• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Padded shorts recommendations?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have any recommendations for some really comfy padded shorts? Mine are okay, but I'm always open to improvement!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Two things - one, you basically get what you pay for ( cheap shorts generally aren't that great) and two, personal preference.

I know, definitive info.:rolleyes:
Pearl Izumi is one brand name that consistently gets props. I just got two pair off Chainlove, but I haven't tried them yet as an injury is keeping me off the bike.

I hate to ask, but you are going commando, right? This is one important key to bike shorts comfort: nothing between you and the chamois....

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've heard some good things about Terry T-short which I'd like to try. I have a couple of pairs of Pearl Izumi one of which was good until I shrank out of them so they're baggy and too long. The others are okay but not as good (they're low end). My coach has a pair of Specialized ones that she really likes but I think they ran more than $100 so they're too rich for my blood.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Specialized has at least three price points on their shorts, I think they go about $60, $80, $100.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Specialized has at least three price points on their shorts, I think they go about $60, $80, $100.

Yeah, but coach works at the bike shop so she has the expensive ones. I nearly choked when I saw $145 for the shorts when I looked at them.

altagirl

Staff member
My personal favorite when it comes to just spandex shorts (vs. baggy shorts) is Sugoi. I have a few pairs (Technifine maybe?) that were in the mid-range I believe - I paid at least $80 for them 6 years ago and they still feel like new and they've seen a ton of use.

OTOH, I bought some cheapo Performance shorts years ago that lasted 2 washings and fell apart.

Spend the money on something decent. Fit and feel is personal, but I think all the well known brands have something good towards the upper end of their line that will hold up for you.

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Finding the right saddle/short combination took me some time. Go to your local bike shop and find a few pairs to try on. I personally prefer an 8-8 1/2 inch inseam. Anything shorter bugs me and rides up=very annoying. Interestingly, don't automatically assume that a higher price=greater comfort.
I have a pair of Pearl Izumi's top of the line shorts and I can't wear them. They are very uncomfortable after five miles. However, their Ultrasensor shorts (a step down) are my favorite and I rotate several pairs. More padding is not necessarily a good thing.
Unfortunately like many bike (and ski!) things, it is all trial and error.
Any mid-priced short made by a reputable company is worth a shot!

-veggielasagna

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Inseam length is very personal as well. My older pair is the Ultrasensor and one of the things I don't like about it is how long it is. I prefer the length of my others which is 5 1/2 inches although I think 6 would probably be perfect for me. In fact their Short Attack short is what I'd like to try next or the Short Cut short but I'll keep my eye on sales for those.

shnu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really love my padded (really) short pants from Scott which you wear under comfortable bike shorts (knee length or 3/4). Another brand I like is Maloja, but i think, that they don't distribute "over the ocean".

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have ?8 pairs of shorts, but there's only 2 that I just love - my Cannondale Chrono in bright red, and my Primal Wear Logo shorts. Both are well made, minimally padded, nicely shaped, and the chamois is short enough in back that they very rarely get hung up on the nose of the saddle when I'm hammering standing up. The Chrono even has a perforated chamois for breathability. Aaaaahhhhh. Both are men's shorts.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wore hubby's Pearl Izumi liners yesterday (under some cheapo C9 Champion shorts from Target that are working awesomely for bike shorts...a little stretch, techy-fabric that dries quickly, longer but with stretch and they don't flare out so they don't get caught on the seat). I have to say, I liked his a lot. I'm not sure what he paid - I know he got them on SAC or chainlove.com - but they worked well for me. Very comfortable. I was skeptical because they're mens, but I have no complaints.

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OTOH, I bought some cheapo Performance shorts years ago that lasted 2 washings and fell apart.

I've got some of the higher end Performance shorts which are my favorite pair & have worn like iron. I've also got some $$$ Specialized (top of their line, can't remember the name right now) that are real sweet. The Pearlizumi Ultrasensors also felt good in the store.

The worst pair of my life is from Castelli (a hoity-toity Italian brand)--MSRP was $270. Usually you can figure you pretty much get what you pay for in bike shorts (don't sell yourself "short," right?) and the Italians know bicycling, so I figured they might be good, especially when marked down to $65. I tell you, I'd rather wear an old-fashioned dirty cloth diaper!!! These things have a chamois that absorbs all your sweat and holds it smack against your skin, then it gets sticky and squishy, and the pants are unbelieveably hot, which, of course, makes you sweat all the more. Absolutely disgusting!! I felt like I had to waddle when walking just to minimize contact--gross! A friend had the same experience with his Castelli's, and has sworn off them forever, same as I.

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hate to ask, but you are going commando, right? This is one important key to bike shorts comfort: nothing between you and the chamois....

You gotta be kidding me! I have never heard this before. You can't be serious, can you?

altagirl

Staff member
You gotta be kidding me! I have never heard this before. You can't be serious, can you?

I'm not sure if you've never heard the no underwear with bike shorts rule or if you've never heard of someone needing to ask...

But yes - absolutely, positively, 100% guaranteed...

DO NOT EVER WEAR UNDERWEAR UNDER BIKE SHORTS. The chamois is meant to go next to your skin and wearing underwear will make you chafe like you can't even imagine.

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, um, . . .

I've always worn underwear under my bike shorts. I have never heard of going camo until today. I have never done it. I have always worn underwear under my bike shorts. But I must admit, I have had some chafing issues.

Here's my question, what does one do during her period? I use tampons. That's not a problem, but I am perimenopausal, which means that my periods right now are very heavy. One super plus tampon will not make it through a two hour bike ride, so I have to supplement with pads. Do you use pads camo with the bike shorts??? That seems too weird to me.

Sorry to digress into areas that were not the original topic of this thread. Any advise or words from the wise are greatly appreciated. This forum is for women only, right?

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Lola,

I've ridden with a panty liner right in my shorts. I've never tried a maxipad. But, I imagine it would still be better to put maxi right in your shorts than it would be to wearing panties, too.

I think you will like riding commando! Less chaffing and also undies tend not to wick, so you will be a little drier.

Cheers,
Connie-Consuela

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
By the way, for those in the US, REI has already started their by Labor Day Sale and has some decent shorts for nice prices. I picked up my favorite pair of Cannondale MTB shorts there.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I've just discovered, thanks to a triathlon board I've found The Diva Cup (I know, fitting right?). I'm just finishing up my first period with it and I LOVE this thing. I can go all day without emptying so Lola you might need to do it a couple of times but I've not had one leak, not one. And I never get that with tampons. And, yes, go commando, it really is much better.

altagirl

Staff member
I used to just go with a tampon and never worried about a liner/pad, but I think I have heard that works from discussions in the women's lounge on MTBR. Also heard lots of good things about the 'keeper' (same as the 'diva cup' I believe) and such as well.

Thankfully, I've had a Mirena IUD for years now and haven't had more than a spot or two of a period in several years. (yay!)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga