• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Padded shorts recommendations?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I get out of my shorts as fast as possible. Mostly I keep a knee length skirt in my bag---- pull it on, drop the sweaty shorts, sneak on panties once I've got my bike shoes off. This is critical after rides that involve a car ride more than 15 minutes back to the house. I can't imagine not doing it, but lots of women watch me and say, " wow, what a good idea, never thought of that..."

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get out of my shorts as fast as possible. Mostly I keep a knee length skirt in my bag---- pull it on, drop the sweaty shorts, sneak on panties once I've got my bike shoes off. This is critical after rides that involve a car ride more than 15 minutes back to the house. I can't imagine not doing it, but lots of women watch me and say, " wow, what a good idea, never thought of that..."
Reminding me,once again. I have a skirt exactly like that, for the same purpose, but it has gone AWOL. Must find or replace.

altagirl

Staff member

I do that too, but even just riding time (and standing around talking in the middle of the trail time) can be hours. A lift served day is regularly 7 hours or so, even if you change before and after in the parking lot.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went for several years not wearing a chamois at all and going with satiny smooth underwear instead. The plus, in my mind is that they don't hold all the sweat in that can cause chafing like a thick chamois, and they do a nice job of eliminating friction. I still wear these on rides where there will be very little uphill, or for lift served riding.

https://www.victoriassecret.com/pan...gger-panty?ProductID=263274&CatalogueType=OLS

These days I'm not riding often enough to keep by sit bones broken in without a chamois, so I'm glad I found a couple that work.

These are my other new favorites: https://www.urbanistcycling.com/index.php/product/the-brigitte/

Getting back to this ... I ordered the Brigitte as well as these very very light chamois panties:

https://www.clubrideapparel.com/collections/innerwear-women/products/jewel?variant=960734133

They both arrived today. I wasn't thrilled with the Brigitte - for my preference, they came down way too low in the front, and the chamois was wide enough that I thought it might result in the same chafing issue I've had. But really it was more the waistband being so low.

The Club Ride panties, though, I'm pretty excited about. They fit more like my regular panties do, and the chamois is tiny - well, they advertise it for 1 hour rides, so of course it is - and it doesn't touch my thighs. It's about as thick as a modestly thick panty liner, maybe. Just a touch of cushion. I've been wearing no chamois at all the last few weeks, and haven't been noticing my sit bones, but I figure this might be about right for me. Plus I like the look better than the stripes on the Brigitte. I have a 12 mile cross country out and back tomorrow, so I guess I'll have a chance to test them out!

altagirl

Staff member
Getting back to this ... I ordered the Brigitte as well as these very very light chamois panties:

https://www.clubrideapparel.com/collections/innerwear-women/products/jewel?variant=960734133

They both arrived today. I wasn't thrilled with the Brigitte - for my preference, they came down way too low in the front, and the chamois was wide enough that I thought it might result in the same chafing issue I've had. But really it was more the waistband being so low.

The Club Ride panties, though, I'm pretty excited about. They fit more like my regular panties do, and the chamois is tiny - well, they advertise it for 1 hour rides, so of course it is - and it doesn't touch my thighs. It's about as thick as a modestly thick panty liner, maybe. Just a touch of cushion. I've been wearing no chamois at all the last few weeks, and haven't been noticing my sit bones, but I figure this might be about right for me. Plus I like the look better than the stripes on the Brigitte. I have a 12 mile cross country out and back tomorrow, so I guess I'll have a chance to test them out!

I guess it should be fairly obvious that chamois fit is all about personal preference, but I pretty much have the opposite experience. I have the Brigitte and love them (pretty much tied with the My Alibi Bloomers for all time favorites). The low rise feels very comfortable for me, and I think the stripes are flattering (not that I spend any significant amount of time walking around in just chamois, but still....). I also have the club ride Jewel and I've worn them once but they feel super uncomfortable on me. The waistband sits too high, in what's the very uncomfortable spot for a waistband for me, so I constantly want to mess with where it sits and fold them over so they are lower, but that doesn't work either. And somehow I feel like they make me look really lumpy at the leg band too.

Quite obviously, YMMV. :smile:

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I need some new shorts. I hate how all my shorts have a very thin band of silicone and elastic which digs in on my ample thighs and totally gives that sausage effect. Can anyone recommend some shorts which have a wider band which don't do this? I never ride super long rides so not that fussy about chamois, something not too thick and I would like some compression if possible? My mum is going to be in the US next month so if anyone has seen any deals even better as I will get them shipped to where she is staying.

Thanks!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a ton of different shorts/chamois combos but my favorites are still my Novara from REI. I have two pair that are probably 8 years old and a new pair I just bought. I use the chamois from them under other shorts. My fav combo happens to be Cannondale shorts with the Novara liners. The liners aren't overly padded, not too tight in the waist, and not too tight on the legs. I found them to run very true to size.

https://www.rei.com/product/861452/novara-bonita-double-mountain-bike-shorts-womens#tab-reviews

altagirl

Staff member
I need some new shorts. I hate how all my shorts have a very thin band of silicone and elastic which digs in on my ample thighs and totally gives that sausage effect. Can anyone recommend some shorts which have a wider band which don't do this? I never ride super long rides so not that fussy about chamois, something not too thick and I would like some compression if possible? My mum is going to be in the US next month so if anyone has seen any deals even better as I will get them shipped to where she is staying.

Thanks!

https://www.teamestrogen.com/produc...-c1-c24-c117-atsport_01-atgrippers_07-p2.html

This website is very helpful as it actually sorts models by the type of leg gripper (including "none").

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga