed on my skis and continued skiing. Of course, I was wearing my helmet. I was skiing fairly slowly. The conditions were ungroomed chopped up snow. I met up with my friends who had taken a slightly different path down the mountain and did not see my fall. They asked several times if I was ok. Again, I told them I had a bad headache, but I was ok. We skied one more run and all decided we were done for the day.

I headed to my car, laboriously took off my boots and started the drive down the canyon. This time, I really had trouble staying in my lane and controlling my speed. As I approached the S-Curves in Big Cottonwood Canyon with a posted 25 mph speed limit, I noticed I was going about 75 mph. I slowed down in time to make it through the curves and continued home. I had a hard time finding my house as I approached my neighborhood.

I went in my house, went to bed and slept for about 4 hours. I woke up with a severe headache. I was starting to lose my ability to walk and control my hands. It was approaching evening. All the doctor’s offices were closed. I called a family member who is a doc in another state. He recommended I have my wife drive me to the local brand new hospital to the Emergency Room. We did that.

The ER doc, himself an experienced skier as well, sent me in for a CT scan immediately. After the scan he came to talk with me. He explained that I had two subdural hematomas, one from each fall. I learned later that the mortality rate for this particular type of injury is 60-80%. He explained my injuries were so serious that they did not even treat them at this hospital. He had ordered me an ambulance that would take me to the major regional medical center where they had a brain trauma and surgery unit.

Thus started a 10 month journey that has included two brain surgeries, 2 months in various ICU units and rehab hospitals, 7 months of home confinement, and 3 months of self-directed cognitive, speech, physical and occupational therapy and recovery.

The good news is I am nearly fully recovered. I am teaching again. I have learned a lot.

I did have three brushes with death. I spent countless thousands of dollars on medical care. If I, or my colleagues, had insisted that I go to the doctor after the first fall, my season would have been over for that year, but I could most likely have avoided the second more serious injury that nearly took my life.

The key messages I would like to share with this group from this experience are as follows: If you are skiing or bicycling with someone and they bang their head, take them to competent medical care immediately. Don’t let them talk you out of it. Neither you nor they are competent to decide how serious the injury might be. You can have a potentially fatal accident with a helmet on. If you can, get them a toboggan ride down the mountain. Skiing with a potentially life threatening injury is not a good idea. Also, there is a new safety standard for helmets known as MIPS. Helmets that meet the MIPS standard absorb part of the energy that would otherwise be absorbed by your brain. Get one for you and all your loved ones that ride on snow.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ever since Natasha Richardson I've been worried crazy about smacking my head. Have been into the ER several times since her death. And I just replaced a helmet that had taken two good hits. (I know I should have done it after the first one, but they are so expensive! In fact, it was only that there were faint cracks in the paint that alarmed me and I only noticed that because some ear padding was moved.).

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Good to note thank you for the reminder. We have MIPS helmets as well, but good reminder they are simply tools. We need to be vigilant...

How scary. Great that he is recovering and can pass along his wisdom to the rest of us.

mustski

Angel Diva
DS got a concussion skateboarding 3 1/2 years ago now... no helmet ... sigh. He lost his sense of smell and, with that loss, his sense of taste is permanently altered. For example, to him, whiskey is sweet. He is adapting, but those senses will never return. The damage is permanent, but it could have been much worse.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have had two concussions over my lifetime (and one more bump I wonder about ...). One crashing one of my horses while training when I was 13. One getting hit by the boom racing sailboats about 20 years ago during a botched gybe. As I age I DO wonder how those are going to affect me.

Agree with all: don't mess with head injuries. Also, DO replace/update your helmet every so often.

Scribble

Angel Diva
This scares me so much! I've had a couple of concussions over my life, one from horseback riding and another when I went into the boards while playing Ice hockey. On our feb ski trip, my skis tunneled in some deep snow and I bashed my helmet badly enough to put a crumpled groove in one side. I lucked out with no concussion symptoms, just a sore neck. I bought a MIPS helmet on our way back to the hotel.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think this is also a great time to remind everyone, you probably need to replace your helmet. If you've taken a fall where it's protected your noggin, head back to the ski shop and replace it! If you dropped your helmet in such a way that mimics a potentially dangerous fall, replace your helmet! If you've been fortunate enough to have made it 5 years without hitting your head or dropping your helmet, it is also time to replace your helmet!
Do not pinch pennies on your brain. If your helmet has done it's job, it cannot do it again. Just replace it.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One year some time back I took a hard fall backwards at the beginning of the season. I bonked my head hard, and was a bit disoriented as I stood up. But then I felt OK pretty fast and gave it no further thought.

At the end of the season, or maybe at the beginning of the next, I was adjusting the cloth padding on the inside of that helmet and noticed that the body of the helmet had two cracks in it, each starting at the outer edge, one on the left and one on the right. The two cracks were long -- they met in the center, with only a half inch between them.

I'd been skiing around for an entire season with a broken helmet held together by a half inch, and didn't know it. Don't be like me. Check your helmet from the inside for cracks after a fall.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@liquidfeet - that reminds me to pull apart my helmet. New this year, of course. It arrived from Utah with a little dent. GRRRR (at least I have a ski-tube for those)

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are there any recycling options for old ski helmets? I'll be getting my 3rd new helmet at the end of this season and it seems like a lot of plastic to just throw away.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I crashed on my mountain bike last summer, and whacked me head pretty hard, but my knee and elbow were much worse. I didn't have a headache, didn't have any noggin symptoms at all, finished a 13 mile ride with mostly climbing left. Then 3 days later, my vision got all jacked up. I was seeing double. I had to tilt my head sideways to see straight. Made an emergency appt at the eye doc, and the first thing he asked is, "have you hit your head recently?" Well, huh!

Thankfully, it resolved by the next day. But, yeah, it made me realize even a hit that doesn't seem that bad, can be!

novium

Certified Ski Diva
There's not a lot even the newer helmets can do to protect you from concussions. They're still most valuable in protecting your skull, not necessarily your brain. I don't think enough people appreciate that, and end up being way too blase about head injuries on the slopes as a result. (Not to mention, I think some people think it's magic.)

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's not a lot even the newer helmets can do to protect you from concussions. They're still most valuable in protecting your skull, not necessarily your brain. I don't think enough people appreciate that, and end up being way too blase about head injuries on the slopes as a result. (Not to mention, I think some people think it's magic.)

An excellent point. Helmets can never stop the brain from banging against the skull. If you're going fast and your head stops accelerating, that's two crashes: brain to front of skull and brain to back of skull.

Fwiw, the concussion protocol for students where I used to work involved eliminating stimuli; that means if you bang your head, go to the doctor, obviously, but also don't read, watch tv, look at your cell phone, do complex tasks or look at a computer screen.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a riding helmet as a kid where I remember the tag saying something to the effect of don't do anything to your helmet that you wouldn't do to your own head. Helmets, from what I remember being taught as a tiny equestrian, are meant to be less durable than your head; the helmet is supposed to break when you hit your head.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for sharing. After reading this, I made the decision to upgrade our current Smith helmets to updated versions with MIPS. I was able to find two 2019 helmets for $105 each online at skis dot com. That’s less than what we spent on non MIPS helmets 8 years ago.

Soujan

Angel Diva
I take head trauma very seriously, especially since both my mother and husband have traumatic brain injuries.

jumperlass

Certified Ski Diva
Should I be looking for specific things in kids' vs adults' helmets? And how big does a kid get before switching to adult helmets? I'm sorry if this is so basic that it's been covered multiple times somewhere else.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Two weeks ago an acquaintance of mine's son fell down the stairs and thought nothing of it. Got up and laughed at his embarrassment and went on his way. He died two days later from a brain bleed he didn't know he sustained. He was 30 years old. It's not a badge of honor to be the tough guy who is fine. If you hit your head, PLEASE go get a CT scan.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna