• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Overcrowding at PCMR?

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
In the category of "wow, I must really be a local now" I'm very frustrated that the mountain feels very, very crowded this year vs. the last two (disclaimer: i only skied through 12/12 last year). Am I old and fussy, or are the resorts just a LOT more crowded?

Empirically I DO know that more remote workers are hiding in the mountains now (have talked to a few longer-term renters / VRBO'ers in my neighborhood who are doing this) which is frustrating bc same but I LIVE here live here and pay taxes.

I really want to ski weekdays and try to avoid the rush, but my job just doesn't allow it. Am I being whiney and afraid of crowds post-injury, or are you guys seeing this, too?

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is indeed pent up demand, as well as new people on the slopes, this season. I've just experienced that for MLK Day at my home hill. Massanutten is in northern VA. The snowstorm last week was a bit of a factor, but in general the number of cars in the parking tell a story of more people. I've been coming to Mnut for an extended MLK weekend (Fri thru Tue) for about 15 years. The change has other factors besides the pandemic because a lot of improvements have been made over the last 5 years.

Note that staffing for lifts are not as much of an issue for Mnut this season. However, it continues to be an issue for ski school. Keep in mind that what happens in the southeast is someone unique, and certainly quite different from the Rockies.

Christy

Angel Diva
Yes, it's definitely more crowded out there, especially at resorts associated with Epic and Ikon. Epic sold 2.1 million passes this year. My former home area (Crystal Mt WA, Ikon) had parking fill so many times this year (and when it's full you have to turn around and go home) that they now require parking reservations.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
@BonStarlet , you sound just like me, here in Vermont. I was over at my home mountain today, and for a weekday, it was nuts! Now maybe it's because we just had a nice snowfall and people are extending their MLK weekend. But doesn't anyone work or go to school anymore? And while we're at it, stay offa my lawn!

MissySki

Angel Diva
..which is frustrating bc same but I LIVE here live here and pay taxes.
Someone is paying for the taxes on their property as well, even if they don't own it. I'm not sure why this is a distinction for anything..? Depending how much they are paying for a long term rental, they might even be paying that even though they don't get the benefit of owning the actual property. I know when I was doing seasonal rentals (November-May) at my mountain before buying there last year I was pretty much paying enough in 6 months to more than cover the landlord's expenses on the property for the whole year.. including the taxes.

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
Someone is paying for the taxes on their property as well, even if they don't own it. I'm not sure why this is a distinction for anything..? Depending how much they are paying for a long term rental, they might even be paying that even though they don't get the benefit of owning the actual property. I know when I was doing seasonal rentals (November-May) at my mountain before buying there last year I was pretty much paying enough in 6 months to more than cover the landlord's expenses on the property for the whole year.. including the taxes.
I think they actually pay MORE taxes since not a primary residence. This is not really a distinction, but venting in the form of "stay off my lawn." EVERYTHING is super crowded. Couldn't even park at the grocery store one day last week. And they are all ALSO skiing ("get off my snow?!?!" :smile:).

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@BonStarlet , you sound just like me, here in Vermont. I was over at my home mountain today, and for a weekday, it was nuts! Now maybe it's because we just had a nice snowfall and people are extending their MLK weekend. But doesn't anyone work or go to school anymore? And while we're at it, stay offa my lawn!
I had that conversation with more than three or four people today!

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@BonStarlet
Canyons side is less crowded. PCMR never opened their slow lifts 2 spread out the crowds. 4 a more exclusive experience u, could ski the very expensive Deer Valley.
I am a weekend warrior too. If u want 2 ski Brighton this coming weekend (23rd+24th). It's a very local mountain. I will be happy 2 pick u up at a park & ski off 215 & give u my ikon discount (can't remember 20-25% off). ⛷️⛷️

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
@BonStarlet
Canyons side is less crowded. PCMR never opened their slow lifts 2 spread out the crowds. 4 a more exclusive experience u, could ski the very expensive Deer Valley.
I am a weekend warrior too. If u want 2 ski Brighton this coming weekend (23rd+24th). It's a very local mountain. I will be happy 2 pick u up at a park & ski off 215 & give u my ikon discount (can't remember 20-25% off). ⛷️⛷️
Thanks! I have looked at buying the Deer Valley season pass...but too rich for my blood. I have bought day passes (at a discounted local rate) in years past, but did not this year....b/c I wasn't sure how well skiing was going to go in general.

There were some nice days in there, but overall a strange year. The weather / snow (lack of), resort staffing issues and my own personal crap definitely (negatively) contributed. I'm hoping for a GREAT year next year, and for the mountain to feel less crowded.

FWIW - I complete agree re: Canyons. I think it is easier to get away from people than over on the PCMR side. And the BEST days I had this year were week days that i took off. I think that is a combination of the joy of taking a day off PLUS lower traffic counts on the mountain.

If we actually get snow (buoy pop on the radar!) this weekend - I may take you up on that offer. I want to demo (very late in the game) another set of skis that I'm considering buying and putting a touring set up on....

rhymeandreason

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I must be the outlier because I think it’s LESS crowded at PCMR this year. Last year was just bonkers. The parking fees have been effective. I think canyons is more crowded than last year because people who won’t take public transportation or can’t get parking at PCMR are going to canyons. I know many locals who have “discovered” canyons this year because they had only been to the pc side. I ski Sundays and one to two days during the week.

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
I must be the outlier because I think it’s LESS crowded at PCMR this year. Last year was just bonkers. The parking fees have been effective. I think canyons is more crowded than last year because people who won’t take public transportation or can’t get parking at PCMR are going to canyons. I know many locals who have “discovered” canyons this year because they had only been to the pc side. I ski Sundays and one to two days during the week.
That makes me sad! When we visit we stay over on the Canyons side and because to traverse the mountain has been a little challenging for me (maybe this year it wouldn't be....we'll see!) we usually stay put -- in fact, I have never skied PC. I'm happy to run laps around Snow Dancer, Kokopelli and Chicane. :smile:

In the past the worst upticks have been on weekends particularly when there's fresh snow (and/or a holiday weekend). We usually try to book trips to be there during the week and travel on the "ends". But now it sounds like things are changing. I'm happy that they are figuring out new solutions to deal with overuse but sad if that means people will just "move on" to the next area to overuse. We have the epic so PC is our resort of choice in UT. I guess I'll see for myself in March.....

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
@rhymeandreason: could not agree more! this year has been great, even on the days that the base at Canyons has been crowded....once you make it UP the lifts - it is glorious! What a difference a year and some snow can make!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga