• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Organizing ALL the gear?!

carrieme

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Divas!

We are a family of 4 (me, hubs, 2 kiddos). How do you guys keep it all organized on ski trips? (# of Ski bags? # of gear bags?)

Bonus if you can share links!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Would help to know a bit more. What region do you ski the most? How old are the kids? How long is the drive to the mountain?

carrieme

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great questions! Kids are 5 and 7. Primarily weekend day trips with a few long weekends planned - always in the north east region.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My kids are 9 and 7. We boot up in the car. We have a Kulkea Tandem bag which I don't think they make anymore, but is basically like a family ski boot bag and it has four compartments. We put the kids gear in that and then my husband and I have our own boot bags, so that when we ski solo everything is where it needs to be. I have seen other families at the hill use duffel bags, ikea bags, and tupperware bins to organize their gear as well. The kids carry their own skis and poles to the lifts after booting up at the car. We are looking to get everyone their own boot bags that are compatible with airplane overhead compartments, but I haven't settled on an individual pack for them yet. At 5 and 7 we helped with carrying skis depending on how long the walk was from the car, but the 7 year old carried his own poles and sometimes ours as well as a trade off.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Although this is not adding anything useful to this discussion, it's still a pretty funny article I ran across last week, and very true, from my observations of ski families! (PS -- Kudos to all you ski parents: I don't know how you manage! I have enough trouble dealing with my own gear, let alone that of 1+ kiddos :wink:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I was often solo on ski trips with my daughter to our home mountain since my husband is a non-skier. We always stayed overnight since it's a 4-hour drive 1-way from our house. About half the time, we went with one of my daughter's friends and the the friend's non-skiing mom. I always had the kids carry something. We booted up at the lodge so usually they carried their own boots. We weren't skiing often enough to justify buying a boot bag until my daughter was about 9. Her friends rented gear. I would carry the skis. My daughter learned to carry her boots and 2 pairs of poles when it was just the two of us. The walk from the parking lot was relatively short so I could make a couple trips.

Kulkea makes good boot bags.

If you are willing to deal with eBay, there are used kids' boot bags available.

marzNC

Angel Diva
At Snowbound 2022 I discovered the Ski Pack by Pure Mountain Fun. It was great for me last season. Talked to the family at Snowbound 2023. The inventor is in 8th grade now. She said the original idea was a school project when she was in 4th grade. Comes in two sizes, small for kids and large for adults.

The family has 4 kids. The inventor said when they first went to their home mountain with the home made version, parents were asking where they could buy one. Later on after the kids' version was commercially available, adults were asking if they could get one.

The Ski Pack inventor at Snowbound 2023 (standing in front of the booth backdrop)
Snowbound 2023 The Ski Pack.jpeg

Cpnwgsp

Certified Ski Diva
I often took my kids and an additional friend or two to the mountain on my own. I started early making them responsible for their own stuff. we’d do a mental head to toe (or toe to head) checklist together before leaving: start at feet and work up naming/checking each thing you’ll need: boots, socks, ski pants, extra layer, jacket,, pass, pocket snacks, neck gator, helmet, goggles, gloves. We still do it because big people forget things too!

I’m a fan of boot bags. Make sure they are together the night before. Once back home, they bring their own stuff in the house and hang it up if it needs to dry before being put away.

also, Once they got a bit bigger they were in charge of putting skis on the roof rack. I would do a check but that’s it.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
At Snowbound 2022 I discovered the Ski Pack by Pure Mountain Fun. It was great for me last season. Talked to the family at Snowbound 2023. The inventor is in 8th grade now. She said the original idea was a school project when she was in 4th grade. Comes in two sizes, small for kids and large for adults.

The family has 4 kids. The inventor said when they first went to their home mountain with the home made version, parents were asking where they could buy one. Later on after the kids' version was commercially available, adults were asking if they could get one.

The Ski Pack inventor at Snowbound 2023 (standing in front of the booth backdrop)
View attachment 21938
These were great. Very comfortable and a super nice family owns the company.

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We always had a ski/snowboard bag for each person. it got complicated when I was skiing a lot with two kids that weren’t mine and their mom didn’t ski. She would not check their gear when they got home, so they would be missing goggles, socks, mittens, etc. It was so much hassle that I just kept their stuff with me. That allowed me to air out everything and wash what needed washed and repack so I avoided all that last minute prep. i just grabbed the kids, their bags, and hit the road. One more tip…if you fly get a roll of bright ribbon and make sure all bags including ski and snowboard bags have the same color and pattern of ribbon. That way you can just say to any shuttle driver or helper “there are ‘x’ bags and they all have this ribbon.

teppaz

Angel Diva

View attachment 21938
Wow that thing looks great!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Great suggestions so far, and I think a lot depends on how old your kids are.

The first year we skied as a family, it was just kids (11/8) and I. I used a BlueQ zippered bag for ALLLLL the things. My stuff was in a ski bag. Kids were learning how to do EVERYTHING, so I was focused on that, rather than teaching them to manage their stuff. Year 2, husband was relearning how to ski and was coming back from an injury, so, to be able to focus on him manage my anxiety on that, I got the kids their own bags and started them managing their stuff. Now, each of us has our own bag and is responsible for checking/managing our own stuff. Kids are 14/11 and sometimes need a little mental nudge, but overall, it’s great that they feel the responsibility and when they grow up, they’ll know how to manage their stuff.

To be fair, we have a roof box and an SUV, so we can fit everything. It does create a bit of bulk.

If your kids are beyond 7 or 8, they can do this. Here is a mnemonic I use with mine: You must have your helmet and 3Gs… (gaiter, goggles, gloves). Boots (and other wet things as needed) go on the boot or clothing dryer after skiing and then need to be put away (into bag) so they’re already in there. We’ve had 1-2 near misses with things like coats and snowpants (because teenage boy) … but those times, he remembers when we’re a block from home, so really, I count it as a win.

FWIW, my friend who taught me the ikea bag/blue q bag method has since switched to the individual boot bag method…. It’s actually way better as they get old enough to go on their own/with friends!

Good luck!

KWlovessnow

Angel Diva
Great suggestions so far, and I think a lot depends on how old your kids are.

The first year we skied as a family, it was just kids (11/8) and I. I used a BlueQ zippered bag for ALLLLL the things. My stuff was in a ski bag. Kids were learning how to do EVERYTHING, so I was focused on that, rather than teaching them to manage their stuff. Year 2, husband was relearning how to ski and was coming back from an injury, so, to be able to focus on him manage my anxiety on that, I got the kids their own bags and started them managing their stuff. Now, each of us has our own bag and is responsible for checking/managing our own stuff. Kids are 14/11 and sometimes need a little mental nudge, but overall, it’s great that they feel the responsibility and when they grow up, they’ll know how to manage their stuff.

To be fair, we have a roof box and an SUV, so we can fit everything. It does create a bit of bulk.

If your kids are beyond 7 or 8, they can do this. Here is a mnemonic I use with mine: You must have your helmet and 3Gs… (gaiter, goggles, gloves). Boots (and other wet things as needed) go on the boot or clothing dryer after skiing and then need to be put away (into bag) so they’re already in there. We’ve had 1-2 near misses with things like coats and snowpants (because teenage boy) … but those times, he remembers when we’re a block from home, so really, I count it as a win.

FWIW, my friend who taught me the ikea bag/blue q bag method has since switched to the individual boot bag method…. It’s actually way better as they get old enough to go on their own/with friends!

Good luck!
We have a very similar system. I started with one big bag but soon moved to boot bags. Even when I was organizing for them when they were younger, having a specific compartment for each item made organizing so much easier. Now that my kids are 10 and 12 they are pros at packing their boot bag for skiing each week. They each have their own ski shelf in the laundry room for all the ski gear which also helps.

I really love the 3Gs. Good idea to help remember the small (but super important) stuff

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Big bag per kid (7 and 10); everything that isn't a ski or pole gets put in the bag the night before and double-checked before leaving the house. At the hill, the kids carry their own gear after booting up in the car.

As they start to go with friends more, I might have to look into an actual boot bag, but for now the big IKEA-ish bags work.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When my daughters started skiing at 4 & 6, DH and I each had a big bag and each took responsibility for one of the kids stuff. Having one kid's gear with one adult's made it much easier to sort the gear when booting up vs having both girl's stuff in the same bag.

Besi

Diva in Training
We're at 20-30+ day a year family with a 6yo and 10yo. My DH is a patroller so we have a parking lot steps from the slope and change room. We transport everything in individual boot bags and all skis in a trapski (awesome thing for holding skis https://trapski.com) in the bed of the pickup. That's the home mountain set up, travel skiing is similar but boot in the car and carry the skis in praying we don't have to ride the shuttle haha. One of our travel mountains has ski out condos we stay in, which is nice we change in the condo. I absolutely hated having everything loose in the car or truck bed, we could never make it to the mountain w/ everything.

twirlygirl

Diva in Training
IMG_1086.jpegWe’ve had 1-2 near misses with things like coats and snowpants (because teenage boy) … but those times, he remembers when we’re a block from home, so really, I count it as a win.

I hear you on those near misses! Here we are on the first day of a week-long trip to Vermont, in which no one -- not my son, not my husband, and not me -- realized that no one had packed either of our tween's jackets. Fortunately, it was a warm day, and it was in mid February and we found a great jacket on sale...

tika55

Certified Ski Diva
My kids are 9 and 11. We do a lot of day/weekend trips in CO and one long trip. Here is what I do. First, my kids have a ski trip checklist that is laminated. They adjust the # of long underwear, socks, etc. needed for the # of days we are skiing. This really helps all of us. In terms of organization, I pack all ski base layers, socks, and outer layers in a giant Patagonia black hole. Kids pack change of clothes in a small backpack along with entertainment for the car. Gloves, goggles, boots, balaklavas, and helmets go in the ski boot bag. The balaklavas get washed and then go straight back in. Skis go on top of the car, poles in the back, and I always count before I leave to ensure the # of skis and poles matches the # of people in the car. I also lay out all gear in order from closest to furthest from skin to ensure nothing has been missed. I am not very organized so I really have to double check everything. Finally I always ensure the pass is in the pocket before I pack the coat in the bag.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga